Gena Davis institute on Gender in media tries to link violent games to mass shootings and police violence

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Why not? There's a great many people for whom "being hetero" is an identity and culture. I get a lot of their cringy Facebook adds.

I mean, you're technically correct: being heterosexual should only be about who you enjoy having sex with, but uh...not quite how that's shaking out these days. Not yet
Yes, there are some for whom "being hetero" is more than that. You can pretty much always find some weirdos for everything if you look hard enough in socal media. But do those actually form more than some fringe group ? I don't know a single hetero person for whom that is some kind of cultural idendity.

Reactions: Hawki

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Why not? There's a great many people for whom "being hetero" is an identity and culture. I get a lot of their cringy Facebook ads.

I mean, you're technically correct: being heterosexual should only be about who you enjoy having sex with, but uh...not quite how that's shaking out these days. Not yet
No that's just Axe body spray adverts you keep getting lol

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, there are some for whom "being hetero" is more than that. You can pretty much always find some weirdos for everything if you look hard enough in socal media. But do those actually form more than some fringe group ? I don't know a single hetero person for whom that is some kind of cultural idendity.
Maybe you don't know anyone who has explicitly acknowledged it as a part of their identity.

But the men who make a sport of picking up girls at clubs, or boasting about sexual exploits to their mates, have made sexuality a part of their identity: used it for bonding, and to create an image of themselves. And its also true to say that a lot of them would not react with the same kind or mutual encouragement if one of them was to try to talk about a same-sex sexual exploit.

So yes, it might not be acknowledged explicitly as such, but heterosexuality is a part of their projected identity. I've met more than a few people like this.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
That sounds a lot like projecting.

Also, no, never been part of a circle where such behavior was even remotely common or accepted. Sex is pretty private here and not something to boast with or a topic for bonding.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
That's probably because heterosexuality is the societal default, so there's little need for straights to express themselves as straight. Society is already expressing their sexuality for them, comforting them in it 24/7.

Reactions: Jarrito3002

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
That sounds a lot like projecting.
Projecting? So you're accusing me of boasting about sexual exploits? That's a weird personal accusation to make.

Also, no, never been part of a circle where such behavior was even remotely common or accepted. Sex is pretty private here and not something to boast with or a topic for bonding.
Good for you. That's not true where I live, or where I grew up, or where I attended higher education. It was very common.

Come to think of it, I seem to remember the leader of the free world boasting about grabbing a woman's genitals, and one of the most common defences of his behaviour was that it was "locker room talk", and that that's just how men talk to each other 🤔

Last edited:

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Good for you. That's not true where I live, or where I grew up, or where I attended higher education. It was very common.

Come to think of it, I seem to remember the leader of the free world boasting about grabbing a woman's genitals, and one of the most common defences of his behaviour was that it was "locker room talk", and that that's just how men talk to each other 🤔
I'm just going to additionally throw out the fact that these exist: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truck_nuts

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
No, heterosexuality is exactly about who you enjoy having sex with and/or are attracted to. Nothing more.
The only reason you can say that with a straight face is because your definition of heterosexuality is nothing more. What would you call the heterosexual culture Terminal Blue described? It would be really bold to just call it sexism and then claim you've never even thought of it. But something else, maybe?
Maybe you don't know anyone who has explicitly acknowledged it as a part of their identity.
Personally I've seen it a few times too. Anyway if you think about it, there are people who are definitely outsiders to hetero culture while not being gay or queer or anything. They often aren't very exciting people. On top of them there are the people Satinavian describes: people that find sexual relationships private and let's call it taboo to discuss casually. I personally find having only neutered conversations with others pretty damn lame, but it might just be me having too much time to think about it all. Then again I find nothing wrong with Trump's pussy grabbin' talk.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Projecting? So you're accusing me of boasting about sexual exploits? That's a weird personal accusation to make.
No, projecting that sexuality is important for idendity for others as well, even if they never say so.

And no one aside from his sycophants accepted that excuse. Because normal people don't have such locker room talk.
The only reason you can say that with a straight face is because your definition of heterosexuality is nothing more. What would you call the heterosexual culture Terminal Blue described? It would be really bold to just call it sexism and then claim you've never even thought of it. But something else, maybe?
The thing is that what TerminalBlue describes is nothing i can recognize. That doesn't mean that such a mindset (which certainly is both sexist and heteronormative) does not exist. You will always find some people. But it can't be widespread among heterosexuals so calling it hetero culture is at least misleading.

Reactions: Hawki

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
I am too immersed in pudding to see all the pudding around me, you guys must be lying about all this pudding you’re talking about.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
All movies that have happy endings should include in that ending orgies with a wide variety of titillating kinky sex; they should have something for everyone, even somehow the people who want nothing at all.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
All movies that have happy endings should include in that ending orgies with a wide variety of titillating kinky sex; they should have something for everyone, even somehow the people who want nothing at all.
If we’re both gonna do this we need to line up our jokes or else we’re just gonna look silly.

Reactions: Seanchaidh

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
The thing is that what TerminalBlue describes is nothing i can recognize.
I dunno if this can be true. For a very clear example men are the initiators in sexual and romantic relationships, and that's very much a cultural thing. Of course in the thread they discussed what's being the "active one" in a relationship which is different and at least imo that's been more equal over here for some time now. But initiation is what guys expect from themselves and girls expect from guys, and going against that, while a small change in theory, doesn't happen as much.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
A lot of what's being described here strikes me as bro culture, not "hetrosexual culture," if there is such a thing.

Frankly, I don't think there's such a thing, because I don't think you can, for instance, say there's such a thing as "homosexual culture" either for instance. Not without projecting or getting into stereotypes. If you're going to lump millions, or even billions of people together because of their sexuality, then, well, keep in mind that some people have done that before (and do), and generally not with good intentions.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble