German Gamers Get Heavily Censored Bulletstorm

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
German Gamers Get Heavily Censored Bulletstorm

Bulletstorm [http://www.amazon.com/Bulletstorm-Limited-Playstation-3/dp/B003H0CBYS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1297276600&sr=8-2] has been given an 18+ rating in Germany, but it's a heavily-censored 18+ that cuts out almost everything you'd want to play the game for in the first place.

You can file this one under "least surprising news of the day." Germany, a notoriously inhospitable environment when it comes to violent videogames, has granted an 18+ rating to the upcoming shooter Bulletstorm, but only after it was heavily censored to meet the country's content guidelines. Gone from the game are blood, splatter, dismemberment and ragdoll effects, which are pretty devastating cuts for a game that bills itself as an exercise in devising new and creatively violent ways to kill stuff.

There was no chance that Bulletstorm, one of the more controversial games in recent memory, was ever going to make it onto German shelves intact. Germany's made it under the wire [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USK] with just a minor tweak to the multiplayer.

German gamers might still get a shot at the real deal through the Austrian version of the game, which is uncensored and carries a PEGI rating of 18+. But because it doesn't carry a USK seal, it can be banned or "indexed" by the country's youth protection board. According to GamesIndustry [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-02-09-censored-bulletstorm-given-18-rating-in-germany], retailers like Amazon have found that PEGI-rated games often sell much better than their USK-rated counterparts - big surprise there - but the sale of indexed games in Germany can actually result in criminal charges, so it's a bit of a dicey proposition.

Due to youth protection laws, isn't worth the trouble [http://www.ea.com].

Bulletstorm comes out on February 22 for the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
I kinda wanna see what this would look like. Without dismemberment, blood and ragdoll, won't that mean dead bodies either vanish or turn into statues a la TF2's golden wrench?

GiantRedButton

Mar 30, 2009
You'll still be able to buy the uncensored version in stores, but you aren't allowed to advertise the game unless theres a rated version of it.
The international version won't get rated, so advertising isn't allowed but it still can be sold as long as the buyer is 18+. The rating only matters if your under 18. Since there is a rated censored version they can advertise again.
In case any non german reader wonder how it works here.

A good example was one of the new C&C games, the original version was denied a rating, so they released a censored version and an uncensored unrated "Kane Edition", both are sold openly in stores and 18+

Dec 14, 2009
9_6 said:
Censoring games clearly labeled to be only accessible for adults over the age of 18 anyway.
Tax money well spent.
This. If it's an 18+ game then why the hell does it need to be censored?

You don't 'protect' children from a video game that they shouldn't have access to in the first place.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
What will blulletstorm be like with censores!

IT wont be the same.

GiantRedButton

Mar 30, 2009
9_6 said:
Censoring games clearly labeled to be only accessible for adults over the age of 18 anyway.
Tax money well spent.
Exactly, 18+ people have access to non rated games anyway so they'll just get the international version.
The system was made by people who know nothing about games and don't have to care about cost since it's taxpayer money (and the publishers sadly).
Still sucks, because steam will only sell the censored version, they don't have an age check so they always give you the worse version, gonna have to go to a more expensive store for that >.<
Or ask a friend to gift it.

Moriarty

Apr 29, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
9_6 said:
Tax money well spent.

You don't 'protect' children from a video game that they shouldn't have access to in the first place.
they shouldn't have, but the fact remains, the have.

I don't agree with our censors, but I can understand their point. If it's going to be available in stores, minors will get access to it easily. Adding the need to import to get the uncensored version adds a new hurdle that's going to keep the adult content out of the hands of some (but of course not all) minors.

GiantRedButton

Mar 30, 2009
Moriarty said:
Daystar Clarion said:
9_6 said:
Tax money well spent.

they shouldn't have to, but the fact remains, the have.

I don't agree with our censors, but I can understand their point. If it's going to be available in stores, minors will get access to it easily. Adding the need to import to get the uncensored version adds a new hurdle that's going to keep the adult content out of the hands of some (but of course not all) minors.
Most stores have the import versions on shelf though, it doesn't really help.

Marcu5

Jun 24, 2009
A friend of mine currently resides in the UK for a few months... i'v never bought as many games as i am doing right now... or rather: she is ;)

The UK versions are also always cheaper (30% in case of Borderlans GotY, WTF?!) so i'm also saving myself some money (even when including shipping - as i usually import them).

Dec 14, 2009
Moriarty said:
Daystar Clarion said:
9_6 said:
Tax money well spent.

they shouldn't have to, but the fact remains, the have.

It just seems counter-productive for people to have to import 18+ games (thus lowering profit for German retailers) just to stop kids from getting their hands on games they shouldn't have. It's usually a bad idea to punish the consumer.

Moriarty

Apr 29, 2009
GiantRedButton said:
"Most stores"? I haven't found a single store to have one.

I'm pretty sure they aren't allowed to have the untested version on display anyway. They might have some in the back, but you have to specifically ask them for it.

Daystar Clarion said:
It just seems counter-productive for people to have to import 18+ games (thus lowering profit for German retailers) just to stop kids from getting their hands on games they shouldn't have. It's usually a bad idea to punish the consumer.
Those arguments could be used to counter ANY form of censoring/restricting sales, so I don't see the point. Retailers would sell drugs if we'd allow them to, censors are restricting access to certain wares to provide safe shopping opportunities for general audiences.

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
I never buy german versions, so whatever.I prefer my media in original versions. So Drakensang, Gothic and co are good to buy in german. Even if i would want it to be german, i get if from austria as posted above or its just a bloodpatch away.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
My thoughts on cases like this is that the game companies themselves should start acting in opposition to the goverment. Such as using their resources to start backing PACs (Political Action Comittees) and and opposition to the laws in order to fuel reform.

Oh sure, I know why they won't, but then again I think that's one of the big problems with censorship. Industries that just roll over and take it because they don't want to go through the trouble or spend the money, rarely ever see the problems dealt with.

Hollywood for example spent a lot of time fighting for movies to become what they are now. Sure, there are still issues with them and censorship, but not what we would have seen otherwise. In the long run I think it also benefitted from this financially.

I said much the same things about Australia.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
imnotparanoid said:
What will blulletstorm be like with censores!
space pirate happy fun tyme (because poor literact is KEWL!)
OT
yet they can buy the game just a across the border (still a scary thought that a country that wants to bann "mature" games is just a few miles from my house)

GiantRedButton

Mar 30, 2009
Moriarty said:
GiantRedButton said:
"Most stores"? I haven't found a single store to have one.

I'm pretty sure they aren't allowed to have the untested version on display anyway. They might have some in the back, but you have to specifically ask them for it.

Daystar Clarion said:
Those arguments could be used to counter ANY form of censoring/restricting sales, so I don't see the point. Retailers would sell drugs if we'd allow them to, censors are restricting access to certain wares to provide safe shopping opportunities for general audiences.
Ill post some pics when i get to town again. do you go to specific game shops? The only one that didn't have them were gamestop and supermarkets. But yes it is legal, a few years back age restrictions didn't apply to used games btw. Well during the early game cube years anyway.