George Lucas Says Greedo Always Shot First

Richard Allen

Mar 16, 2010
Kwil said:
Even though Lucas is right, he's wrong.

I fully believe that what he says is correct, that he originally filmed it with Greedo shooting first as we see in the special edition.

I also believe that one of the editors, likely Marcia Lucas looking at the other films she's edited, was smart enough to chop that bit out and so give us a Han Solo who isn't simply a caricature and has a bit of depth/edge to him.

So he's right. It was always his original intention, but it's wrong in that it's the movie we got, or that it was a worse one for not being clear about his intention.
No he's not, the book makes it very clear what happened there.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Lucas said:
The controversy over who shot first, Greedo or Han Solo, in Episode IV, what I did was try to clean up the confusion, but obviously it upset people because they wanted Solo [who seemed to be the one who shot first in the original] to be a cold-blooded killer, but he actually isn't.
I can't agree with this statement, as far as I know (it's a while since I saw the movies) Greedo was pretty clearly going to try to kill Han, acting pre-emptively in self-defence may be morally dubious but I wouldn't go as far as to say that someone who did was a "cold-blooded killer". If I knew someone was out to kill me I wouldn't wait until they had shot to defend myself.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Are people still going on about this?

Christ, it's worse than the Firefly die-hards.

Move on.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Bullshit, George. Bullshit. What makes it even worse, is you KNOW Han shot first, you are just playing us, because you can. You have gone darkside, sir. Thats the only answer I can come up with, to explain your insane actions. :(

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
So either,

a) Han shot first because he's not a super nice guy

OR

b) Greedo is a terrible shot and Han can move faster than a laser blast from a near point blank.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
Greedo's just too difficult for us. We're not treating him fairly because of that.

Amy shot first.

Or something like that.

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
Poor George. He has the same issue I have when I try to draw stuff. I say "that's good" for a little while, and then come back and figure I can sweeten this and that until I've irreprably mucked the whole thing up.

He seriously needs to let go of all his tweaks. Even if he meant to have Greedo shoot first, the scene didn't have it and no one cared if Han killed him. I don't know why he's so pained by the idea that Han wouldn't bat an eye at taking down a threat.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Doesn't matter who shot first. At the end of the day Han is just as good a character as the rest of the humans in the Star Wars movies. Terrible and completely unlikable.

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
Fucking hell George just take it like an adult. Everybody makes mistakes, even Jar Jar Binks level mistakes, but I've never seen anyone like George Lucas for ignoring the lessons from them. He got three chances to do a good prequel and blew all of them in exactly the same way despite having an ocean of criticism to learn from - not just from butthurt fans, who are easy to dismiss and justifiably so, but from the likes of Roger goddamned Ebert, real film critics who know how your movies could have been fixed.

SneakyBawls

Dec 17, 2008
Lucas you pile of shit dumped in a flannel.....If you told me 15 years ago that I'd be thinking this of the man who's movies I grew up worshiping, I'd say you were an idiot. Bioware is now my only source for Star Wars...

Lucas: "Don't say anything, just do it. And pull off that little ol' biddy. The shirt there, too."
Spielberg: "There, boy! I bet you can squeal! I bet you can squeal like a pig! [twists Indy's left ear lobe] Come on, squeal. Squeal now. Squ-squeal! WEEEE! Squeal."
Indy: "We-eee!"
Spielberg: "Squeal louder. WEEEE!"
Indy: "Weee!"
Spielberg: "Louder louder! WEEEE!"
Indy: "Weee!"

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Well, at least we can still have our other truth, and nobody can take it away from us.

Cheney shot first.

westx207

Oct 17, 2008
Where does that closing quote from Harrison Ford come from? I'm curious about it's context.

maddog015

Sep 12, 2008
westx207 said:
Where does that closing quote from Harrison Ford come from? I'm curious about it's context.
Harrison's actual quote was: "George, you can type this shit, but you sure as hell can't say it." He said it during the making of A New Hope.

And it's true. George had great ideas. He just can't implement them without help. Hence, why the old trilogy where he was challenged by a lot of good artists are better than the new trilogy where he was surrounded by yes-men.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Nigh Invulnerable said:
I'm really tired of the debate about this. Just enjoy whichever version of the film you prefer, people! Let George go off and do whatever he wants with his franchise.
I would, but now he's telling me I'm remembering things wrong. He's gone from editing the DVDs to wanting to edit the neurons in my head. I'm sorry, but this "Ministry of Truth, Skywalker Ranch division" garbage has to stop.