"Get back to your own countries!" Says illiterate woman on tram O_o

Glerken

New member
Dec 18, 2008
1,539
0
0
zehydra said:
pulse2 said:
Rednog said:
Question, how do you know from the video that she is illiterate?
Chavs usually are :D If she was educated in the way I was at least, I'm pretty sure her argument would have far more structure and make more logical sense, using proper reference, possible historical proof. The only thing that made any sense was go back to your fucking countries, you fucking nicafriga, whatever or whoever that is :D
I disagree entirely. A College-level education is a far fly from just being literate.

That being said, I've never met a Chav, but I understand it to be a stereotype.

You're angry that she's stereotyping, and then you fire back with a stereotype?
I'm a little late here, but I'd say there is a pretty big difference between the lady in the video stereotyping immigrants and calling her a chav.

A person is deemed a Chav directly because of their actions, while a minority is stereotyped simply for having different colored skin.

I think at least. I'm American so that's just my understanding of what a chav is.
 

Nannernade

New member
May 18, 2009
1,233
0
0
There's an opinion in between all those f bombs? Could have surprised me lol. I found it funny when she said this place went to hell moment I let you all inta mah country, like she was the all mighty decider of that matter. XD
 

hugh_godolphin

New member
Feb 28, 2010
88
0
0
4 reasons why racism shouldn't be punished with jail:

1- It doesn't work. Where I live (Brazil), Racism has been a crime for twenty years now, and people are just as racist now as they were then.

2- In fact, it might make things even WORSE, because when a person gets arrested she builds resentment and that can aggravate her hatred toward minorities. Not only that, you create a "black market" of racism where people have to express their opinions in secret, and since they are doing something against the law and may go to jail anyway, they might as well start beating up the immigrants too.

3- Like someone said here before, it's a slippery slope - I fully believe the government is not at all interested in ending racism, it's interested in slowly quashing freedom of speech and they start it with something that most people can agree with (racism), but may very well end up becoming restriction of political opinions and even sexual behavior, like in Cuba (where, though illegal, racism is also rampant and even institutionalized)

4- If it's out in the open, the people do the job you want the government to do. Look at Michael Richards. His career ended after he did that racist stunt, and no policeman had to end it, either, the people simply stopped supporting him.

Now, I am in favor of arresting someone who is verbally abusing someone systematically and constantly, but not because of the content of what they're saying, but because it is harassment.

If there was law enforcement in that tram, however, I wouldn't have a problem if they asked her to leave the train.

Oh, and I'm, like, 74% black, so I'm not trying to favor any race or anything.
 

Smokej

New member
Nov 22, 2010
277
0
0
pulse2 said:
That's because it's the first port of call, spain, germany and france all have one thing in common, they don't entertain immigration like we in the UK do. Of course immigrants have to pass through these countries, but in most cases, given the chance, they wouldn't stay there. Their aim is to get here, to the UK, where they can get free housing, job opportunities, free education, free healthcare etc, to them it's the light at the end of the tunnel, or so they are lead to believe, the last couple of years haven't been that peachy for immigrants as we tighten up our borders, which means many immigrants are getting stuck in countries like France, Germany, Spain etc without a means to progress any further, that doesn't mean they are all aiming for the UK, some simply want to be somewhere within Europe that provides a better standard of living that is easiest to reach. Spain and Germany are by far fantastic candidates for that cause, I've been to both countries and loved them. But neither are as forgiving and as accommodating as we are here, which is partially our flaw.
and on what are you basing your assumption that living standards, GDP (per capita), job opportunities, social welfare systems etc. are better in the UK than France, Germany and several other countries?
 

ConstantErasing

New member
Sep 26, 2011
139
0
0
Thus proving that trolling is not a phenomenon exclusive to the internet.

Seriously though, I am not entirely convinced that people should be arrested for expressing racist opinions but in this case where she was stating them in such a violent and aggressive manner for the sole purpose of being offensive I get the feeling that arrest is wholly appropriate.
 

Random berk

New member
Sep 1, 2010
9,636
0
0
How do we know she can't read? Are we just making an educated guess?
I wonder what motivated her to start orating like an small minded, uncharismatic Hitler.
 

Ben Jackson

New member
Apr 5, 2010
68
0
0
Volf99 said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
She doesn't have an interesting opinion. She has a rampantly racist opinion and thinks that countless people who have put more into my country than she ever will should leave based on their skin colour. End of.

