General Movies, Music, Web Show, and TV News Thread

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I stand corrected. This would still fall under the 'woman shows up men' line of scrutiny though.
I personally disagree. I mean, Ripley gets as much side eye as Burke AND Gorman, the latter of whom they don't treat with much open disdain - until shit goes epically sideways - only because he is their superior officer. Being wary of an untested civilian on a military operation is like character distrust 101 in military action movies.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I personally disagree. I mean, Ripley gets as much side eye as Burke AND Gorman, the latter of whom they don't treat with much open disdain - until shit goes epically sideways - only because he is their superior officer. Being wary of an untested civilian on a military operation is like character distrust 101 in military action movies.
I know, but just as Peter Parker was seen by the usual crowd as white people being ridiculed in Across the Spider-Verse, Ripley would be seen as showing up the men in Aliens. The only difference being Aliens doesn't fall into the timeline when everything was starting to be seen as woke, but those triggers that would set off people like the Critical Drinker are certainly there.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I know, but just as Peter Parker was seen by the usual crowd as white people being riduculed in Across the Spider-Verse, Ripley would be seen as showing up the men in Aliens. The only difference being Aliens doesn't fall into the timeline when everything was starting to be seen as woke, but those triggers that would set off people like the Critical Drinker are certainly there.
I don't disagree; if someone did the joke between Vasquez and Hudson now, whomever that character was would be YouTube grift fodder for the next thousand fucking years.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Then look outside the MCU or any of the other franchise factory movies. Aim your arrows at the ivory tower of Hollywood. They're not tearing down what I assume in this case is straight white people anymore than they're building up gay people or women. Look at the big blockbuster movies that came out this year and tell me 90% of them weren't about straight white men. Not meant as a critique here, just to show a frame of reference for this supposed overtaking of pandering and tearing down of the straight whites. Hollywood is comfortably swimming within the capitalist bounds of the status quo, and will never rock the boat until someone from outside does it first and makes money off of it. The only reason we're getting the sliver of "pandering" from Hollywood now is because other forms of media, namely cartoons and some streaming shows, were there 10 years ago.

No, it's their fault for putting the blame squarely on women, and framing the narrative that diversity and all those who would fall within it - woman, gay, lesbian, black, asian, trans, non-binary - make movies worse and are not welcome. People got pissed at the reveal trailer for The Force Awakens because it started with a black stormtrooper. What, were people fatigued by black people in movies?

And The Marvels was NEVER going win over the reactionaries. The Critical Drinker and his ilk were licking their chops at the prospect of tearing into it, for not only was it a female led team-up movie, it starred Brie Larson: she who took the anti-Christ crown from Anita Sarkeesian.

Also, what would the "wrong reasons" for these movies being made be? Success or failure depends little on the behind-the-scenes intention. We had a toy movie and a videogame movie making billions this year, based mostly on brand recognition and marketing. Was that the right reason or the wrong reason to make those movies?

Guess which movie kickstarted the anti-woke outrage industry... Mad Max: Fury Road. Max was taking orders from a woman, boo.
The wrong reasons a lot of the recent girl power movies are made have to do with them exuding a level of insecurity that rivals misogyny. When the only notable aspect of a story is “See? I can do whatever a man can do, even better!” it should send up red flags. There is no shortage of examples out in the wild documenting people’s awareness of this.

All written by women by the way. Does that make them all self-haters, or are they simply discerning enough to see through yet another brand of toxic Hollywood bullshit?

This all doesn’t let men off the hook either though. There is a healthy way to promote masculinity and a childish way.

FTR I loved Fury Road. If there was an uproar about it then that certainly didn’t affect the general reception of it being really well made. Because it was. Although that leads to another issue that the second article brings up -
Superhero films and all-female reboots are part of the myth-making machinery of contemporary neoliberal feminism. Gender inequality is acknowledged, but responsibility for addressing the problem lies with individual women. We turn a blind eye to the social structures that uphold inequalities.

Take, for example, the structural issue of how few women are writing, directing and producing our films and TV shows. Traditionally risk-averse studios shy away from new stories created by women. Among the top 100 grossing films of 2017, women represented only 8% of directors, 10% of writers, 2% of cinematographers, 24% of producers and 14% of editors. The female ghostbusters, scoundrels and superheroes urge young female audiences to self-empowerment, but, at the same time, they often mask the value systems underpinning the stories themselves, as well as the politics of their production.

Maybe it’s about time that more women are seen behind the camera as well as in front of it.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The wrong reasons a lot of the recent girl power movies are made have to do with them exuding a level of insecurity that rivals misogyny. When the only notable aspect of a story is “See? I can do whatever a man can do, even better!” it should send up red flags. There is no shortage of examples out in the wild documenting people’s awareness of this.

All written by women by the way. Does that make them all self-haters, or are they simply discerning enough to see through yet another brand of toxic Hollywood bullshit?

This all doesn’t let men off the hook either though. There is a healthy way to promote masculinity and a childish way.

FTR I loved Fury Road. If there was an uproar about it then that certainly didn’t affect the general reception of it being really well made. Because it was. Although that leads to another issue that the second article brings up -
Superhero films and all-female reboots are part of the myth-making machinery of contemporary neoliberal feminism. Gender inequality is acknowledged, but responsibility for addressing the problem lies with individual women. We turn a blind eye to the social structures that uphold inequalities.

Take, for example, the structural issue of how few women are writing, directing and producing our films and TV shows. Traditionally risk-averse studios shy away from new stories created by women. Among the top 100 grossing films of 2017, women represented only 8% of directors, 10% of writers, 2% of cinematographers, 24% of producers and 14% of editors. The female ghostbusters, scoundrels and superheroes urge young female audiences to self-empowerment, but, at the same time, they often mask the value systems underpinning the stories themselves, as well as the politics of their production.

