General Gaming News.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Sometimes news will be small and not worth an entire thread, so why not make one for different gaming news.

Sony already owns Insomniac games, the developers of Microsoft's funny but not super outstanding Sunset Overdrive. But apparently they've not gotten the rights to the Sunset Overdrive IP, which was Microsoft exclusive. Which means that any future games and maybe even a remaster of the original can now be exclusive to Sony.

Not really the biggest take considering the luke-warm reception of the first game, but Insomniac has been making killer games ever since so perhaps a Sunset 2 could be a major step up over the first game and now exclusive to Sony.

EDIT: You beat me to it!!!! ARGH

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Sony already owns Insomniac games, the developers of Microsoft's funny but not super outstanding Sunset Overdrive. But apparently they've not gotten the rights to the Sunset Overdrive IP, which was Microsoft exclusive. Which means that any future games and maybe even a remaster of the original can now be exclusive to Sony.

Not really the biggest take considering the luke-warm reception of the first game, but Insomniac has been making killer games ever since so perhaps a Sunset 2 could be a major step up over the first game and now exclusive to Sony.

EDIT: You beat me to it!!!! ARGH
Insomniac has always made killer games when they weren’t under Microsoft.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Insomniac has always made killer games when they weren’t under Microsoft.
Sunset Overdrive is a fun, decent game, but it's a game that was already dated the day it launched. It's obviously an early 2010s game. Filled with too many memes that were already considered dated/dead, and jokes that are in the later seasons of Family Guy. Also, it's as close as we're gonna get to a Jet Set Radio sequel at the time.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Yeah sunset overdrive is a fun simple game that doesn't really leave an impression, grab it for 10$ and you'll be real happy with your purchase (if you like its type of humour).

I doubt there'll ever be a sequel, I'd rather a resistance sequel to be honest. It overlap too much with saint row (although it's been awhile since the last rows game so maybe they're dead?).

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I doubt there'll ever be a sequel, I'd rather a resistance sequel to be honest.
I rather they just port the trilogy to modern consoles. The best you would get for Resistance is a reboot. The 3rd game is the series finale, and The Chimera are not coming back from that.

It overlap too much with saint row (although it's been awhile since the last rows game so maybe they're dead?).
Agents of Mayhem happened. The spin-off is not good and most people have forgotten about it.

Reactions: Fallen Soldier

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Agents of Mayhem happened. The spin-off is not good and most people have forgotten about it.
Yeah I remember Mayhem, but even that was 4 years ago so I wonder if the team bet on everything on it and when it flopped they were doomed. Haven't played it (its often on heavy discount of steam so maybe I'll grab it for 5$) but I remember review/preview made it seem pretty boring and the gimmick of being able to control different hero didn't appeal to me.

In other small news, blizzard is losing a lot of users across all their games.

They don't seem to have many game ready for the force able future (with OW2 being at least a year away iirc) so the situation will keep deterioration for them. Crazy to think that not too long ago Blizzard was the king of PC market.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I had a lot of fun with Sunset Overdrive on the Xbox One. I tried to play it on PC, but the port wasn't great.

I'll be interested to see what Sony do with the IP, though.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Ooof, another one gone. Does Capcom still have any of its big name creative leads left? Then again, Capcom has imo done pretty well these last few years, so you could say it doesn't really matter whether those industry legends are still around.
Crazy to think that not too long ago Blizzard was the king of PC market.
I blame Activision. For no particular reason other than mere association.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Ooof, another one gone. Does Capcom still have any of its big name creative leads left? Then again, Capcom has imo done pretty well these last few years, so you could say it doesn't really matter whether those industry legends are still around.
This part is nothing new, as everyone knew Ono was leaving. Capcom's got a lot of new blood, and so far, they've been pulling the company out of the rut. Hideaki Itsuno is still around, so there is that. A few other old bloods as well, but I am not familiar with all of their names.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fallen Soldier

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
This part nothing new, as everyone knew Ono was leaving. Capcom's got a lot of new blood, and so far, they've been pulling the company out of the rut. Hideaki Itsuno is still around, so there is that. A few other old bloods as well, but I am not familiar with all of their names.
True, and folks leaving Capcom gave us Platinum, so it's not necessarily a bad thing. Inti Creates is not as high profile, but they've made a pretty decent line-up of games carrying on the spirit of 8/16-bit era Capcom. Comcept ... euh, moving on. Tango Gameworks is a bit mixed, kind of depends on whether you like either or both of the Evil Withins. Overal a net win, I'd say.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
True, and folks leaving Capcom gave us Platinum, so it's not necessarily a bad thing. Inti Creates is not as high profile, but they've made a pretty decent line-up of games carrying on the spirit of 8/16-bit era Capcom. Comcept ... euh, moving on. Tango Gameworks is a bit mixed, kind of depends on whether you like either or both of the Evil Withins. Overal a net win, I'd say.
I love both Evil Within games. I do have a preference for the sequel though. Both of those games felt like Resident Evil games than 5, 6, 7 or 8. The first Evil Within game was just re4, but The Cell or The Matrix.

How Comcept is still around at this point is beyond me.

Last edited:

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Yeah I remember Mayhem, but even that was 4 years ago so I wonder if the team bet on everything on it and when it flopped they were doomed. Haven't played it (its often on heavy discount of steam so maybe I'll grab it for 5$) but I remember review/preview made it seem pretty boring and the gimmick of being able to control different hero didn't appeal to me.
It felt a lot like Crackdown when I played it honestly. It was fine I guess? I didn't really stick with it too long, but the tone was incredibly tongue-in-cheek. I played maybe 2 hours or so of it, shut it down one night to go to bed, and didn't load it back up. Comparing it Crackdown might be misleading, I didn't find it as fun as Crackdown, not by half, but it had that general feel to it, as far as mechanics and the way you dealt with challenges. The humor was ok, if you like Saints Row style of humor. Nothing that really stands out, as I honestly forgot the game existed until I read this thread and was like "oh yeah, I own that game, I even played it a bit."

So, you know, not a sterling review.

Reactions: Dalisclock