General Movies, Music, Web Show, and TV News Thread

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
What a hero. What a model.

Will the documentary expand on his most successful strategies, such as "pretend to befriend people and give them self-destructive advices" and "become the confident of insecure competitors and further ruin their morale when they feel down", so that we can become more like him ?

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
What a hero. What a model.

Will the documentary expand on his most successful strategies, such as "pretend to befriend people and give them self-destructive advices" and "become the confident of insecure competitors and further ruin their morale when they feel down", so that we can become more like him ?
Well that kinda thing is probably forever confined to Pumping Iron. It’s true that Arnold was pretty ruthless in those days especially, when issues like psychological torment got precisely zero media attention from anyone. I mean think of it; he was just an extremely driven peasant boy from a small Austrian village, left home as soon as he could whereafter getting most of his guidance from drill instructors and weight lifters. Ethics played little part in his goals, until he met Maria most likely. I mean even in his Hollywood heydays he loved playing pranks on his costars; many of whom would then return the favor.

In terms of “shame on you, Arnold!” I’m thinking it will go into the love child thing more than anything else, because after his governor term ended was also about when that surfaced and his popularity took a bit of a nose dive.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
I mean even in his Hollywood heydays he loved playing pranks on his costars; many of whom would then return the favor.
Well, pranks are one thing (Moore did it a lot, Guiness did some too, it's harmless fun). Deliberately ruining people's carrer by earning their intimate trusts and weaponizing it against them is... just not a thing that comes to the mind of decent human beings, at all - and then proudly bragging about it even less. And this has nothing to do with being rich or poor at the time, it's just about moral compasses.

I'm less inclined to judge whatever complexity in his love life lead him to have a hidden child (which I didn't even know). It's less directly related to ill intent.

Reactions: BrawlMan

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Well, pranks are one thing (Moore did it a lot, Guiness did some too, it's harmless fun). Deliberately ruining people's carrer by earning their intimate trusts and weaponizing it against them is... just not a thing that comes to the mind of decent human beings, at all - and then proudly bragging about it even less. And this has nothing to do with being rich or poor at the time, it's just about moral compasses.

I'm less inclined to judge whatever complexity in his love life lead him to have a hidden child (which I didn't even know). It's less directly related to ill intent.
Not sure how true any of this is but apparently the dramatic psychological stuff was staged to make the movie more entertaining.

Whatever the case, Ferrigno and him are still good friends. Arnold has also gone on record that a lot of his comments were just for spectacle; for instance comparing the “pump” to having an orgasm. His charisma is what pretty much launched his acting career.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines

Can't say I disagree with his number 1. I am a little surprised that not a single Nolan Batman film made it to the list.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
People like zombie stories? Same reason Resident Evil keeps getting sequels.
At least Resident Evil has more than just zombies and knows how to mix it up. Walking Dead is just slow walking zombies combined with even more slow walking zombies. Added by a bunch of human characters no one gives a shit about.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
On one hand it's a trashy kinda exploitative show, and the UK version was way better.

On the other, what if there's another Amy's Baking Company?

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
On one hand it's a trashy kinda exploitative show, and the UK version was way better.

On the other, what if there's another Amy's Baking Company?

Had to look it up, and not to be judgmental but damn if those people don’t look like they’d fit the bill for this.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Had to look it up, and not to be judgmental but damn if those people don’t look like they’d fit the bill for this.
Fyi, the husband is some kind of mobster. Did time in Israel, has a rap sheet for drug and extortion charges, and is banned from Germany and France. Rumor is he married his wife for a green card, and the bakery was a money laundering front. Got deported from the US a couple years after the show aired.