Genius Apes Swarm the Streets in Trailer for Planet of the Apes Prequel

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Genius Apes Swarm the Streets in Trailer for Planet of the Apes Prequel

One day, scientists will learn that making animals super-smart is a mistake, but apparently not today.

One day, apes will rule the Earth, and humans will be nothing but livestock. That's according to seminal 1968 sci-fi movie, Planet of the Apes, which starred Charlton Heston as a astronaut who finds himself trapped in a simian dystopia after being stranded in the future by near-light speed space travel. This new movie, called Rise of the Planet of the Apes, is supposed to show how such a society came about, and the answer apparently involves medical science, and gorillas attacking police helicopters.

The movie stars James Franco as Will Rodman, a scientist working to cure neurological damage. Rodman tests a new serum on a chimpanzee,and not only finds that it works, but that it actually works a little too well. The chimp gets a great deal smarter, as well as great deal less happy with being cooped up in a cage, and mounts his escape. It's clear that at some point lots of other apes receive the serum as well, as the trailer shows a veritable army of ape aggressors roaming the streets, terrifying the populace of San Fransisco. The movie also stars Brian Cox, Harry Potter villain Tom Felton, and motion-capture legend Andy Serkis as the ape Caesar.

This isn't the first time that a movie has told the story of how the apes took over either. In the 1971 movie, Escape from the Planet of the Apes, three apes go back in time and see how the ape uprising began. This storyline is continued in Conquest of the Planet of the Apes and Battle for the Planet of the Apes. In those films, Serkis' character Caesar was the leader of the ape rebellion, and it seems reasonable to assume that that will be the case in this movie as well.

It's hard to really glean anything about movie from the trailer, as - like most first trailers - it's really just establishing the premise. It has sections were it looks like it could be really tense, like the "council" of apes in the white building, but it also has moments that look like a regular action movie, like the aforementioned section with the gorilla and the helicopter. One key point to remember, however, is that the apes will win the confrontation - the movie is about their rise to power after all - and that should put an interesting spin on things.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes arrives in theaters on August 5th.

Source: io9 [http://io9.com/#!5791946/watch-the-spine+tingling-first-trailer-for-rise-of-the-planet-of-the-apes]

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Looks like shit, I'd rather watch the old movies, they did it better. I'd also prefer costumed chimps to CGI

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Uhh, I'll pass on this one. The series is already beating the dead horse.

What's next? Jaws 5? Hellraiser 10? Scream 4?

[sub][sub][sub]Oh wait...[/sub][/sub][/sub]

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
I could escape this damn trailer all of yesterday on Justin.tv freakin' 15 second teaser played nonstop everywhere! XD

Always thought it was a fantastic premise, planet of the Apes. since apes are 2-3 times stronger, if they are as smart as we are you'd figure they should be able to dominate. but i can't imagine this happening overnight, less the plot has Caesar stealing the serum and inoculating all the primates in the greater San Francisco area XD

Mantonio

Apr 15, 2009
Oh great, another Sci-Fi movie that uses the fiction part to bash the science part.

'Some things aren't meant to be changed' the SECOND I heard that I knew what this movie was going to be like.

Mad Hamish

Mar 14, 2011
They should have done something like in Jurassic Park where the dinosaurs couldn't produce a vital amino acid and thus had to be supplied with it or they would die.

"Oh no, the apes escaped!"
One week later
"Well they're all dead now, problem solved."

Of course it wouldn't work if the apes understood about the deficiency and were able to supply themselves.

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
Well, there's your problem, two of your core science team are notorious stoners. Let them deal with the Apes and of course they'll take over the world, meanwhile the two responisable for the downfall of humanity will be getting baked, realize what happened and start laughing.

Lazarus Long

Nov 20, 2008
Mad Hamish said:
They should done something like in Jurassic Park where the dinosaurs couldn't produce a vital amino acid and thus had to be supplied with it or they would die.
Or: "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Flung poo on fire off the Santa Monica Freeway..."

As happy as I am for Weta making it to the big time, it chills my blood to see a special effects company called out in a trailer where one would expect to see the director (or, Crom forbid, a writer) name-dropped.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Hssssssssssssssss!!

Gxas is not pleased. And his father will be even less pleased.

Woem

May 28, 2009
I'm so sick of CGI. The Planet of the Apes remake of 2001 looks better than this one, ten years later. I'd rather buy the original pentalogy than see this one.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Do they really need "Planet of the"? It work a lot better as "Rise of the apes". Also the plot sound quite fishy. The plot is similar to that shark film "Deep Blue Sea" since it involve injecting a animal with come chemicals which result in a cure in some way but the side effect is giving it super intelligence and also killing people. How cheeky of them to steal that plot.

SpcyhknBC

Aug 24, 2009
Why can't there ever be a science fiction movie that praises and idolizes science instead of claiming how dangerous it is?

OT: I'm looking forward to this actually, even if it isn't up to the original movies standards, it's still gonna be a fun movie to watch.

ryai458

Oct 20, 2008
How would 8 billion humans be threatened by several million apes who are a little more intelligent?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Lazarus Long said:
Mad Hamish said:
They should done something like in Jurassic Park where the dinosaurs couldn't produce a vital amino acid and thus had to be supplied with it or they would die.
Or: "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Flung poo on fire off the Santa Monica Freeway..."
LOL!

But, no. Make up a new franchise, honestly.