Developer(s) Nintendo EAD
Director(s) - Eiji Aonuma& Yoshiaki Koizumi
Producer(s) - Shigeru Miyamoto
Platform(s) - Nintendo 64, Nintendo GameCube, iQue Player, Virtual Console
Release date(s)- November 21, 1998
Genre(s) - Action-adventure
Mode(s) - Single-player
Rating(s)- ESRB: E (Everyone)​

Anyways, I created this review series so that I can try and keep Pimpin Reviews on the more current path rather than look back at the oldies. This is also a more serious attempt at reviewing, with no silly captions. As you can see, it will also feature a review score out of 100. Feel free to criticize me, but I feel like it?s the more professional thing to do. So when you comment, please try to include what level of professionalism you felt while reading the review. I'd like to apologize to other reviewers for posting two reviews at once, it wont happen again. Pimpin Reviews will continue its weekly schedule, but Gentlemen will be more spontaneous

The Legend of Zelda series are the type of games that with every new release inevitably sends the gaming world into turmoil. The most astounding thing, however, is that it is one of the only handful of classics that have been able to cross boundaries of generations of gamers. To many, The Legend of Zelda is the only game that left such an impression, and such sweet nostalgic memories on almost every generation of players. Though not the first game in the series, Ocarina of Time predates all other Zelda games chronologically. Before the hero of time even existed and back when Ganondorf was merely a pawn in the court of the king. Arguably, Ocarina of Time is the Zelda game that elevated the series to the status and prestige that it holds today. And it all started like any other Zelda game, following the adventures of a kokiri boy named Link.​

[img_inline caption="Link's fairy companion" width=340 height=220 align=right]http://ui32.gamefaqs.com/1535/gfs_83637_2_4.jpg[/img_inline]

The game takes place in the fictional Kingdom of Hyrule characterized by its diverse races and unique topography. In a mystical part of that land lays a hidden forbidden forest. Where a great tree watches over the child like citizens. The kokiri, as they?re called, each have their own fairy protector. Except for one tormented fairly-less protagonist. Ocarina of Time?s story isn?t exactly award worthy, essentially focusing on the power struggle between good and evil. But when the Deku Tree falls fatally ill, he calls his loyal fairy servant Navi to go to Link for aid. He warns Link of a great evil ready to plague Hyrule.

The forewarning bestowed by the tree directs Link to Princess Zelda of Hyrule Castle. She warns him of a new Machiavellian-type courtier, Ganondorf. A man whom she thinks is eying to capture the Triforce, a mystical relic capable of bestowing godlike powers. To stop him Link will have to bounce in time between gathering allies and solving mysteries to free the sages, who are being held captive in the dungeons of Ganondorf?s minions. Links quest spans through every corner of Hyrule as it falls to destruction by the hands of the new evil dictator.

The power of Ocarina of Time lays in its ability to draw the player in. The gameplay mechanics are spread throughout the game rather than dropped on the player from the start. This way it becomes second nature, and the player isn't stuck to a handful of easily memorized moves. But Ocarina of Time didn?t stop at just being easy to play, but it also redefined the entire genre. The game is responsible for pioneering some of the most prominent features in third person action games. The auto lock feature, which allows the player to interact with a specific point in the world and Context sensitive buttons also changed the way players interacted with the 3D world around them.

[img_inline caption="Auto-Target system still exist today" width=340 height=220 align=left]http://ptcgaming.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/ocarina-of-time.jpg[/img_inline]

Time travel plays a huge role in the game, and for possibly the first time in history, it?s done tastefully. Link can voyage at the drop of a hat between his boyish charms and adult hood. The great thing is actions and exploits in the past are mirrored in the future. For example planting a beanstalk as a boy will result in a fully grown plant in the future. The best thing though, is that little things like planting seeds have gigantic impacts in the future, and that tiny beanstalk will grant access to a new area.