Maybe it’s about time that more women are seen behind the camera as well as in front of it.
There is no "right" or "wrong" reason to make a movie, there's is only a reason - How the movie ultimately turns out is what matters, whether it had shallow or profound reasons.

And I'm obviously not defending Hollywood's hollow representation, but then that's not what reactionaries like the Critical Drinker or complaining about. They dislike representation and diversity period. Anyone spouting 'go woke go broke' or 'making the white people look bad' have zero interest in the politics of how more women in movies within the confines of patriarchy doesn't solve anything. Or how the diversity that we get is largely greenlit and overseen by old white straight cis men in charge.

Even the go-to examples of Ripley and Sarah Connor run into the issue of being strong by being more masculine/less feminine. Being strong female characters through the male lense.

There's conversations to be had about that, and far better channels on youtube by actual people of color and different sexualities who can speak from a place of experience and sincerity, NOT the Critical Drinker or Yellowflash or whoever else part of that space who only want to rage bait and milk the hate for diversity in movies, shows, and games.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Not to become redundant on what Shinji said, but I don't give a rat's ass about Critical Drinker, The Quartering, or others like them. They're reactionaries that hate diversity and don't give a crap when it's done right. There's plenty of movies and shows that have done it right. The fact that Critical Drinker clip includes Wakanda Forever on his rant about how "all these Marvel movies and shows make men incompetent/foolish", which is definitely not true. These guys never bring up good examples or ignoring down play when they do something right or achieve higher than what was ever imagined. Whatever points they have are miniscule or they shoot themselves in the foot. They never talk about Owl House, Nimona, Inside Job, Wednesday Addams, Molly McGee, Glitch Techs, Blue Eye Samurai, Castlevania & Castlevania Nocturne, Amphibia, nor Ruby Gillman. Not unless they're down playing their accomplishments or exaggerating flaws that were never there to begin with. He already seen what these guys do with Nocturne, and it shows how sad pathetic and scared they're really are.

Focus on YouTubers that aren't just straight white guys with simple minded and narrow minded views of the world and people different from them. Look for people that are people of color, different genders, or part of the LBGTQ community. You already know about Double Toasted. Here's another user for you.

That's all I have to say on the matter and I'm not taking this any further. I'm sick and tired of these assholes and I don't care what they have to say at this point. It's all the same bull crap regurgitated over and over again with nothing to show for it other than the usual senseless hatred and disdain. You have great holiday and enjoy yourself.

Neat!

No. If they're going to do shaky cam again, then definitely no. There is nothing left for this franchise. No one cares anymore. I stopped caring immediately when the third movie ended.

Last edited:

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010

Doctor Who is retconning Davros so he's not disabled anymore, to avoid the disabled villain thing. Which...ok, Doctor Who has historically not been great with disabled villains, but they could just not bring him back, or have more disabled characters that weren't villains? It seems the later is being done, to some extent, though, but I'll not hold my breath for a disabled companion or Doctor.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Not interested. Don't fall for the trap and get your hopes up.
Not even if it’s animated?

Terminator: The Anime Series, and will be produced by the same Japanese animation studio responsible for the popular anime series Ghost in the Shell, Production IG.

The official synopsis for the new Terminator animated series on Netflix is as such. The year is 2022 and the war between humans and machines has been raging for decades. A brave soldier is sent back to the beginning of the war (1997) with the mission to protect a scientist by the name of Malcolm Lee.

Lee has the main goal of creating a new artificial intelligence system designed to compete with Skynet and save the world from the impending attack of the machines.

Malcolm is also hunted by a malevolent machine sent by Skynet to kill him, and the fate of his three children stands in the balance.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Not even if it’s animated?
If it were the mid 2000s? Yes. Now? I'll give credit for doing an anime, but it's not enough.

Terminator: The Anime Series, and will be produced by the same Japanese animation studio responsible for the popular anime series Ghost in the Shell, Production IG.
As much as I like IG, they don't always have heavy hitters either, and half of their catalogue are tech demos of some kind. I wish them the best of luck though.

The official synopsis for the new Terminator animated series on Netflix is as such. The year is 2022 and the war between humans and machines has been raging for decades. A brave soldier is sent back to the beginning of the war (1997) with the mission to protect a scientist by the name of Malcolm Lee.

Lee has the main goal of creating a new artificial intelligence system designed to compete with Skynet and save the world from the impending attack of the machines.

Malcolm is also hunted by a malevolent machine sent by Skynet to kill him, and the fate of his three children stands in the balance.
Everything about it is been there and done that, just no John or Sarah Connor this time. I will give them that, but I am jaded/tired/been beyond bored and annoyed with how 20th Century Fox keeps trying to bring back these 80s movie franchises and constantly failing. Prey has been the only exception so far, and that came out after The Predator (God that title is stupid and confusing). I can't even bother to care. If it turns out good, then more power to you and the creators. If not, then it's another one I am skipping. I'll wait until words gets out and from you or almost anyone on this forum. I make no promises though.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
If you've ever enjoyed this meme:
IMG_3187.jpeg

Then I highly recommend watching Reconquista in G, available on YouTube for free for the first time ever until Dec 10th. This dude is always this funny

Excellent sci fi work and best Gundam Turn A and the English dub of new kid The Witch from Mercury join it

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Ridley me this -
Both men ended up with different conclusions to life, bur Scorsese is more up his own ass about it. Ironic, as Ridley lost his younger brother, Tony, due to suicide. Yet he carries on and his attitude is the equivalent of Spike Spiegel. Whatever happens, happens.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2