George Lucas Says Greedo Always Shot First

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
George Lucas Says Greedo Always Shot First

George Lucas says he didn't change a thing - Greedo, not Han Solo, always shot first, you just didn't notice.

It's no secret that Star Wars creator George Lucas has a powerful penchant for messing with his movies. One of the most obvious and egregious examples of his inability to leave things alone [and thereby make them worse] is the transformation of Han Solo, through one single, small action, from bad-ass space pirate to innocent practitioner of self-defense. And since that day, among a certain subset of sci-fi nerds who refuse to drink the Kool-Aid, the call has gone out: "Solo shot first!"

Except that according to Lucas, Solo didn't shoot first. Ever. Not even in the original 1977 release of the film. In fact, George claims that he didn't change anything at all, you just didn't see it right.

"The controversy over who shot first, Greedo or Han Solo, in Episode IV, what I did was try to clean up the confusion, but obviously it upset people because they wanted Solo [who seemed to be the one who shot first in the original] to be a cold-blooded killer, but he actually isn't," he told the Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/george-lucas-star-wars-interview-288523].

"It had been done in all close-ups and it was confusing about who did what to whom," he said. "I put a little wider shot in there that made it clear that Greedo is the one who shot first, but everyone wanted to think that Han shot first, because they wanted to think that he actually just gunned him down."

George. George. I just rewatched that little bit of the cantina scene on YouTube and I can say with a good degree of confidence that the problem here is not one of perception. There is no confusion. Han Solo clearly, casually and without warning wasted some low-level scumbag enforcer who was giving him a hard time. You can't erase the Holiday Special from our memories, George, and you can't change the fact that Han Solo is a stone cold killer.

To paraphrase the man who played the man who pulled the trigger in Mos Eisley: "George, you can say this shit, but you sure as hell can't believe it."

Sp3ratus

Apr 11, 2009
Just like I posted in the last news post about Star Wars, I think this is just as appropriate as it was back then:
George should just leave Star Wars alone, so those of us with love for the universe can still love the mangled pieces that are left unmolested.

As for the news itself, I have absolutely no idea what George is trying to accomplish with this. Is he trying to save face? Because that train has surely left several years ago and there's no chance in hell he'll ever catch it. Changing stuff is bad enough, but straight-out lying into our faces is just downright insulting. It's not like the changing part isn't insulting in the first place, but this is just taking it to another level. He's not going to win back any fans by this, quite the opposite, I think. Oh well, at least I still have my original copies, he'll never be able to take those away!

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
NOPE! Han shot first. End of story. Saying otherwise now won't get that idea to change, it's been meme'd to the end and back so too late.

88chaz88

Jul 23, 2010
Huh? I thoroughly remember Greedo shooting first. Let me find a clip...

Ah, here it is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0Asjh-HjRE

DiMono

Mar 18, 2010
This just in, George Lucas has NO RESPECT for the intelligence of his fans.

Guess what George: we just lost all respect for you, too. Go away now.

Apr 28, 2008

Yeah... I don't think so Lucas.

Though it actually kind of looks like Solo just exploded on Greedo. Heh.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008

He not only shot first there, he pulled and fired one what by all appearances was a totally unarmed man. Only saved through his powers with The Force that he didn't believe in very much.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
88chaz88 said:

Ah, here it is!

In the remastered versions Greedo shoots first... but in the original, Han shot first. Killing Greedo who hasnt done anything to anybody. Poor Greedo. Then George realised "Oh, the hero just murdered a guy for no reason. Should probably do something about that.", tampering with his own creation and such... however, his later tampering had less good intention behind it and thus lost all control of the Star Wars universe which now falls in the hands of the Star Wars fans who are creating some smashing games.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
I'm really tired of the debate about this. Just enjoy whichever version of the film you prefer, people! Let George go off and do whatever he wants with his franchise.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
Phew... for a while I thought George Lucas lost his touch after the first movies. Seems he never had it in the first place.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Kinguendo said:
88chaz88 said:

Ah, here it is!

In the remastered versions Greedo shoots first... but in the original, Han shot first. Killing Greedo who hasnt done anything to anybody. Poor Greedo. Then George realised "Oh, the hero just murdered a guy for no reason. Should probably do something about that.", tampering with his own creation and such... however, his later tampering had less good intention behind it and thus lost all control of the Star Wars universe which now falls in the hands of the Star Wars fans who are creating some smashing games.
It was a joke clip. You should probably have watched it before replying.

Ryvaken

Jun 14, 2009
It's funny, I have the novelization of the movies. In that scene, no camera angles or special effects to worry about, somehow Greedo's shot was completely missed by the words, while the Cantina had a good laugh at the idiot that let his mark get his hands under the table.

Oh yes, the works of other authors holds no weight with Lucas, but I think even he would have to make an exception here. He wrote that book himself. So either he had a ghost writer (presumably fired before...um...well before I was born I guess) or he has some kind of long term memory issues.

Quite possibly both.

I'd bet on both.

Ryvaken

Jun 14, 2009
It's funny, I have the novelization of the movies. In that scene, no camera angles or special effects to worry about, somehow Greedo's shot was completely missed by the words, while the Cantina had a good laugh at the idiot that let his mark get his hands under the table.

Oh yes, the works of other authors holds no weight with Lucas, but I think even he would have to make an exception here. He wrote that book himself. So either he had a ghost writer (presumably fired before...um...well before I was born I guess) or he has some kind of long term memory issues.

Quite possibly both.

I'd bet on both.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Frostbite3789 said:
Kinguendo said:
88chaz88 said:

Ah, here it is!

It was a joke clip. You should probably have watched it before replying.
... Why? I took him at his word.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
Except that according to Lucas, Solo didn't shoot first. Ever. Not even in the original 1977 release of the film.
Yup, because that's how physics works George.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Maybe instead of lying or being insane this is all a cheap marketing ploy to get his movies in the news again so people will be more aware of his movies being re-released in cinema.