Possibly the most memorable part of the game is its delightful music. The titular ocarina is Link's favorite tool, and using six different notes, the player can perform various tasks; from swapping between day and night to calling his trusty steed Epona. But the experience doesn?t stop there from the field to the marketplace; each location has a distinct and memorable acoustics. There?s even little minigames where you can play against other musicians throughout the game. Either way, you?ll start off as a little kokiri boy on his way to becoming the Hero of Time, but on the way you?ll become much more. The game is filled to the brim with things to do away from the main quest; from horseback racing, to archery, to fishing, or even simply walking around flirting with the exotic geroudo guards. The player is free to go as he pleases, and the pacing is different for each individual.

Despite the inferiority of the cartridge over the competitors CD-ROMs, Nintendo sill created the most beautiful game of its date. Ocarina of Time is the first 3D Zelda game, at a time where the true 3D world was just making its way into gaming. Every corner of Hyrule is simply beautiful. Colors are vibrant, forests are lush, and the waterfalls simply breathtaking. Large scale boss battles and pre rendered background push the old cinematic limits. This is of course, restricted to its time period. The graphics of back in the day can clearly not compare to the high end and cell shaded graphics of today. The game has not aged well, but it is far from unplayable.

[img_inline caption="The Ocarina of Time plays a huge role in Link's quest" width=340 height=220 align=right]http://campinfinity.cs.luc.edu/Members/session1/group6/kristen/1998_pic[/img_inline]

Most of the game fallows around dungeon diving and gathering collectables. Each Dungeon is more memorable than the last, and puzzles and enemies each more clever and deadly than the last. However, some dungeons are extremely convoluted and hard to navigate, and any given mistake can result in endless amounts of backtracking. Fans of the prior installments might feel disappointed in the open world quality especially given the maze like qualities of the old Zelda games. The lack of a jump button takes getting used to, and Links way of grabbing onto ledges when he wants to climb can be incredibly annoying. Another high point in frustration is the manner in which Link pitter-patters slowly though the field is obnoxious, and the voices he and his fairy partner make can get infuriating. Combat is mainly smooth, but can feel monotonous waiting to counter attacks in those high packed action dungeons. But the design of the dungeons, though complex, is simply ingenious, and navigating through to the ending is thrilling and satisfying.

Ocarina of Time has been Nintendo?s every answer to everything videogame design. Ocarina of Time undeniable status as a classic has made all its fallacies part of its own unique experience. From the defining screech of Navi to Links ?hiya?s, the game has permanently placed itself as a landmark of gaming culture. Nintendo has created a game that doesn?t rely on excessive gore or controversial material, but once that can be enjoyed by gamers universally. I cannot justify a perfect score, but it is one heck of an experience.

Thanks to [user]Sir John The Net Knight[/user] for his help on the review.

Dragon Age: Origins VS Rise of the Agronauts [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.177118-Pimpin-Reviews-Dragon-Age-Origins-vs-Rise-of-the-Argonauts]
Dragon Age Origins: DLC [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.180366-Pimpin-Reviews-Dragon-Age-Origins-DLC]
The Hero of Time (Legend of Zelda Fan Movie) [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.183579-Pimpin-Reviews-The-Hero-of-Time-The-Ocarina-of-Time-fan-movie]

The Knuckleduster:
Mass Effect 2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.182033-Pimppeter2-and-Domble-present-The-Knuckleduster-Mass-Effect-2]

Gentlemen:
The Legend of Zelda: OOT

Other:
The Dinner Game [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.179110-The-Dinner-Game-Movie-Review]

Red Alert 2
Okami
Halo 2
(Feel Free to recommend!)

Robert632

May 11, 2009
Nice reveiw, very professional, but one of your links in the "other reveiws" spoiler box is broken.

mjhhiv

Jun 22, 2008
There's a lot of good beginning writing going on here, but based what I've read, you have some real problems with proofreading. Simple mistakes, like not having a period at the end of the review, constant misuse of the apostrophe, and spelling "following" as "fallowing" (there are more, I assure you) detract from the review.

It also seems you've confused "professional" and "dry" -- you can have an entertaining voice while maintaining your professionalism. There's no need to make two separate review styles. You should strive to find a middle-ground, I'd say. This shows your versatility as a writer, but I advise trying to find your own voice, rather than two separate voices based on existing styles... if you know what I mean. This is, of course, my opinion.

Make no mistake: this is a very good review. Well, relative to the norm, nowadays. There's still a ways to go, though. If you really proof this, you will take a big step forward right away.

