Get a First Look at Far Cry 5 and a Release Date in this New Trailer

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Get a First Look at Far Cry 5 and a Release Date in this New Trailer

The first full-length trailer for Far Cry 5 is out, and it shows you the cult militia you'll be squaring off with.

It's only been 10 days since Ubisoft announced Far Cry 5 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/170375-Ubisoft-Announces-Far-Cry-5-The-Crew-2-Teases-Assassins-Creed-Reveal], and we've just seen the game's first trailer released. The trailer shows off the new American setting for the game, and introduces the cult militia you'll be up against. The official description reads,

"Welcome to Hope County, Montana. When your arrival incites the cult to violently seize control of the region, you must rise up and spark the fires of resistance to liberate a besieged community."

The cult calls itself "The Project at Eden's Gate," and it's preying on the citizens of Hope County. You'll have to join the resistance, and fight back. You can play by yourself, or invite a friend to play alongside you in co-op.

Ubi says that it will be showing lots more of the game at E3 next month, but for now, it definitely has our attention. You can find more information, including all the digital pre-order bonuses, over at the game's official website [https://far-cry.ubisoft.com/game/en-us/home/index.aspx]. Far Cry 5 will launch for PC, PS4, and XBox One on February 27, 2018.

[gallery=7419]

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Damn it, the baddies aren't wearing red hats.

Such an opportunity wasted. You disappoint me Ubisoft.

There's a bunch of other trailers for anyone who's interested. They're nothing special though.

Mar 30, 2010
Hmm. I feel like Far Cry keeps flirting with the possibility of being a really good survival game, with all the crafting, skill trees, and wild creatures roaming through the open wilderness, but then they go and spoil it by filling it with guns. A Komodo Dragon running at you from the treeline is a terrifying prospect - if you aren't toting enough weaponry to embarrass a small country. Blood Dragon got away with it because the creatures in question were armour-plated and could soak up the damage. Tribal got away with it because your weapons were limited to a variety of pointy sticks. But contemporary, modern-day Far Crys just lose all of the tension of the survival aspect due to the ready availability of beastie insta-killing weaponry.

Jan 12, 2012
Zhukov said:
I'm sure MAGA hats and replacing the dialogue of all the cult members with Trump clips will be literally the first mod in the Workshop.

Second will be reskinning the cult to be SJW extremists.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Zhukov said:

Such an opportunity wasted. You disappoint me Ubisoft.
You mean like the gnomes from Fable 3?
I'm now expecting Far Cry 5 to be about Good Christians versus Bad Christians.

T_ConX

Mar 8, 2010
When I first heard that the next Far Cry was going to involve fighting back against a group of religious extremist militants who have taken over a rural countryside and are executing anyone who doesn't submit to their beliefs, I thought we were going to be fighting ISIS.

But nope! It's rednecks! In Montana, a state that saw 35 homicides in 2015!

Seriously, while everyone was salivating at the thought of 'smashing the fasc', ISIS took over a city of 200,000 in The Philippines. The fiction of this game is literally happening RIGHT NOW!

Can't wait for more details though! Will the melee weapon be an upgradable Bike Lock? Is there a big plot twist where we find out that 'The Project at Eden's Gate' is being financed by the Russians?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
They should have a mission where you have to protect journalists from political leaders

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Kind of interested, but it's Ubisoft so I expect some weird stunts in the vein of W_D and day one DLC1/exclusive content.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
I am interested, even if its the same formula as Far Cry 3/4 I prefer the FarCry games more than any other Ubisoft Open World games.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Saelune said:
They should have a mission where you have to protect journalists from political leaders
You might have to settle for body slamming Jesse Ventura in WWE 2K99!
Preorder now to get a gamble box that might have Jon Stewart!

EDIT
Implied references are about Gianforte who just won an election in Montana.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
The game's antagonists are fanatical violent cult whose recruitment method is convert or die and they kill anyone who isn't them? That's funny...they don't look islamic.

DaCosta

Aug 11, 2016
Jacked Assassin said:
Saelune said:
You might have to settle for body slamming Jesse Ventura in WWE 2K99!
Preorder now to get a gamble box that might have Jon Stewart!

EDIT
Implied references are about Gianforte who just won an election in Montana.
WHAT?!

How does a man assault a reporter for doing his job and still get elected?

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
T_ConX said:
When I first heard that the next Far Cry was going to involve fighting back against a group of religious extremist militants who have taken over a rural countryside and are executing anyone who doesn't submit to their beliefs, I thought we were going to be fighting ISIS.
You honestly thought that this game is going to have you fight Isis in Montana U.S, wow just wow

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Grouchy Imp said:
Hmm. I feel like Far Cry keeps flirting with the possibility of being a really good survival game, with all the crafting, skill trees, and wild creatures roaming through the open wilderness, but then they go and spoil it by filling it with guns. A Komodo Dragon running at you from the treeline is a terrifying prospect - if you aren't toting enough weaponry to embarrass a small country. Blood Dragon got away with it because the creatures in question were armour-plated and could soak up the damage. Tribal got away with it because your weapons were limited to a variety of pointy sticks. But contemporary, modern-day Far Crys just lose all of the tension of the survival aspect due to the ready availability of beastie insta-killing weaponry.
Sounds like you want to play Monster Hunter instead of Far Cry honestly.

Jacked Assassin said:
I'm now expecting Far Cry 5 to be about Good Christians versus Bad Christians.
I could get behind that.

T_ConX said:
I thought we were going to be fighting ISIS.
Sorry, I'd rather not play Modern Warfare again.

animeprime

Feb 18, 2013
I'm not angry Ubisoft, I'm just disappointed you're using such lazy and outdated stereotypes. Farcry has always been set in "dangerous and exotic lands" but even in Montana civilization has complete control. The American militia movement is a joke and their greatest success was occupying a park ranger station for a few weeks. It also may come as a shock, but Christians REALLY look down on violence and the only serious examples of it were based on stopping abortion, not gaining new followers or saving people against their will. They know the best way to enforce their morals and agenda is not with force but at the ballot box, which surprise, requires a functional government that everyone participates in.

I'm also curious to see how this is going to impact the game mechanics without a total suspension of disbelief. Is this game taking place in the past before cell phones, or has the American government collapsed? Because within twenty four hours of the first shot being fired the feds will know and fill these guys with sniper bullets. Are they holding the whole town hostage and you need to rescue them? That would work for other tactical shooter games but doesn't really feel like a farcry game where you're one guy isolated and on his own.

I really don't have a problem with them picking America and some of our darker elements as a target. Bioshock Infinete did a pretty good job exploring American racism and "Exceptionalism". But I find a giant flying city powered by patriotism more belivible than this "realistic" setting.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
This is honestly how i pretty much see america irl.
Well throw in people in business suits rushing around to do business and SJW types screeching about empathy and compassion whilst having none themselves and bullying you with their buddies, and yeh it's a 100% accurate depiction of how i imagine US to be and why i'm terrified of ever setting foot down there. So missing 2 factions really, maybe in a later reveal?

So i might quite enjoy this game! Even it just reinforces my prejudices :S

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
animeprime said:
doesn't really feel like a farcry game where you're one guy isolated and on his own.
1. That would be awesome. I love that kind of lonely setting in games.
2. Oh yeah, that's NEVER happened with Far Cry. No-

OK, fine. Just that one gam-

BTW, sorry if that sounds more hostile than I intend it to be.