Jan 31, 2010
Nice to read a review on something new.

Also, shouldn't it be:

"Vidi, Vici, Veni" :p

Khedive Rex

Jun 1, 2008
Pimppeter2 said:
BlueInkAlchemist said:
. Incidentally, Pimp seems the kind of guy to excel at this in both the real-life and virtual setting. I'd love to test that. Just putting that out there.
I was thinking of starting a Diplomacy Escapist User group, and hopefully starting an epic game from that. I'll tell you if we get enough interested members, I know at least 1 other guy that may want in.
A third as it were. I love Diplomacy.

The review was good and simple. It read quickly and without a whole lot of effort. It didn't feel particularly in depth but looking back this is largely because you kept it very non-opinionated. You seemed content to explain the rules and intentions of Diplomacy, the noticable feature this computer game adds to the box experience and little else. What might have taken someone else (me for example) a paragraph of exposition, you explain suscinctly and professionally.

It feels a little bare but it gets the job done fast. Overall, a good review.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Eerors said:

Also, shouldn't it be:

Thanks for commenting.

I don't think so... [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veni,_vidi,_vici]

Khedive Rex said:
Pimppeter2 said:
BlueInkAlchemist said:
. Incidentally, Pimp seems the kind of guy to excel at this in both the real-life and virtual setting. I'd love to test that. Just putting that out there.
I was thinking of starting a Diplomacy Escapist User group, and hopefully starting an epic game from that. I'll tell you if we get enough interested members, I know at least 1 other guy that may want in.
A third as it were. I love Diplomacy.

The review was good and simple. It read quickly and without a whole lot of effort. It didn't feel particularly in depth but looking back this is largely because you kept it very non-opinionated. You seemed content to explain the rules and intentions of Diplomacy, the noticable feature this computer game adds to the box experience and little else. What might have taken someone else (me for example) a paragraph of exposition, you explain suscinctly and professionally.

It feels a little bare but it gets the job done fast. Overall, a good review.
Thank you! And I'll start up the group soon.

I tried not to get bogged down in details. I mean, Diplomacy can be pretty damn complicated.

Thanks again for commenting.

Nevyrmoore

Aug 13, 2009
joethekoeller said:
Eerors said:

Also, shouldn't it be:

Only if you want to say "I saw, won and came".
What's the chances that he's in court for sexual harassment?

*WARNING! THE PREVIOUS SENTENCE IS IN EXTREMELY BAD TASTE!*

I have to ask about the board game, how hard is it to play for a complete beginner? It looks interesting, and while I'll probably never play it (a lack of local friends is the problem here), I'd like to know, just in case.

Eerors

Jan 31, 2010
Nevyrmoore said:
joethekoeller said:
Eerors said:
Also, shouldn't it be:

I'm glad someone the joke. ^_^

My court date is the 40th July :( My boss's secretary didn't understand I actually wanted to squeeze her melons to check for ripeness.

EDIT: joke!

Maet

The Altoid Duke
Jul 31, 2008
While this sounds like precisely the type of game for me, it truly does sound like the best way to experience it is with human players. Really makes me wish that the folks I used to play Risk with on a weekly basis didn't move away as they'd probably be up for this too.

It's a really good review, Pimppeter2, and the formatting is just fantastic. It really makes me wish that I still had the patience after four/five hours of writing a review to fine tune its presentation. Having said that, I think you'd do well to give it a thorough once over since I still managed to find some little mistakes here and there. Still, it's great work. I was wondering when we'd see the return of "Gentlemen" as I was starting to think that it was just a one-off type thing.

Mariakitten

Mar 29, 2010
Oh man I love that game, but only the board game. its fun to play with four other people and can take hours to finish.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
joethekoeller said:
Incidentally, I'm still perplexed to see how Pimppeter2 can do a review of anything and get a whole load of comments. I guess if anybody ever wondered if I was bitter about him being a lot more successful than me, there goes your answer. Nice work as always.
Probably a mix of being an adwhore and a "popular" forumite more than anything. But thanks

Nevyrmoore said:
I have to ask about the board game, how hard is it to play for a complete beginner? It looks interesting, and while I'll probably never play it (a lack of local friends is the problem here), I'd like to know, just in case.
There's plenty of online strategy guides and things. Its not terribly hard, the rounds can get a bit confusing. And if your friends are cheap it will be even worse. I suggest going to a local (board) gamestore and asking around. Most likely a pro will be there to tell you.

Swollen Goat said:
Excellent review, Pimpy. I think this is the first review you've done of something that I was both interested in and didn't already know all about. You gave me all the info I need to make a decision about whether I'd like the game or not, and did it in a balanced way-pointing out flaws and high points without being blatantly biased. It's what I would expect from say, PC Gamer magazine or something. Very professional. I think I'll probably pick it up once I get a decent PC.

Off topic: Have you ever played any of the Hearts of Iron series, Pimp? I'd love to get your take on that since it's my favorite game (HoI2, that is).
Thank you, and as I said in that user group, Heart of Iron will probably get its own treatment sooner or later

Maet said:
While this sounds like precisely the type of game for me, it truly does sound like the best way to experience it is with human players. Really makes me wish that the folks I used to play Risk with on a weekly basis didn't move away as they'd probably be up for this too.

It's a really good review, Pimppeter2, and the formatting is just fantastic. It really makes me wish that I still had the patience after four/five hours of writing a review to fine tune its presentation. Having said that, I think you'd do well to give it a thorough once over since I still managed to find some little mistakes here and there. Still, it's great work. I was wondering when we'd see the return of "Gentlemen" as I was starting to think that it was just a one-off type thing.
Go to a local shop, if you're not shy around strangers, there's plenty of people who would love to play right then and there. That's how I first started being a bit more "serious" about the game.

And thank you. I am sad that I forgot to hawk over this review like I said I would, but I am an over eager fellow and I forgot. I actually enjoy writing the "Gentlemen" series more than the regular "Pimpin Reviews", usually because its always a game that I can give a glowing recommendation to, especially for more obscure titles like this one.

Thanks for commenting, and thanks for the formatting praise. If anything, I do my best to keep the BBcode up and running smoothly, though it is possibly the biggest pain of all.

Mariakitten said:
Oh man I love that game, but only the board game. its fun to play with four other people and can take hours to finish.
Yeah, I had a game go something like 20 hours. I didn't do so well myself (I got stuck with the ottomans, I rarely perform well with them. But I was supporting Italy and was at least able to out maneuver Russia, only to get squashed by an Astro-French invasion on my flank.

Jayjay34

Sep 4, 2009
Nevyrmoore said:
joethekoeller said:
Eerors said:

Also, shouldn't it be:

Well, to answer, the first time I played it, it wasn't too hard. I went against a few people who knew what they were doing, and one that didn't (if I remember correctly). I had fun, though it was long. It's pretty easy to pick up, and assuming you can find some people to play it with that are willing to donate a whole night, if not more to this, then I say go for it!
As for the review, it was good. A few grammatical/spelling issues, but as for content, it was informative while not boring. Good job!