Baby Eater

Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!
Aug 27, 2009
A great review on an excellent classic.Very professionally done and ordered very nicely.

I still remember when I first played......ahh reminiscing.......

Any way......
[HEADING=1]Toast approved! d(^_^)b[/HEADING]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Finally playing it in December, I just can't see why people call this the BEST GAME EVER.

Sure, it was good for its time, but move on. It's easily the best N64 game, but its far from timeless...

OH! and a review recommendation for the future...Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
mjhhiv said:
F**k, those damn apostrophes always bite me in the ass. I think I abused the comma a bit as well

But seriously, I know that you're 100% right. Proofreading has always been a huge problem for me, even the tips teachers have given me (like reading it backwards) fail. Still, I guess that's just one of the tings I really need to keep working at. I'll admit (not use this as an excuse) I was a bit anxious to put this one out, but I wanted to do it the same day as the other. But with this series since it has no time constrain I will definitely put more proof reading into it. While I'm at it, any tips or tricks that you use? I guess its just part of my reader mentality, but something I can work on none-the-less

As for the second point, I do know what you mean. And thats kind of what I have with the Pimpin Reviews series. I guess I'm just looking for a bit more variety in my reviews, try to write in a way that usually difficult for me. Though, trying to make a more satisfying read will definitely be a priority.

I hope I didn't come off as defensive. At least I don't think I did. I really do value the criticism. A LOT.

Onyx Oblivion said:
Finally playing it in December, I just can't see why people call this the BEST GAME EVER.

Sure, it was good for its time, but move on. It's easily the best N64 game, but its far from timeless...

OH! and a review recommendation for the future...Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts

What can I say, maybe it had to be a been there thing

I don't like to call it the best game ever either. I live in Chicago, and no one stops talking about Michal Jordan being the greatest ever. Its like "Okay, so there's no reason to watch ever again because it can never be as good?"

And everyone knows Jak II is the BEST GAME EVER. :)

Anyways, I have Nuts and Bolts on the Pimpin Review schedule. This is more for those "Classic" video games.

magicman4443

Mar 25, 2010
That's a really good review. It's well written(barring grammar/spelling errors) and gives a fair assessment of the game in my mind.

I wonder though, is it really fair to judge a game negatively because its graphics are dated? One of your Pros is Gaming Benchmark, which implies you're taking this from at least some kind of historical context, looking at it from that day and age, in which it was a huge revolution with its Z-targeting system and such, but you say a con is that it's graphics are dated. Sure they're not what people are used to today, but is it fair to judge a game negatively for not having graphics that can compare to today, pretty much like every single other N64 game? But that's just my 2 cents

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
It's a good review for a classic, but just some spots you may want to fix up:

The forewarning bestowed by the tree directs Link to the Princess Zelda of Hyrule Castle, who warns. She warns him of a new Machiavellian-type courtier, named Ganondorf, . Who a man whom she thinks is eying to capture the Triforce, a mystical relic capable of bestowing godlike powers.
It's not the best fix, granted, but there are better ways to phrase that passage. But yeah, as others have said, be wary of your use of apostrophes (and punctualtion in general). If it helps, you can always try printing out your reviews and attacking it with a red pen, or putting it down for a few hours and reading it again with a clear mind. I also think you used pictorials a little too often here, and it gives your short review a somewhat-hypnotic undulating motion.

And now to my opinions on the game and gamer's responses to it in general: NAVI IS NOT THAT ANNOYING. It's only when gamers do this [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmjppNkqszk] and blow it incredibly out of proportion that the stigma is attached (and I'd also like to point out that she really only talks once you go off the main path and that you can choose not to talk to her, like, ever).

As far as graphics go, I still think it looks good. Yeah, sure, I can count the polygons everywhere, but at least they're used well. It's a sort of aesthetical charm, actually.

