Genuinely Terrified

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
George Sluizer's thriller Spoorloos is an absolutely terrifying film.
Uncomplicated premise; a young couple in love, Rex and Saskia, are on their way to France for the summer. While on a border gas station, Saskia ventures into the convenience store for a drink but never comes back.
The rest of the film delves into the increasingly deteriorating mental state of Rex, as he tirelessly searches for his lost partner for the next three years.

Finally, he's confronted by a man who claims to be the perpetrator behind Saskia's disappearance. Knowing that there is no physical evidence to tie him to the crime, regardless of what Rex may tell the authorities about this confession, he explains that he realised at a very young age that he was capable of extreme behaviour. He hid this knowledge from his family and peers, and grew up to be a respected teacher of chemistry with a wife and two loving daughters. One day he rescued a young girl from drowning at the risk of his own well-being; a genuine act of goodness. Faced with the knowledge that he would go to such absolutes, he decided to attempt an act of genuine evil.
Practicing discreet methods for a few weeks, he ultimately succeeded in drugging and abduct a random girl; Saskia.
He explains to Rex that he's been aware of his efforts to find out what really happened to his lost love, and is prepared to show him on the condition that he drinks a cup of coffee shot with tranquilizers.
- Once he wakes up, he will know what became of Saskia.
After a brief internal struggle, Rex agrees and empties the cup. A few hours later, he regains consciousness in complete darkness.
Shaking some life into his lighter, he discovers that he's been buried alive.

What really elevates the film beyond mere shock value is depiction of Rex' obsessive mindset.
Heartbreaking, and heartshaking.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
starfox444 said:
Hazy said:
Suffice to say, one story had an illustration so grotesque that it had forever burned into my mind. Google it if you want, I'll just say this: It's called The Thing.
I regret doing that.
There was no actual warning per-se, so you reserve the right to hold that against me until the end of time.