Georgia Rep. Park Cannon Speaks Out for First Time Since Arrest

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I don't suppose you live in a country with voter identification, do you? Were they solving a problem that didn't exist by implementing that? Was is ass-backwards to do so?
Geeze man, it was Sunday, sorry but I have better things to do than to argue on the Internet, for example I played Final Fantasy XII for 14 hours this Sunday and I must say that's a much better use of my time.

As for then IDs, yeah we do have them in México they're mostly pointless, basically just make you waste your time if you want to vote, because you may need to go anywhere between 2 and 5 times just to get the ID, and then if you move you have to get a new one otherwise you're not eligible to vote in local elections (You still can vote for president, just not the local candidates like Governor, Municipal President, senators, etc), seems to me like mostly a waste of time and resources, the difference if we had them or not wouldn't be significantly big other than there'd be less time wasted if we didn't have them, therefore I don't think they're necessary and if they're not necessary then they're a waste of time and resources.
What you need ID for:

Legally drive in the USA
Have a bank account
Have a Paypal account
Buy tickets to a number of events
Buy alcohol
Buy Weed
Watch age gated content on youtube (yes really that's a new thing being brought in)
Some states welfare payments
Gun registration / ownership
Permits for protests etc
To legally get married
Certain medication purchases.

Would it really be a waste of time to push for people to have some form of ID to access said services?
Requiring an ID for all of that sounds like an authoritarian hellhole, like I can kinda understand it for making it harder for minors to access mind altering substances and guns for minors, and under the system we live in having some certification for financial affairs is standard so that kind of stuff doesn't surprise me, but really for youtube? Like you have to give up sensitive information to a megacorp? That sounds like a terrible idea putting you personal information at risk for something like watching a youtube video is absolutely absurd and needing a permit to protest?
That's just fucking stupid, I bet it costs money too, to me that screams authoritarian hell-hole

AND YES, it would be a waste of time because those services, particularly the right to protest which automatically makes it illegal for unregistered people (By which I mean both people who weren't registered when they were born and illegal immigrants) to protest, you should be furious that you require an ID to do these things, it's such a transparent attempt of the government to suppress the voices of the marginalised that I don't even know what to say, actually I don't even know if you're talking about where you live.

Some states apply ID laws to gun ownership with is the 2nd amendment right but voting is seen as a problem to require ID? Supposedly the right to bear arms is a right every US citizen has but that's restricted by ID laws so it seems funny really people are trying to make the argument against voter ID laws when the same people really aren't going to be calling for repeals of gun ID laws anytime soon.

Here it's Fox news but it kinda shows the almost hilarity of the voter ID debate

I don't think you get it, just because one thing is being arbitrarily inconvenienced it doesn't mean more things should be, in fact we should be wanting to streamline these processes so that more people can vote, that is after all the point of a DEMOCRACY, you shouldn't be gatekeeping voting you should be expanding it so that the voices of the people can be heard, reducing the number of people that can vote goes directly against the principle of DEMOCRACY.

As for the argument about people who are illiterate......... how the hell do they manage to get through life? I mean even to vote you have to be able to read the names of the candidates to know who you're voting for most places I'd imagine so already the system is excluding them from truly having a voice.
I get it it's nigh impossible to imagine, I have basically been able to read and right as far back as I can remember, to the point that I don't even remember learning to do so, it's more like a thing I can do as naturally as just being able to see, which is exactly my point, we don't think about these things because reading is so natural that there's no need to, so rather than trying to put more barriers in the way of voting we should be working in eliminating, if a significant portion of the population probably can't vote because they can't read, we should be investigating how we can help them do it without them having to read, things like having photos and investigating what are universally understood symbols could help, but also recognising that they must actually be really clever, I can't even imagine how I would manage my life if I couldn't read or write so they must be extremely resourceful, besides considering the shit people write I think it's pretty safe to say that being able to read or write isn't a sign of intelligence, I mean I learned how to do it when I was 3 and I'm nothing remotely close to genius.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Ok why tighten gun restrictions when the bad uses of them are vastly outnumbered by the responsible user?

That a good enough one?
No, not if you'd even put a moment's thought into it.

The ratio of "bad uses" to "responsible users" means fuck all when the US averages at least 1 mass shooting per day [1], 20 school shootings per year [2], 350 'unintentional shootings by children' per year [3], and the highest firearm-related deaths per capita of any 1st world country (440% higher than Austria, the next highest one) [4].