Darth Rahu

Critic of the Sith
Nov 20, 2009
The sad thing is while you said the game doesn't touch upon anything controversial, if you peel back the E for Everyone label, the game ties into some pretty adult things. The concept of innocence (the kokiri people), the transition and trandscension of genders (see Sheik), and the degree of symbolism in each dungeon is insane. The forest temple involved spirits and nature. Fire represents anger and its self destructive nature along with the dangerous consuming nature of fire itself. The water temple was about reflection and the ripple effect of ones actions as well as facing the abyss, especially when it came to Shadow Link. The shadow temple was surprisingly gothic for a kids game, focusing on terms of death, suffering, and the fear of the uncertainty of an afterlife (remember that boat ride you took? Look closer and you might see it pulling through the river Styx into Hell), as well as the weapons of the darkness, deception, concealment, etc. The spirit temple was more or less an amalgamation of all of the above, testing the self as a whole, body mind and soul, as well as the passionate nature of the soul, going for something with full intent of will (Nabooru wasn't talking about a "reward" for no reason) as well as investing into the power of self reflection (all of those light reflection puzzles weren't for squat).

As for the Light Medallion it more or less poses the idea of the coming of age and enlightenment, or the loss of innocence. By having the medallion, Link has accepted his destiny and has left his childhood behind. The Spiritual Stones was more or less symbolic of broadening ones horizons. Once Link leaves the forest, he is exposed to so much, villages, a whole world, even new kinds of creatures. By obtaining all three stones, he proves he has been accepted into those cultures as well as becoming part of them, meaning he has something to lose when Ganondorf finally takes the world over.

Of course this is my take on it and now I feel like I just jacked your review. Sorry Pimppeter.

On topic, you did pretty well spelling out certain things.

mjhhiv

Jun 22, 2008
Pimppeter2 said:
mjhhiv said:
But seriously, I know that you're 100% right. Proofreading has always been a huge problem for me, even the tips teachers have given me (like reading it backwards) fail. Still, I guess that's just one of the tings I really need to keep working at. I'll admit (not use this as an excuse) I was a bit anxious to put this one out, but I wanted to do it the same day as the other. But with this series since it has no time constrain I will definitely put more proof reading into it. While I'm at it, any tips or tricks that you use? I guess its just part of my reader mentality, but something I can work on none-the-less

As for the second point, I do know what you mean. And thats kind of what I have with the Pimpin Reviews series. I guess I'm just looking for a bit more variety in my reviews, try to write in a way that usually difficult for me. Though, trying to make a more satisfying read will definitely be a priority.
There's no secret to proofreading, I don't think. If there is one, my English teachers are pretty incompetent for not letting me in on it. I guess one thing I might try is the "read it with fresh eyes" deal. I like to fiddle with a review until I think it's finished, put it aside for a few days, and then proof it again. I cut 500 word chunks that way, sometimes. Having someone else read through it is a great idea, too. And I'm sure you could dig some stuff off of the 'net to help brush up on the finer points, if apostrophes are getting you down.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Darth Rahu said:
Pimp is cool.
I agree with a lot of that, and I originally had a line between "...power struggle between good and evil." and "But when the.... ". But I chopped it out becuase I couldn't phrase it correctly. Still, I was looking at a more general view of the story, especially avoiding spoiler. Thanks for the feedback though, much appreciated

magicman4443 said:
I wonder though, is it really fair to judge a game negatively because its graphics are dated? One of your Pros is Gaming Benchmark, which implies you're taking this from at least some kind of historical context, looking at it from that day and age, in which it was a huge revolution with its Z-targeting system and such, but you say a con is that it's graphics are dated. Sure they're not what people are used to today, but is it fair to judge a game negatively for not having graphics that can compare to today, pretty much like every single other N64 game? But that's just my 2 cents
The dated Graphics had no effect on the score, though in hindsight it seems like it does in the review. I think I may get rid of the whole PRO/CON thing in the next one and just keep a score. Personally, the graphics never bothered me (seeing as I had played it back when it was new), but I felt the need to mention them in the review itself.

Thanks for the feedback!

AwesomeExpress

Packages Delivered: 84 / 1900
Feb 4, 2010
Holy review Batman! Nice job! I also enjoy this game very much, and look forward to playing it again next year.

seventy7l

Oct 9, 2009
Good review pictures fit in quite nicely i didn't have a hard time reading it.
I don't what else to say except look forward to more reviews.

