Genres you hate and what you would do to make them enjoyable

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Bang Kaboom Ferrell said:
But one of the best part of western rpgs is the character creation
So? The thread asked for my opinion and I gave it. Western RPGs do not get a pass from the thread's premise.

It's kind of sad that Western RPGs only selling point is also it's weakest feature.

Because of this character creation stuff, the game's story takes a hit. Writing has to be made general in order for "choice" to be maintained. You do not belong in the world you are playing because you can't belong to it in order for this illusion of choice to be maintained. You are never Mr Unlucky, BoomBoom124321, or MRWKD45. You are referred to by a title and get talked about. You are always Courier, Lone Wanderer or Dragonborn.

It's a weakness of western RPGs and I'm sick of people defending it.

swenson

Sep 5, 2009
Ugh, sports games. There is pretty near nothing that could be done to make me like them because I loathe the vast majority of sports. It's like if someone hated sci-fi--no matter what they do, they would never enjoy a sci-fi RPG because they hate the underlying premise.

I guess if a sports game was more RPGish... like you could level up your players and have them practice specific skills... and maybe direct control over one character, with special abilities and all that? Do any sports games have that? I still wouldn't be all that interested, but I guess it would make it vaguely better.

Or if like ten minutes into a game your cheerleaders suddenly turned out to be wizards in disguise and had a magic duel in the middle of the playing field. That'd be OK.

Or like someone else suggested, if it was like REAL old sports, like the original football. Each side was an entire village and the "ball" was an inflated pig bladder set halfway between the two villages. Then everybody had to try to get it back to their village, and pretty well anything was allowed. Yes, people died. It was ridiculously violent.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
AndrewF022 said:
JRPGs
- Global party EXP (fuck you final fantasy, I'm not grinding levels for each character individually, that's a pointless waste of my time)
i've played more then a few that actually do this

OT:
FPS, i hate em, mostly do to them never being very interesting from the get go.

how would i fix em? easy, make em more like Metriod Prime, also know as the ONLY FPSs i like

swenson

Sep 5, 2009
DanielBrown said:
Already said this in a simular thread, but I dislike racing games(well, sports games in general), so I suggested a stealth racing game.
lol, what would that be like? Do you have to drive around a city to get to a destination without any of the other racers seeing you, and if you manage to catch sight of one before they see you, you can get them kicked out or something?

Or like Assassin's Creed, only you're a car.