[1] https://time.com/5949772/mass-shootings-normal-america/
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States#2010s
[3] https://everytownresearch.org/maps/notanaccident/
[4] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

Last edited:

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
For Republicans, yes it is. If it was really about making sure everyone can be positively IDed, they would pay to issue everyone an ID as soon as they're old enough to vote.
In my very red state that used to be safely blue we have a voter ID law introduced after we became safely red. I have trouble believing there are any significant number of people who can legally vote but cannot supply any of the accepted ID. The following are valid voter IDs here:
  • Valid West Virginia driver’s license or valid West Virginia identification card issued by the West Virginia Division of Motor Vehicles
  • Valid driver’s license issued by a state other than the State of West Virginia
  • Valid United States passport or passport card
  • Valid employee identification card with a photograph of the eligible voter issued by any branch, department, agency, or entity of the United States government or of the State of West Virginia, or by any county, municipality, board, authority, or other political subdivision of West Virginia
  • Valid student identification card with a photograph issued by an institution of higher education in West Virginia
  • Valid high school identification card issued by a West Virginia high school
  • Valid military identification card issued by the United States with a photograph of the person desiring to vote
  • Valid concealed carry (pistol/revolver) permit issued by the sheriff of the county with a photograph of the person desiring to vote
  • Valid Medicare card or Social Security card
  • Valid birth certificate
  • Valid voter registration card issued by a county clerk in the State of West Virginia
  • Valid hunting or fishing license issued by the State of West Virginia
  • Valid identification card issued to the voter by the West Virginia Supplemental Nutrition Assistance (SNAP) program
  • Valid identification card issued to the voter by the West Virginia Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program
  • Valid identification card issued to the voter by West Virginia Medicaid
  • Valid bank card or valid debit card
  • Valid utility bill issued within six months of the date of the election
  • Valid bank statement issued within six months of the date of the election
  • Valid health insurance card issued to the voter
If find it ridiculous to believe that the purpose was to exclude anyone from voting. Also, there's an exemption for people living in an assisted living or nursing home that is also their polling place, and also an exemption if you have someone with you who has their own ID and is willing to sign an affidavit stating that they have known you for at least six months and you are who you claim you are (this person *can* be a poll worker if a poll worker meets that description). It's also worth noting that a "voter registration card issued by a county clerk" is mailed to you for free when you register to vote or update your address.

If that ID costs anything- even a penny- then it constitutes a poll tax, which is explicitly forbidden by the Constitution.
According to the Georgia SOS website, the following IDs are acceptable for voting (bold mine):
  • Any valid state or federal government issued photo ID, including a free ID Card issued by your county registrar's office or the Georgia Department of Driver Services (DDS)
  • A Georgia Driver's License, even if expired
  • Valid employee photo ID from any branch, department, agency, or entity of the U.S. Government, Georgia, or any county, municipality, board, authority or other entity of this state
  • Valid U.S. passport ID
  • Valid U.S. military photo ID
  • Valid tribal photo ID
Well other states have apparently found a way to do it without it being considered a violation of the constitution.
Generally by having at least one of the options for a valid ID for voting being something that is given out free, in the case of my state that includes your voter registration card or having someone vouch for you.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
No, not if you'd even put a moment's thought into it.

The ratio of "bad uses" to "responsible users" means fuck all when the US averages at least 1 mass shooting per day [1], 20 school shootings per year [2], 350 'unintentional shootings by children' per year [3], and the highest firearm-related deaths per capita of any 1st world country (440% higher than Austria, the next highest one) [4].

[1] https://time.com/5949772/mass-shootings-normal-america/
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States#2010s
[3] https://everytownresearch.org/maps/notanaccident/
[4] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate
out of millions of people though.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Did your very red state that used to be blue have a problem with the kind of voting fraud that would be stopped by ID, and additionally, did the first draft of that Voter ID law have significantly fewer forms of acceptable ID before it sustained or was threatened with legal action?

When the party of small government and personal responsibility starts adding governmental regulations to processes that aren't broken, you have to ask "why?"

Generals

Elite Member
May 19, 2020
Are you just straight up trolling now or are you honestly failing to understand how someone losing their life is incomparable to an invalid vote?
Clearly Dwarven would be willing to sacrifice his life to stop an invalid vote.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Did your very red state that used to be blue have a problem with the kind of voting fraud that would be stopped by ID, and additionally, did the first draft of that Voter ID law have significantly fewer forms of acceptable ID before it sustained or was threatened with legal action?

When the party of small government and personal responsibility starts adding governmental regulations to processes that aren't broken, you have to ask "why?"
I think this sums up my thoughts. If there's no problem with voter fraud to justify these measures, why enact them? It screams to me of an ulterior motive.

Of course, there is the possibility that having spent so many years whipping up fears of electoral fraud, the justification is that it solves the problem of lack of trust in the election process... that they sowed in the first place.

Reactions: Buyetyen

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Are you just straight up trolling now or are you honestly failing to understand how someone losing their life is incomparable to an invalid vote?
I guess you might need to ask yourself "What is the value of true democracy and freedom?"

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I guess you might need to ask yourself "What is the value of true democracy and freedom?"
Funny you dare to say that while arguing for restricting access to voting.

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Funny you dare to say that while arguing for restricting access to voting.
So you're trolling then.
No because what point is there to a compromised democracy where peoples votes can be over-ridden to a greater or lesser extent by potential fraudulent votes. The problem will only get worse as races get closer and closer too.