XxSummonerxX

May 17, 2009
I love the Zelda series but... yes, like everything there is a "but".

Zelda Ocarina of Time is old. Review one of the newer ones, the DS games or Twilight Princess.

magicman4443

Mar 25, 2010
Pimppeter2 said:
magicman4443 said:
The dated Graphics had no effect on the score, though in hindsight it seems like it does in the review. I think I may get rid of the whole PRO/CON thing in the next one and just keep a score. Personally, the graphics never bothered me (seeing as I had played it back when it was new), but I felt the need to mention them in the review itself.

Thanks for the feedback!
Ah I understand now. I agree, I'm not so sure I like the pro/con thing. Maybe it would be better to just stick with the number grade and let people come up with their own pros and cons.

Dedae

Jan 24, 2010
Hehe. When I first saw this review I thought, 'What the hell? Do we need a review of Ocarina of Time!? Here's your review...
It's Ocraina of Time! '
But it was a really great read, and even insightful for someone whose played through it like 9 times. But I think you also should get rid of the score. It really doesn't make sense to score an old game. Keep the pros and cons, just loose the number.

MasterMongoose0

Nov 3, 2009
I played Ocarina of Time for the first time a few months ago (I had watched my brother play it somewhat when the N64 was his territory).

I had more fun with the game than almost every other game I've played recently (except maybe Batman: AA and inFamous). The world just felt so inviting and the sense of progression rocked.
Amazing music helped a lot as well.

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
I found this review very hard to read, I'm not sure why because it contained some really good stuff, it's also a tad worrying as this style of reviewing is quite similar to mine.

Oh found it, linking words; some of you're sentences are fairly short and the use of simple words such as 'as/and/because' help make the review flow (ergh I hate using that expression) and make it a lot easier to read - Just a thought.

Spontaneousness is always a good thing, I do not know how you can limit yourself with a schedule as in my case I would have a huge backlog since I appear to be stamping them out at the moment. Was the idea behind reviewing Zelda: OOT anything to do with the topic for Review Wars 3?

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Dedae said:
Hehe. When I first saw this review I thought, 'What the hell? Do we need a review of Ocarina of Time!? Here's your review...
It's Ocraina of Time! '
But it was a really great read, and even insightful for someone whose played through it like 9 times. But I think you also should get rid of the score. It really doesn't make sense to score an old game. Keep the pros and cons, just loose the number.
Heh, the idea behind this review is for me to start a review type that is a bit more out of the blue. I would never justify having scores in my other series, but I'm just trying something new with this one. Shake things up a bit

XxSummonerxX said:
I love the Zelda series but... yes, like everything there is a "but".

Zelda Ocarina of Time is old. Review one of the newer ones, the DS games or Twilight Princess.
In the intro I stated how I will only be reviewing classi/old games (hence the name) in this series. You're free to keep up with my other series "Pimpin Reviews" that stays a bit more on the current path.

I mean, every reviewer and his dog has reviewed this game. So I might as well right?

Stranger of Sorts said:
I found this review very hard to read, I'm not sure why because it contained some really good stuff, it's also a tad worrying as this style of reviewing is quite similar to mine.
Apart from the format, I really don't see the connection. As for the format, I should point out that this is the format for many reviews here.

Oh found it, linking words; some of you're sentences are fairly short and the use of simple words such as 'as/and/because' help make the review flow (ergh I hate using that expression) and make it a lot easier to read - Just a thought.
Now that you point that out, I do see it a bit.

Spontaneousness is always a good thing, I do not know how you can limit yourself with a schedule as in my case I would have a huge backlog since I appear to be stamping them out at the moment.

Well seeing as the goal is to be able to play the game and write the review within a week (like the "pros") that's kind of why I have a schedual.

I should point out, that I also have a massive backlog, but I publish them on other sites that don't appreciate posting them on forums, seeing as the goal is to have the review on that site solely

Was the idea behind reviewing Zelda: OOT anything to do with the topic for Review Wars 3?

Not at all. I mean, I would hardly consider Zelda a cult classic or an obscure game. I mean, its possibly the most famous game ever created (excluding Mario).

Though, I do have an installment for this series that I'm going to put into Review Wars, though not as a competitor, just for feedback.