George Miller Claims *Two* Mad Max Sequels are in the Works

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
George Miller Claims *Two* Mad Max Sequels are in the Works

Following the financial and critical success of this summer's Mad Max: Fury Road, this seems like a forgone conclusion.

Pretty much everyone with a pulse went bonkers for the action-packed, Tom Hardy-starring Mad Max: Fury Road this summer. Having grossed franchise [http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=furyroad.htm], after all.

In any case, director George Miller recently discussed his future plans for the franchise with [http://www.topgear.com/car-news/movies/two-more-mad-max-films-coming-says-fury-road-director], and wouldn't you know it, he's already got two back-to-back sequels in the works.

This film (Fury Road) was green lit three times and fell over three times over a decade. We went to shoot with Mel Gibson back in 2001, but then 9/11 happened, and the American dollar collapsed against the Australian dollar close to 30 per cent, so we lost that amount of budget overnight.

We were then rained out of Australia. The desert rained for the first time in 15 years, and we ended up in southwest Africa, Namibia. But in this process, we had dug down deep into the backstory, not only of the characters, but of every vehicle. How the steering wheels became religious artifacts and things like that.

So we ended up with two scripts, without really trying. We're talking to the studio (Warner Bros) about it as we speak, but which one of the two stories will happen next, I'm not so sure.

Given that Miller was able to pull off a rare feat in directing a highly-successful -- and perhaps more importantly, faithful -- sequel to Mad Max some 30 years after Beyond Thunderdome was released, it would be hard not to be excited to see what else he has in store. But according to Miller, he will first have to take a project less tasking before moving ahead with the gloriously over-the-top franchise that he owes his success to.

"I want to do a small film without special effects before I do any of that, just to do it quickly," said Miller. "We shot Fury Road for eight months... that's a lot. Every day in the heat and the dust, doing these stunts, it's very wearing. We've got two more planned, but at some point in the future."

Whatever you say, George. Just make sure that fire-spitting guitar guy receives his due tribute (fire-spitting saxophone guy, maybe? Bob-omb-shooting drummer?).

Source: Top Gear [http://www.topgear.com/car-news/movies/two-more-mad-max-films-coming-says-fury-road-director]

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
*Watching the Blu-ray release as I type this*

Please don't ruin it, please don't ruin it, PLEASE DON'T RUIN IT!

I loved the film and I'm defiantly interested to see where they take it but for all that is shiny and chrome, keep them effects practical, it was one of the best things about the new movie.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I was talking to my friend about this recently: I'm going to try to push to memory of the pure rush that was Fury Road out of my head when I watch the next Mad Max movie because I want to handle the comparisons after the movie, not during it. Yes I'm excited but its one of those things where I'm simultaneously wanting it while feeling satisfied enough to not need a sequel. I don't think it could come out bad, I just need to get the last experience out of my system...

Mar 30, 2010
As someone who's just watched Fury Road I've got to say Max was a bit lost in his own film. The entire (and I mean entire) film was perfectly watchable as Furiosa vs Immortal Joe and the War Boys - Max himself was a supporting character at best. Still, interested in seeing what they do with the franchise. Hopefully Max will play more of a central role, but I'd like to see a return to 'Max the Merc' that we saw in the originals, an anti-hero who won't help anyone unless they're being paid rather than the Max who follows other, stronger, characters leads 'cause of flashback reasons like we got in the otherwise entertaining Fury Road.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Grouchy Imp said:
As someone who's just watched Fury Road I've got to say Max was a bit lost in his own film. The entire (and I mean entire) film was perfectly watchable as Furiosa vs Immortal Joe and the War Boys - Max himself was a supporting character at best. Still, interested in seeing what they do with the franchise. Hopefully Max will play more of a central role, but I'd like to see a return to 'Max the Merc' that we saw in the originals, an anti-hero who won't help anyone unless they're being paid rather than the Max who follows other, stronger, characters leads 'cause of flashback reasons like we got in the otherwise entertaining Fury Road.
It's funny because this has been brought up quite a lot, but Max is basically a supporting character in all the films. When you get down to it, he's basically just a wanderer who wants nothing more than to survive and to not get involved in the business of others, yet he always gets caught up in situations where he needs to get involved with others. Eventually, of course, he finds his humanity and decides to help the people in need.

So basically, he's like 99% of protagonists from old Western movies.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
IT WILL RIDE ETERNAL! SHINY AND CHROME!

Oh god, please let this not be a case of sequelitis!

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
PunkRex said:
*Watching the Blu-ray release as I type this*

Please don't ruin it, please don't ruin it, PLEASE DON'T RUIN IT!

