George Lucas Says Greedo Always Shot First

Malignanttoe

Aug 25, 2011
A seasoned bounty hunter wouldn't have missed a SITTING man at that range any way... WTF Mr. Lucas. WTF.

also-
http://www.geekologie.com/2008/05/29/han-shot-first.jpg

edit- and if a JEDI MASTER has no qualms with cutting of a man's arm for getting a little rowdy in a bar, then I'll be damned if a criminal wouldn't shoot a bounty hunter who already has a gun on him.

ok... I'm done now.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
Next thing you know, they're going to add a completely-CGI scene where Han writhes on the ground and weeps for three minutes over the loss of his good friend Greedo. And then maybe they'll edit out all the parts where Stormtroopers get killed, and turn the lightsabers into really big flowers.

Kakashi on crack

Aug 5, 2009
Mmhmm... dear Lucas, FUCK YOU!

Stop trying to make starwars child friendly.

From the fanbase

... didn't he promise to leave starwars alone???

ShaqLevick

Jul 14, 2009
The truth of the matter is that Greedo did shoot first, no matter what anyone says. Now he may not have shot off his blaster first, but his intentions were clear. It's not exactly like he left Han any sort of choice... really what's a smuggler to do?

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
Raiyan 1.0 said:
poiuppx said:
Ugh. Lucas, I was actually kinda starting to respect you again cause of Red Tails. And then you pull this.
Why? He didn't direct it.
Red Tails had been a passion project of Lucas's for ages, trying to get the Tuskegee Airmen the movie they never had in the golden age of WWII patriotic hero films. He started developing it in '88, but ran into road block after road block trying to get major film studios to go along with it. He finally resorted to just fronting the money to do it himself. So no, he didn't direct it... he just did everything else, for decades, to see the damn film got made. So, fan-rage over Star Wars or not, I respect the hell out of his dedication to seeing heroes get the recognition they deserved a long time ago.

...Han still shot first, though.

Jul 9, 2008
Mcoffey said:
Well yeah, Greedo fired first. I thought everyone knew that. It's a silly thing to have to clarify.
Except he didn't in the movie's original cut.
00slash00 said:
i like the idea of greedo shooting first. you dont need to be a heartless murderer to be badass and honestly, i think han is more badass if he was just calmly sitting there, then dodged a laser and immediately killed greedo. it makes him seem like a good person, but someone who wont hesitate to defend hmself brutally, if you fuck with him
I could see where that would be the case, but watch the Special Edition version again. Greedo shoots and Han survives, not because he dodged (in fact, he just sat completely still), but because Greedo just missed a stationary target not even a foot away.

Also, how is Han shooting first being a heartless murderer? Greedo was clearly going to shoot him, it's self defense either way. Han shooting first is just him taking initiative rather than gambling with his life to look like the good guy.

DarkSoldier84

Jul 8, 2010
I would accept Greedo shooting first if he were obviously intoxicated. Establish that this low-rank mob collector has had a couple of Tattooine Sunrises too many to steel himself for confronting one of Jabba's top runners. With that established, it would be plausible for Greedo to unintentionally pull the trigger. Booze and guns don't mix, no matter what galaxy you're in.

Finally, Han doesn't actually react to a debt collector shooting at him. Yes, he missed, but still, that punk just tried to shoot me! Nobody pulls a gun on Han frakkin' Solo and walks away! If he had actually flinched away from the shot instead of doing the CG Slide, it would be more acceptable to the audience.

Merlark

Dec 18, 2003
it doesn't particularly matter but it is rather insulting that GL actually wants us to believe that. I remember the original, there was only one shot fired. even if there was intended to be two the touched up version is done really bad. Greedo's shot isn't even close and Han doesn't even flinch he is right across the table for crying out loud, you Can't miss. Han knew he was going to be shot thats why he secretly got his blaster ready. he never tried to doge because he knew Greedo would be dead with no intention of letting him fire first.

it was a bad edit, just like the one of han walking over Jaba's tail, it looks really bad and cheesy but it 'works'. not sure why its even important for George, Greedo got the drop on Han and he turned the tables on him. point blank under the table.

of course, maybe much like marvin the robot from hitch hikers guide to the galaxy han knew that greedo was the worse short in the universe and there was no way he could be hit. Its a fantasy, so whatever works best for you I guess.

But that still doesn't change the fact that the edit was badly done.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
George Lucas is really just the pinnacle example of "not getting it". He either has no fraking clue what he actually made in the 70s and 80s, or as soon as the marketing machine started up, was so overwhelmed by money that he just completely lost sight of the larger picture. It's really easy to poke fun at Jorge for what he does, and I can kind of see his side of it, when he first made Star Wars, I doubt he knew he was making a kid's movie. I mean, I know for SURE that Alec Guinness had no idea he was signing up for a kid's movie, that's why he almost completely washed his hands of before A New Hope even finished.

When George made Star Wars, he was making a movie geek's movie. It's so jam packed with references and allusions, both clear and subtle, that it makes a movie student's head spin. That scene with Han and Greedo was a throwback to old western movies, where, duh, the good guy shoots people. Sometimes without getting shot at first, because he knows if he doesn't, he's GOING to die. It's called a pre-emptive strike, and it's not immoral. In that scene in particular, Greedo arrives, and starts taunting Han, about how he's going to take him to Jabba, and get rich, and there's nothing Solo can do because he's got a gun pointed at him.

To which Han responds by shooting first. Why does that make him a "blood thirsty killer?" I'm tired of that argument, it totally doesn't. Han was acting in self-defense, whether greedo shot first or not. You can't re-write the characters George. That's really the one thing we can't in good conscience allow you to do. You can't turn Han Solo into a clean upstanding gentleman just cause it turns out kids REEEEEALLY liked your movie about space samurai.

Han shooting first doesn't make him a killer. Need I remind ANYONE (although really, everyone seems to get this but George, so it mostly goes to him, although he's totally not going to read it, so almost why bother) that Greedo was a bounty hunter? Just cause he looks like a cute little fly person, and kids might get upset by seeing him get killed in such a way that seems harsh, doesn't mean that he's nice, or that deserves

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
It's really not that big of a deal. And it really doesn't change the character all that much.

He comes across as an arse hole for the rest of the original film, not violent, ruthless, or 'badass'.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
George, no matter how much you warp and rewrite your movies, you can't rewrite reality.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
This proves it, Lucas got kidnapped by aliens long ago and has been replaced.
Ugh, this is just getting ridiculous and sad. Does he think he's in Oceania in 1984 and that he can alter the past and make people believe that?
Han shot first, whatever you say won't change what happened in the movie. I don't care that he's the creator, I liked him for making those movies but he's changed. If he wants to make Han's character and his change during the movies less interesting, fine, no one cares anymore what he says anyway. Fans know what happens in that scene. Just don't try to impose your "better" version on me.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Zhukov said:
Are people still going on about this?
It's not "people", it's Lucas. He said this TODAY.

Uth laynuma. Chespo kutata kreesta krenko, nyakoska!
Whelp, you've seen it all here folks. Clear as day. Nothing more to debate about now, move on

Jun 11, 2008
And people defended this guy when he retired from "making" movies.
Zhukov said:
Are people still going on about this?

Christ, it's worse than the Firefly die-hards.

Move on.
People have moved on and so have most Firefly fans. So yeah we have.