German TV Says Star Trek Terrorists Killed Bin Laden

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
German TV Says Star Trek Terrorists Killed Bin Laden

According to a German news station, the operatives who killed Al-Qaeda's leader weren't US Navy SEALs. In fact, they weren't even from this century.

It was slightly over a week ago that the world learned that an American strike team had killed #1 Most Wanted Osama Bin Laden in a covert operation in Pakistan. Given the speed of the internet, it's surprising that it took this long for the world to learn of the following blooper:

German news station N24 [http://www.n24.de/] was quick to report on the death of Bin Laden at the hands of Navy SEALs. In its rush, however, N24 could not apparently find the actual logo for Navy SEAL Team Six, and instead used the logo for the Maquis Special Operations Seals Team VI. Which wouldn't be so bad, except the Maquis' Seals Team VI is actually a group of terrorists.

More specifically, they're a group of terrorists from the 24th century on Star Trek. Whoops.

According to TrekMovie.com [http://trekmovie.com/2011/05/06/geman-tv-fail-star-treks-maquis-not-involved-in-bin-laden-mission/], presenter Mick Locher even commented on the logo: "They don't have the skull in their emblem for nothing." Except that the skull is clearly that of a Klingon, surrounded by the Klingon's ancestral bat'leth weapon. And the eagle in the middle is holding what looks to be a phaser.

Oh, and apparently, the logo itself wasn't actually official, but rather the work of devoted Star Trek fans, completing the cycle of failure. This is just one of those things where you just kind of shift in your chair because it's a bit awkward. Awkward, and also hilarious.

(Via CNet [http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-20061024-71.html])

Pzest

Nov 15, 2007
I had no idea the Maquis were THAT awesome. Time to rewatch some Star Trek!

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
haha! That is hilarious!

Ensign Ro did it!

That certainly explains her disappearance.

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
Oh those WACKY Europeans. What will they mix up next? It only feels like last year that they mistook Pedobear for a Canadian Winter Olympics mascot.

Oh wait, it was. [http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/7187027/Polish-newspaper-claims-Pedobear-is-2010-Vancouver-Olympic-mascot.html]

IndianaJonny

Mysteron Display Team
Jan 6, 2011
Logo is fan-made. trekmovie article [//trekmovie.com/2011/05/06/geman-tv-fail-star-treks-maquis-not-involved-in-bin-laden-mission/]

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
IndianaJonny said:
Logo is fan-made. trekmovie [//trekmovie.com/2011/05/06/geman-tv-fail-star-treks-maquis-not-involved-in-bin-laden-mission/]
Thanks, updating to clarify.

Polaris19

Aug 12, 2010
Fox News got it wrong about eight times. First it was Obama bin Laden, then it was Usama bin Laden. I think it went downhill from their.

This is hilarious though...

Mavinchious Maximus

Apr 13, 2011
Hey you don't know if this was true, it seems more realistic then a super power hunting a man for ten years and turn up no findings until now.

Ketsuban

Dec 22, 2010
manythings said:
Ha! Silly krauts.
That's an offensive slur and I suggest you refrain from using it in future.

Gottesstrafe said:
Oh those WHACKY Europeans. What will they mix up next? It only feels like last year that they mistook Pedobear for a Canadian Winter Olympics mascot.
Thanks, that's not offensive or condescending to anyone who isn't German or Polish at all. Also, it's spelled "wacky".

Polaris19 said:
Fox News got it wrong about eight times. First it was Obama bin Laden, then it was Usama bin Laden. I think it went downhill from their.
The first is an easy typo to make if you're being absent-minded and don't read what you're writing, considering you have two major political figures with extremely similar names. The second isn't an error, because there's no one correct way to romanise the Arabic name أسامة بن لادن, and "Usama" is the romanisation used by the FBI.

MikailCaboose

Jun 16, 2009
Polaris19 said:

This is hilarious though...
Almost EVERY news station got "Osama" wrong.

XandNobody

Oh for...
Aug 4, 2010
I had a final today, one I probably did badly on, however because of this? My day is now awesome.

I thank you, ignorant news station, for making my day awesome.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
FACT: The Maquis featured heavily in Star Trek: Voyager
FACT: King Abdullah II of Jordan was once an extra in an episode of Star Trek: Voyager

Coincidence? I think not.

Enkidu88

Jan 24, 2010
I see some intrepid starship once again stumbled through a temporal distortion. Luckily it was the Maquis, the federation would have just let the bastard go because of the Temporal Prime Directive.