George RR Martin Sells Chance to Die in His Books for Charity

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
It seems like one of those little things you can either focus on or shrug off, like the way the show changed the appearance of some of the characters. Changing art for out side reasons can be REALLY harmful but this seems like a small issue and even if it is a publicity stunt it's creative, fun and for charity.

Freaking awesome in my opinion, now I gotta finish season 3 before people start spoiling season 4 for me... not that that hasn't happened already, LOOKING AT YOU GREY!!!

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
Meh, GRRM isn't really all that brutal to his characters. Only two major POV characters have died in the books (maybe 3?). Most have been one-offs or very minor characters. The deaths aren't even really that shocking either. In terms of TV, Game of Thrones is pretty unique in how often characters die, but in literature, Martin has a long way to go to catch up to the really brutal authors. Have you ever read anything from India set during the Partition? If GoT has you crying, this shit will make your head explode.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
But can you name them?

If I'd buy that chance I'd want my OC Ser Storknozzle Fartbucket to go by his real name.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
maxben said:
Branindain said:
Super Not Cosmo said:
So let's say I win the drawing and get to spend a day with ol' George. Do you think it would be ok for me to insist that instead of lunch and a nice day out we instead spend the entire day inside while I browse the internet on my Galaxy tablet and he works on Winds of Winter breaking only sparingly for bologna sammiches and Mountain Dew.
Lol I love this idea. I'll donate to you if you spend a day ACTUALLY WRITING THE NEXT DAMN BOOK BEFORE YOU JORDAN OUT ON ME, OLD MAN!

(Note: I actually think Brandon Sanderson was the best thing to happen to that series.)
Brandon Sanderson is one of the best things to happen to fantasy period!
I strongly disagree; I found his books to be the weakest of the lot despite having the coolest bits and I really dislike his writing style. I sat down, finished the series, and then just didn't read it again.

You know how people complained that the end of Mass Effect 3 ruined all the games? He did that for me regarding Wheel of Time.

But it's my subjective opinion, I envy you that you enjoy it.

Vegosiux said:
Publicity stunt, nothing else.

Now I'm sure a certain kind of people is going to worship this as if it was the holy gospel, but...in the end, it's a marketing move.
Jacco said:
What absolute arrogance. GRR Martin never ceases to amaze me.

"You get to die in MY book if you donate to a cause IIIIIIIIII support because IIIII say so."

And people eat this shit up. Jesus almighty.
Jesus Christ, an author gives fans a chance to take part in his books and make them feel great as well as the chance to spend the day with one of their favourite authors if they donate to a charity that does cool things and therefore you complain?

Bloody hell, what does it take to please you two? Are you the people who would complain if EA gave them a free copy of Battlefield 4, SimCity or anything else as "Well, EA are only giving me free things because they want me to play their games, it's all marketing".

This is ridiculous. This forum just amazes me sometimes.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Taking bets on which one dies by way of "Nonthreatening floppy and flaccid wiener"

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Leon Declis said:
Jesus Christ, an author gives fans a chance to take part in his books and make them feel great as well as the chance to spend the day with one of their favourite authors if they donate to a charity that does cool things and therefore you complain?
I don't quite remember throwing a fit like this...

Bloody hell, what does it take to please you two?
You really want to know?

Are you the people who would complain if EA gave them a free copy of Battlefield 4, SimCity or anything else as "Well, EA are only giving me free things because they want me to play their games, it's all marketing".
We'll see if that situation pops up.

This is ridiculous. This forum just amazes me sometimes.
My post was merely a remark about Martin's public campaign, I was not attacking anyone.

Bottom line is, while it's regrettable that my post upset you so much, I don't see what I should have done instead in order to not upset you. Sometimes people will be cynical about things you like. It happens to all of us, all the time.

PS: It's truly amazing that nobody seems to have commented on the other half of my post.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
erttheking said:
Jacco said:

"You get to die in MY book if you donate to a cause IIIIIIIIII support because IIIII say so."

Oh lighten up. He's donating to charity, fans get to have the fun of dying in his book, everyone wins. What's the downside?
The downside is having to listen to people like Jacco complain about how this is somehow a bad thing. As though celebrities donating things to raise money for charity is somehow a thing they should be ashamed of.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
Now these two people just need to legally change their names to Ramsay Bolton and Cersei Lannister.

Sorted!

K12

Dec 28, 2012
Jacco said:

Yeah fuck him for giving money to a good cause in a novel and entertaining way. What a wanker!

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Vivi22 said:
erttheking said:
Jacco said:

Oh lighten up. He's donating to charity, fans get to have the fun of dying in his book, everyone wins. What's the downside?
The downside is having to listen to people like Jacco complain about how this is somehow a bad thing. As though celebrities donating things to raise money for charity is somehow a thing they should be ashamed of.
But don't you see the obvious downsides? They're so obvious, we won't even identify them!

And how fucking dare people respect someone for using his fame to help others. You should all be ashamed of yourselves, with your not being overly cynical, hate-filled little demons and such.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Well it is George RR Martin

I'm pretty sure the disciples accidentally left him to ghost-write the last few chapters of their gospel books when the Bible was getting transcribed.

"Hey George, sorry we're late, Simon the Tanner held a surprise feast in our honour and you know how we like to party. So How's the story coming along? Have you ascended the Son of God to the throne like all the prophesies depict yet?"

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
George, with all the people dying in the wars of the seven kingdoms and in Essos, I'm probably already there and dead as is, AND I DEMAND MY ROYALTIES, DAMMIT!

Lyvric

Nov 29, 2011
A nice thought but a bit too expensive. Having 'prizes/offers' that jump from 100 to 450, over 4x in amount is silly.

I don't mind people selling stuff for charity, but a 450$ poster or 600$ cookbook seems silly next to a 50$ shirt.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Vivi22 said:
As though celebrities donating things to raise money for charity is somehow a thing they should be ashamed of.
Its not a charity though, its a sale. charity is when you give money and expect NOTHING in return. Most of things we call charity isnt actual charity, but rather an investment or a sale. Not that such a sale is a bad thing. but people who are actually donating to charity should be donating to charity instead of boasting about it. and people who throw money to charity for publicitly, well, we have enough of them as it is.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Game of Thrones...blah blah...grisly death...blah blah. Is anyone else starting to get bored with all the worship thrown at this series and the delight shown with its high bodycount?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the TV show and when its all done I'll likely read the books for a fresh perspective but ffs, why do some people talk about nothing else?