Edit: And before they crawl out the woodwork, no, she is not protected by freedom of speech. She deserved to be arrested and the police have every justification to punish her.
hmm... your right, we should punish people who express an unpopular opinion! I mean why let people have the freedom to express themselves?! Outrageous! *sarcasm*

Get serious man, are you really supporting someone being CRIMINALLY charged because they expressed an opinion? Really? I mean really? lol, you know who else punishes people when they express an unpopular opinion? The CCP when people say things that are deemed "criminal" to say.
She was expressing a opinion, but in anti-social ways. You can get arrested for being anti-social in places like train stations, or on trains, well, generally just public transport, and shops. What she was doing was illegal.
If she said "I don't think foreigners should be in our country because..." instead of "These fucking foreigners shouldn't fucking be in our country" it may of been better, due to it being a normal opinion.
 

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
4,009
0
0
I thought for sure that guy right behind her was going to get violent. Good thing someone stopped him.

To be completely honest, I think the only thing stopping this all from getting physical was the fact that she was holding a toddler. I fear for that child.
 

Adam Almond

New member
May 11, 2011
8
0
0
What we don't see is, what set her off? While it doesn't justify what she said, at least it would explain her tirade, and maybe aid in finding a way of dealing with her. The impression I got from the video is that she was more than likely drunk, which, given that she was travelling with a child in arms, overrides the vitriolic abusive rant. She could also just be racist dick, I'll admit.
 

Danny Shackleford

New member
Mar 29, 2011
15
0
0
man, we really need aliens to invade, or even friggin show up and exist. then people being a shade of brown or peachy wont be so scary to everyone you know?
 

pulse2

New member
May 10, 2008
2,932
0
0
Smokej said:
pulse2 said:
That's because it's the first port of call, spain, germany and france all have one thing in common, they don't entertain immigration like we in the UK do. Of course immigrants have to pass through these countries, but in most cases, given the chance, they wouldn't stay there. Their aim is to get here, to the UK, where they can get free housing, job opportunities, free education, free healthcare etc, to them it's the light at the end of the tunnel, or so they are lead to believe, the last couple of years haven't been that peachy for immigrants as we tighten up our borders, which means many immigrants are getting stuck in countries like France, Germany, Spain etc without a means to progress any further, that doesn't mean they are all aiming for the UK, some simply want to be somewhere within Europe that provides a better standard of living that is easiest to reach. Spain and Germany are by far fantastic candidates for that cause, I've been to both countries and loved them. But neither are as forgiving and as accommodating as we are here, which is partially our flaw.
and on what are you basing your assumption that living standards, GDP (per capita), job opportunities, social welfare systems etc. are better in the UK than France, Germany and several other countries?
I didn't say "better", I wouldn't say that because I already know that for everything we do well at, there's a country in Europe that does it better, healthcare in France for example is better than the UK and education for secondary schools is better in Sweden for examples.

My point wasn't which country does it better but which country makes it more accessible to illegal immigrants and new immigrants alike. There's no point going to a country with the best healthcare in the world if you are not entitled to that healthcare when you get there.

Don't know if you have been paying attention to foreign policies, but France is a lot less forgiving of foreigners and their new cultures then we are, what we accept here, they won't accept there. Headscarves for one example are banned in France, which means Muslim women cannot cover their faces in public, they are strict on that, with two women only recently being taken to court over it. Over here muslim women wear headscarves like no one's business. Its gotten to the point where relatively new immigrants are deciding what we eat and how we behave, alas the controversy.

France and Germany in particular weren't particularly happy with the open boarder "European passport works anywhere and once you are in Europe you can go anywhere" regime that we wanted to have in the UK and lets just say that our idea worked against us because immigrants come through these countries and desperately attempt to get to the UK.
 

Adam Almond

New member
May 11, 2011
8
0
0
Danny Shackleford said:
man, we really need aliens to invade, or even friggin show up and exist. then people being a shade of brown or peachy wont be so scary to everyone you know?
"Get back to your own fucking planet! Where you from Abadaba-venus?"
 

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
18,005
2,391
118
Blablahb said:
pulse2 said:
Second of all, I don't know about Netherlands, but we live in a civilized society over here in the UK, that sort of behavior is unacceptable and simply uncalled for, no matter what race you are, what white people getting hauled off for insulting others has to do with this is beyond me
Then how come it's tolerated from some groups, but not from others? Because like I said: if the video was about a deranged Muslim ranting at the women on the tram that they were western whores, no way the police would've bothered to do something about it.

White person says something similarly stupid: The police are out in force to aprehend this terrible offender.
Then you must've not been watching the news in recent time. You would've seen the numerous stories regarding unruly and agressive Moroccan youths disrupting the peace on public transport, and the government's solution to put multiple railway guards on trams and subways.