I loved the film and I'm defiantly interested to see where they take it but for all that is shiny and chrome, keep them effects practical, it was one of the best things about the new movie.
Miller fought tooth and nail to get this film made the way he wanted it. The producers have seen how successful it was, in no small part due to the incredible practical effects.

If there's ever a movie I'll go out to see on the opening weekend, it'll be the sequel to Fury Road. Before any reviews, before anyone I know has seen it. That's my confidence.

He held on to a vision for decades and executed it beautifully. He deserves the benefit of a few doubts.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
I don't want to spoil the party, I really don't. I saw 'Fury Road' in the cinema and absolutely hated it. The two guys I was with didn't like it as well.

But seeing the acclaim this movie gets I think I'm missing something. So I'm wondering what makes the film special for you. Is it because of the action sequences? Is there a deeper layer that went over my head?

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
Xerosch said:
I don't want to spoil the party, I really don't. I saw 'Fury Road' in the cinema and absolutely hated it. The two guys I was with didn't like it as well.

But seeing the acclaim this movie gets I think I'm missing something. So I'm wondering what makes the film special for you. Is it because of the action sequences? Is there a deeper layer that went over my head?
not every film connects with everyone

its an over the top, crazy ass action film with some of the best car chase scenes ever filmed and that resonates with people looking for a pop corn film. its not citizen kane but it is very good at what it promises

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I don't know, George... Is it possible to top Fury Road? Now given, I didn't think Fury Road could top Mad Max 2, but you raised the bar quite high here. And every other following character opposite Max will get compared to Furiosa.

Also, Fury Road had a very positive and hopeful ending, which felt like a good way to cap off this franchise.

Take care not to fall to hubris, Miller.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I liked that they used practical effects more than I did the movie itself. I like most post-apocalyptic movies, but not when they are centered around cars.

Mar 30, 2010
Ihateregistering1 said:
Grouchy Imp said:
It's funny because this has been brought up quite a lot, but Max is basically a supporting character in all the films. When you get down to it, he's basically just a wanderer who wants nothing more than to survive and to not get involved in the business of others, yet he always gets caught up in situations where he needs to get involved with others. Eventually, of course, he finds his humanity and decides to help the people in need.

I dunno. Max may have always been a wanderer who inadvertently stumbled across trouble, but he was then instrumental in resolving those troubles. The Oilers (or whatever they were called) in MM2 would have fallen to Humongous' gang without Max's direct intervention. Bartertown wouldn't have been freed without Max there as the catalyst to drive things forward. But In Fury Road everything is already in motion and happening with or without Max, and that kind of makes him feel like just a hanger-on. Of course, it's entirely possible that Max was just as involved in events as ever but was simply out-shone and up-staged by a brilliant performance from Theron as Furiosa.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Grouchy Imp said:
Ihateregistering1 said:
Grouchy Imp said:

I dunno. Max may have always been a wanderer who inadvertently stumbled across trouble, but he was then instrumental in resolving those troubles. The Oilers (or whatever they were called) in MM2 would have fallen to Humongous' gang without Max's direct intervention. Bartertown wouldn't have been freed without Max there as the catalyst to drive things forward. But In Fury Road everything is already in motion and happening with or without Max, and that kind of makes him feel like just a hanger-on. Of course, it's entirely possible that Max was just as involved in events as ever but was simply out-shone and up-staged by a brilliant performance from Theron as Furiosa.
Yes, he is an important factor, but he is almost never the catalyst. The Oilers would still get attacked by the gangs, the children survived for a long time before Max appear, and Entity seems to be on a quest to get someone to kill Master-Blaster for a while, even before Max arrives. That is what it means to be a hanger-on his own movies.

With the exception of Mad Max 1, it is never HIS story, he just stumbled around into other people's problems and helps them out of his desire to survive (not really altruism, more like utilitarianism). It is one of the most interesting aspects of Miller as a world builder: people have agencies and stories that go a long way before Max crosses their paths, and most of the stories are not triggered by "the hero"'s agency.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
Unless a thing comes out, I don't care, but I'm glad that something as "anti-success" movie as Fury Road was, actually made it through and did really well. The moment I saw the trailer I knew I had to watch and it's probably going to be the same with the other two ones, if they happen.

Although I would really like if they keep with the formula and just make a different thing every time.
PunkRex said:
Considering that even the pole-vaulting guys were stunts, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Xerosch said:
It was mostly the whole thing viewed as just one big composition, from the score that's integral to the whole thing, to the visual aspects of the film, and the "rush" the execution brings.

Some people want straight forward character arcs and plot progression, Fury Road wasn't it, although there IS character development, it isn't the focus of it, and the whole thing is basically one big art piece, but not in that snobby "you don't get it" kinda way, and that's to the point where the special edition was supposed to come with a Black and White and a no-dialogue version.