Gen is ending, what are most overrated games this gen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-cell

Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Hello friends,

So this gen is finally coming to end, what games you believe are most overrated games released this gen.

heres what i think

1. The Witcher 3: Terrible combat, Terrible controls, too much talking, and its just another typical ubisoft style open world game that praise as best thing ever.

2. Wolfenstein new order and new colossus: Machinegames made wolfenstein as worst FPS franchise today as these 2 are easily some of the worst FPS i have ever played, when new order was released it was praise as best FPS in years when entire game was just cutscene driven, follow linear path, on rail segment etc and sequel manage to make it even worse by having 20 minutes cutcenes after cutscenes which tell terrible story. and focus too much on mediocre stealth segments. perfect example of how not to make FPS.

3. Rise of Tomb raider: Each and every game become worse and shadow is worst of all but it was not praised at all too compare to Rise. newer tomb raider games are just walking in straight line, QTE, terrible combat, lara wine every time like this is sooo hard. easily some of worst games ever made.

4. Metal Gear solid 5 Fantom Payne: Game is dull as dishwasher, it has most bland open world i have ever seen with having most repetetive missions and objective and main character have zero personality at all. its basically third person far cry.

5. Resident Evil 2 Remake: while i quite liked this game but its an average zombie action game that is 4 to 6 hour short and having 1 or 2 location in entire game.

so my friends, what you think are most overrated games released this gen?

lets discuss

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Hello friends,

So this gen is finally coming to end, what games you believe are most overrated games released this gen.

heres what i think

1. The Witcher 3: Terrible combat, Terrible controls, too much talking, and its just another typical ubisoft style open world game that praise as best thing ever.

2. Wolfenstein new order and new colossus: Machinegames made wolfenstein as worst FPS franchise today as these 2 are easily some of the worst FPS i have ever played, when new order was released it was praise as best FPS in years when entire game was just cutscene driven, follow linear path, on rail segment etc and sequel manage to make it even worse by having 20 minutes cutcenes after cutscenes which tell terrible story. and focus too much on mediocre stealth segments. perfect example of how not to make FPS.

3. Rise of Tomb raider: Each and every game become worse and shadow is worst of all but it was not praised at all too compare to Rise. newer tomb raider games are just walking in straight line, QTE, terrible combat, lara wine every time like this is sooo hard. easily some of worst games ever made.

4. Metal Gear solid 5 Fantom Payne: Game is dull as dishwasher, it has most bland open world i have ever seen with having most repetetive missions and objective and main character have zero personality at all. its basically third person far cry.

5. Resident Evil 2 Remake: while i quite liked this game but its an average zombie action game that is 4 to 6 hour short and having 1 or 2 location in entire game.

so my friends, what you think are most overrated games released this gen?

lets discuss
I'm going for Doom, Doom Eternal, and Prey. Too much soyboy leftist SJW female walking simulator in them. No true man could play those games.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Rise of the Tomb Raider was highly rated? By who?

I mean, I know you like throwing 'overrated' around like it's popcorn, but that's a fucking stretch.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
That one game that you really like, its totally over-rated and you probably have rather bad taste for enjoying it as much as you do.

Silence

Living undeath to the fullest
Legacy
Sep 21, 2014
Country
Germany
Disagree with Witcher 3 solely because of the writing ... and because it's not another Ubisoft game. But then, if you knock points off it, because you complain about too much talking in an RPG, maybe it's just not for you.

Which you can very clearly see if you look at AC:Odyssey, which is way overrated, because it is just a cheap knockoff of Witcher 3 with actually bad writing, actual grind and actual bad quests.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Probably Destiny & Destiny 2, in that they created a great deal of unearned hype (and the second one somehow still has a huge following).

Pretty by-the-numbers shooter, with a somewhat uninspired atmosphere & repetitive loop to keep people coming back... and it uses an external website to tell the background and lore, which is just so weak.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Lol. 'Overrated' is always 'popular games I personally don't like'.

For me that would be anything by Naughty Dog, so Uncharted 4. I also didn't really like Horizon Zero Dawn, Spiderman, God of War etc. Those games have that same laborious artificiality Hollywood movies have where with every scene the reaction of the audience is front and center of the design process. Just playing those games is tiresome to me.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Animal Crossing: New Horizon
The game is "too positive"; There's no conflict or anything wrong going on. Whereas in Stardew Valley, there are conflicts between villagers you can resolve.

Marvel's Spiderman
I like the game, don't get me wrong. But if you take away the name "spiderman", it just becomes another generic single-player open world game

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
Again, the game is pretty damn good, and the environment is great looking, but I raise by eyebrows when I hear "It's better than souls games!" There are definitely things the game does better, but not all

Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order
I think the sole reason why this game got so much praise is because it was a single-player game from EA, which contradicts what they have said in the past. It's a good game for sure, but not that good. The story is another jedi vs sith, "trust the force" type of game, and is painfully predictable. The combat can be challenging, but I feel it's watered down version of Sekiro. Remember that one gaming journalist who complained about Sekiro being too hard? Well here's the answer

Hollow Knight
Can't tell if this game is trying to be a traditional metroidvania or 2d souls-like game

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Hollow Knight
Can't tell if this game is trying to be a traditional metroidvania or 2d souls-like game
Yes

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
Again, the game is pretty damn good, and the environment is great looking, but I raise by eyebrows when I hear "It's better than souls games!" There are definitely things the game does better, but not all
Yeah, in some ways it's better then souls, such as having dedicated platforming controls(finally) and the ability to use the enivorment to kite and suprise enemies, not to mention often having idols near boss arenas avoiding long trudges back for the 2000th time. OTOH, there is often the one way to deal with a boss and little else and that makes for a very sharp difficulty curve since your damage and vitality are strictly controlled so beefing yourself up, summoning and trying different weapons don't work as a stop gap. The True Final Boss is probably the hardest FROM boss and certainly the hardest mandatory one.

Also, while the boss battles tend to be unique and interesting, the mini-bosses have a pretty bad case of copy-pasting going on. How many sumo looking dudes with a long sword and bad breath were there in that game? 3? 4?

Last edited:

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Replacing "overrated" with "games I don't like as much as everyone else seems to," I'll nominate:

-Gears of War 3 (this is arguably a stretch, but it's my second least favourite Gears game, whereas most people seem to rank it much higher)

-Doom 2016 (you all know how I feel about this game by now, I don't need to belabour the point, especially since Doom Eternal fixed the issues I had with it)

-Wolfenstein: The New Order (I like the gameplay, but the story is lacklustre, yet bizzarely, it's the story that gets the most credit it seems)

-BioShock Infinite (gameplay-wise, it's a step down from its predecessor. Storywise, it tries to explore racism, classism, and time travel, and only does the first of those things well)

-Overwatch (I like Overwatch, but it's hardly worthy of the acclaim it got - GOTY, really?)

Status
Not open for further replies.