Geohot Hints at Plans After Sony Settlement

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
JDKJ said:
"Blah, blah, blah, bullshit, bullshit, bullshit, blah, blah, blah, bullshit, bullshit, bullshit, blah, blah, blah, bullshit, bullshit, bullshit, blah, blah, blah, bullshit, bullshit, bullshit, blah, blah, blah." -- George "Bullshit is My Middle Name" Hotz
WOW you are mad. Did you seriously donate money to this guy NOT expecting a dick move of some kind?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
gphjr14 said:
So pretty much if you do something you know will be used illegally but that wasn't your your intention, that makes it OK. Too bad the law doesn't feel that way. Just ask Limewire.
Dammit, you're right. We should totally outlaw VCRs, DVRs, CD and DVD burners, and the internet. They can all be used for illegal purposes, so we should hold their creators, developers, producers and distributors liable.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Eldarion said:
JDKJ said:
"Blah, blah, blah, bullshit, bullshit, bullshit, blah, blah, blah, bullshit, bullshit, bullshit, blah, blah, blah, bullshit, bullshit, bullshit, blah, blah, blah, bullshit, bullshit, bullshit, blah, blah, blah." -- George "Bullshit is My Middle Name" Hotz
WOW you are mad. Did you seriously donate money to this guy NOT expecting a dick move of some kind?
I may be "mad" but I ain't stupid. There's a greater chance that you'll pick the numbers in tonight's Mega Millions drawing than that I would have given my hard-earned money to George Hotz.

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
Who would ever trust this guy, let alone sent him money to fight a legal battle? Everything about him since the beginning screamed shady. Face the truth guys, he doesn't fight for the end users, he is just looking out for himself and using the guise of savior to fool anyone silly enough to believe him.

And then there was his rap taunting Sony. Big balls this kid has to end up settling right?

Apr 28, 2008
I really, really hope that this case caused(or will cause) EULA's to get eveluated and changed to be more consumer friendly. And by that I mean give consumers basic rights and protections that they get with every other fucking industry/sale.

Oh who am I kidding, now that this is settled, that won't happen.

God fucking dammit. I really wanted EULA's to get a serious notice from this case, and get changed because of how bullshit they are. But they won't, because its case closed, and everyone will forget and move on.

So yeah, thanks for that, GeoHotz.

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
This guy is awesome! Why do you guys dislike him so much?

Sony has got some big fucking issues when it comes to DRM and the likes, so it is only good when someone calls them out on their crap; especially if they also hack their products. :D

ProjectTrinity

Apr 29, 2010
"As of 4/11/11, I am joining the Sony boycott. I will never purchase another Sony product," Hotz wrote yesterday. "I encourage you to do the same. And if you bought something Sony recently, return it."

I'm going to buy even more now. Excellent advertising, Geo. Using my dislike for you to boost sales from this household. ^_^

zombie711 said:
i never liked this guy. he's smart enough to jail break the ps3 but not smart enough to relise pirates will use it to pirate games?
People, both him, and those who support him will say whatever is needed to feel like they're in the right. It's a sad state of affairs, really. I've never been one to do it. Contradict my logic, and I'll own up to it without making magical logic-patches up.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
I'm skeptical GeoHot's boycott will last all that long, he hasn't demonstrated great perseverance.

I actually don't blame him for settling and I'm sure the Sony brand will leave a bad taste in his mouth for years to come - but his crusade didn't last so why should I expect subsequent assertions to hold up?

thenewprince

Oct 30, 2008
Yeah buddy, I work in PR and I'm well aware that you and the less that .005% of the people who buy sony products that intend on following you probably will give in after 5 years. Since I love my PS3, Plus what SCEO produces. Go ahead and shoot yourself in the ass I'm going....to just be over here watching...

blind_dead_mcjones

Oct 16, 2010
wow, the ego of this guy is bigger than mars, and he STILL has the gall to portray himself as the "gallant defender of consumers freedom". yeah sure, cool story bro.

"As of 4/11/11, I am joining the Sony boycott. I will never purchase another Sony product," Hotz wrote yesterday.

good, means more for people who will actually appreciate the items they buy

Xvito said:
This guy is awesome! Why do you guys dislike him so much?

Sony has got some big fucking issues when it comes to DRM and the likes, so it is only good when someone calls them out on their crap; especially if they also hack their products. :D
well i can't speak for everyone else, but for me personally, probably because he's full of himself, oh plus the fact that he broke the law and then tried to avoid accepting personal responsibility afterwards.

whatever issues one may have with the way a corporation does things there is a way of making your opinion felt in a noticeable way without breaking the law. its called becoming a shareholder in that company, because those are the people that corporations ultimately answer to.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Tenmar said:
Okay for those that don't really have the experience of being part of the legal system. Settling out of court is actually the most common solution between parties. What you see with Law and Order is actually the last resort. So I understand GeoHotz situation and honestly expected that outcome especially with his defense.

Also realize for those who wanted him to "finish the fight" there was a real risk for his actual freedom as a person and financially. I really doubt people would of wanted all that money to go into a decade long process of appeals because with all due respect to the gaming community I don't think we as a community are wealthy enough to actually make all his fees pro-bono. If he lost the case he'd be the one hanging in the gallows and you'd be without your rights as written in US law which could easily be made law of the land. You don't want to risk all that on something so ridiculous(although ironically something so stupid as the citizen united case made corporations people over a conservative film smearing Hillary Clinton during the 2008 election).

There are much better and safer legal ways to create more consumer friendly EULA laws and it requires legislating your local, state and federal governments and getting involved with organizations that fight the good fight without the risk of setting legal precedence and that is the Entertainment Consumers Association.
The Entertainment Consumers Association?! Are you kidding?! Those guy have a worse record for screwing over their members than Sony has for screwing over their customers. Don't believe me? Then just google "ECA" AND "Amazon" AND "discounts" AND "renew" and take a look at your search results (e.g., http://consumerist.com/2009/12/eca-tries-to-prevent-members-from-canceling.html ).

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Ah the telltale thing fans do when their team sucks. Blame the refs.

A perfect analogy to somebody with a weak stance in a court case. Blame the judges.

There are ways to protest the things Sony have done in the name of fighting piracy but Geo had lost from the get-go on this one. He probably at least used a bit of that donation money on his lawyers for a little while so they could advise him, "Dude, you won't win this. You're wrong. Settle out of court while you can."

William Thompson

Mar 26, 2010
Hey if he is done with his Sony merchandise, I'll buy them. I never had a big problem with my Sony brand things (expect I hate there car audio), but them again I follow the rules

AlexNora

Mar 7, 2011
people sure are quick to judge to be honest i cant tell if the outcome is good or bad yet

i will wait and see what happens in the future

all this brand loyalty is pretty scary though whats so great about sony?

there tvs are exactly the same as everyone else's

and there game system is just pretty pictures sprinkled with a few good games just like the xbox

it could be argued that sonys online serves is better but you'd be wrong

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
zombie711 said:
i never liked this guy. he's smart enough to jail break the ps3 but not smart enough to relise pirates will use it to pirate games?
so what if other people use it to pirate games?

It is his legally bought hardware, and he ought to do what he damn well please with it.
Which in his case is installing Linux on it.

Which was an advertised feature that Sony later removed.

Thank the gods I live in a country where my personal property is mine to do with as I see fit.