Geekend Update: Reuseable Rockets, 3D Printed Implants, and Life on Mars

Ashley Esqueda

Jan 15, 2013
Reuseable Rockets, 3D Printed Implants, and Life on Mars

Your weekly look at the most interesting science stories in the ever-expanding universe.

Don't fret, folks, we'll be talking about the Higgs Boson confirmation next week! For more on the stories this week, you can read about Life on Mars [http://www.spacex.com/press.php?page=20130310].

To submit your favorite science stories or intro suggestions, send us an email here: [email protected]

Watch Video

ellers07

Feb 24, 2013
What a nice addition to the Escapist! Thank you for bringing a video series to look forward to on the "Geekend." I like that term much more than I should. I really enjoyed this episode and didn't realize there was one before it. I think it's time to go check that one out.

Thanks again and I'm looking forward to next week's Higgs Boson segment (there's something I don't get to say very often).

socialmenace42

May 8, 2010
Ok, this eoisode convinced me somewhat more than the last, can't quite put my finger on why though...

Oh also, as a nurse on an A&E post-OP ward; bio-polymer implants sound like seriously good news, even if it is still in its early stages.Can't overstate the number of problems this may help to solve in the coming years.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
umbraticus said:
love the new show... but hate the host :s
Ok, as constructive criticism goes, that's not very helpful. Is there anything in particular that you don't enjoy?

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
NASA can't say "life on Mars" anymore unless they find fossils, live microbial life, or some green skinned fellow wanting to say hi. No more of this "Might possibly perhaps at one point could have theoretically suggested" crap when they want media attention.

EGtodd09

Oct 20, 2010
I'd be interested in that slightly old story about negative Kelvin temperatures getting on the show.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
I'm quite glad to see more science news on the escapist.

I've missed that weekly science column you guys had running some time back.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
Ohhh, I do enjoy this show.

I personally think that everything about this show is good. I like the host, she sounds like she understands most of the science.

umbraticus

May 4, 2011
Susan Arendt said:
umbraticus said:
Ok, as constructive criticism goes, that's not very helpful. Is there anything in particular that you don't enjoy?
it's the way she 'brings' the news. it feels kind of staged or fake. good intonation and pauses at the right moment are important to keep attention, but sometimes she gets too close to some form overacting. i think the first segment about the rocket and how she explains why it's so important, is a good example.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
I like her, she's funny. Can we keep her? Pretty please?

I like this show more than her other one -the commercially one - but then I like science more than looking at things I can't afford.

Ugh, I hate writing posts on my phone. This took me almost five minutes to write instead of the 30 seconds it would've taken on a computer. Can we have mobile friendly Escapist soon too?

LordFish

May 29, 2012
umbraticus said:
Susan Arendt said:
umbraticus said:
it's the way she 'brings' the news. it feels kind of staged or fake. good intonation and pauses at the right moment are important to keep attention, but sometimes she gets too close to some form overacting. i think the first segment about the rocket and how she explains why it's so important, is a good example.
I really liked the content, and the H2G2 reference at the beginning :)

As for a mild critique; firstly let me say that 'bad for the escapist' is still very good in terms of the whole internet. You guys do an amazing job and well deserved crown of best lifestyle website in the universe. However I think Umbraticus has hit the nail on the head, the delivery is a little too sterile, and not very 'Escapisty'.

I know that may be a little hard to interpret but the rest of your videos set such a high standard. I'd say Reel Physics has a lot of delicious Escapistiness, I get the feeling they are having a good time filming it, same can be said for Greg doing Escapist News Wrap. In both these cases I feel like I am being talked to, not being talked at.

I'd like to finish on a positive; Ashley's twitter feed demonstrates she's a fantastically fun person and fabulous nerd, I think the viewers would just like that relayed in her content.

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
Holy crap, the classic rocket ships from movies in the 1950s got it right, spaceships in the future WILL take off and land verticaly!

MIND BLOWN!

Ashley Esqueda

Jan 15, 2013
LordFish said:
umbraticus said:
Susan Arendt said:
umbraticus said:
I really liked the content, and the H2G2 reference at the beginning :)

As for a mild critique; firstly let me say that 'bad for the escapist' is still very good in terms of the whole internet. You guys do an amazing job and well deserved crown of best lifestyle website in the universe. However I think Umbraticus has hit the nail on the head, the delivery is a little too sterile, and not very 'Escapisty'.

I know that may be a little hard to interpret but the rest of your videos set such a high standard. I'd say Reel Physics has a lot of delicious Escapistiness, I get the feeling they are having a good time filming it, same can be said for Greg doing Escapist News Wrap. In both these cases I feel like I am being talked to, not being talked at.

I'd like to finish on a positive; Ashley's twitter feed demonstrates she's a fantastically fun person and fabulous nerd, I think the viewers would just like that relayed in her content.
Oh, I appreciate that you saw my Twitter feed. I like to have fun on the internet (that's what it's there for, right?) --

I've been creating shows for a few years now, and I actually understand this critique...

Whenever I create a new show, it takes a while for me to warm up to a couple of things:

- The production schedule (which, in the case of the GU, is very quick turnaround, so not much time for rehearsals)
- The audience viewing the content and what they want in terms of personality, overlapped with what the tone Susan and I discussed when we mapped out the show
- The groove of the show

Just like any host you've probably seen on TV, it takes a few episodes for them to sort of "settle in" to their show, and I'm definitely the same way! My very first show for Mobile Nations was horrible!

I can promise that over time, I shall be more comfortable in my new Escapist homes, and hopefully loosen up a bit in terms of presentation.

HOWEVER (and this is very important!):

I am admittedly a huge ham and cheese sandwich. Extra ham, extra cheese. And that, my friends, will never go away.

AngelSword

Castles & Chemo Founder
Oct 19, 2008
Not bad info. But I don't understand the point of the weird recap montage after a segment. >_>