This isn't about racism, it's about a woman going apeshit among dozens of people trapped in a confined space who have no way of avoiding or ignoring her, and her being apprehended for disturbing the peace.
 

LilithSlave

New member
Sep 1, 2011
2,462
0
0
ConstantErasing said:
Thus proving that trolling is not a phenomenon exclusive to the internet.
Does this mean that all of the people involved in responding to the lady and the video are feeding trolls? Oh, no, I hope this video doesn't get more views than Nyancat. Surely, fate cannot be so cruel that an ordinary racist on a train gets more attention than the glorious cat of glorious cat-ness.:3

Also, maybe I'm crazy, but things like this don't even bother me much anymore. In fact, I can still get pretty annoyed at being surrounded by racism on youtube all of the time. Usually I see people in real life doing ordinary things like an Asian and European couple kissing and youtube commenters going nuts with the racism and making me sick to my stomach and making me weep for the world, that maybe deep down almost everyone is a vicious racist when they're not in public and you give them a computer.

But now that I see typical internet behavior in real life, I just find it funny and I can't take it seriously and get depressed like I do with all the racist internet fights I'm used to. It feels like "hah, so things like this happen in real life, too." And I just see her as a harmless ranter and am reminded of all the times I got literally depressed about my time on the internet being surrounded by racism, and people just told me I need to "grow a thicker skin" and that "they're just strangers".

And now the internet is up in arms in an anti-racist way about some woman on a bus who did nothing other than rile some people up by calling black people not British. Some rather insignificant stranger. Now I don't know what to think about the world.
 

zehydra

New member
Oct 25, 2009
5,033
0
0
Glerken said:
zehydra said:
pulse2 said:
Rednog said:
Question, how do you know from the video that she is illiterate?
Chavs usually are :D If she was educated in the way I was at least, I'm pretty sure her argument would have far more structure and make more logical sense, using proper reference, possible historical proof. The only thing that made any sense was go back to your fucking countries, you fucking nicafriga, whatever or whoever that is :D
I disagree entirely. A College-level education is a far fly from just being literate.

That being said, I've never met a Chav, but I understand it to be a stereotype.

You're angry that she's stereotyping, and then you fire back with a stereotype?
I'm a little late here, but I'd say there is a pretty big difference between the lady in the video stereotyping immigrants and calling her a chav.

A person is deemed a Chav directly because of their actions, while a minority is stereotyped simply for having different colored skin.

I think at least. I'm American so that's just my understanding of what a chav is.
My understanding is that Chav's are like American rednecks. Regardless, it's a stereotype.
 

mega48man

New member
Mar 12, 2009
638
0
0
ugh....really? i thought the common british person didn't give a shit about trivial stuff like race, gender, and nationality, especially a young(ish) woman. was she drunk? i didn't see anything like that in the reports, but in america, people go on tangents like that in public when they're drunk (and i have mel gibson to use as prime evidence).

and i just LOVE how useful youtube and the internet has become. first we were using it to catch abusive cops from occupy demonstrations, and now we're catching idiots who make fools out of themselves! (well we've caught bill o'riley time and time again, but we haven't arrested/killed that idiot yet)
 

Ris

New member
Mar 31, 2011
150
0
0
This might have been pointed out, but I can't see it anywhere:

"As a result, we need anyone who witnessed this incident, or with any information that could assist our investigation - including the identity of the woman - to contact us.

From the BBC article. [http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-15923875] Other articles say that "A 34 year old woman was arrested in connection with a foul mouthed racist rant caught on video".

They made an arrest, but I don't think that necessarily means that it was the drunken ranty woman. Especially when they're appealing for people to identify drunken ranty woman.

The arrest might not have been for verbal assault either, the articles are all too vague to tell.
 
Dec 14, 2009
15,528
0
0
mega48man said:
ugh....really? i thought the common british person didn't give a shit about trivial stuff like race, gender, and nationality, especially a young(ish) woman. was she drunk? i didn't see anything like that in the reports, but in america, people go on tangents like that in public when they're drunk (and i have mel gibson to use as prime evidence).

and i just LOVE how useful youtube and the internet has become. first we were using it to catch abusive cops from occupy demonstrations, and now we're catching idiots who make fools out of themselves! (well we've caught bill o'riley time and time again, but we haven't arrested/killed that idiot yet)
From what I can gather, my generation is split into two groups.

The people who see the world around them, the culture, the issues, and form an opinion based on fairness and objectivity.

And then there's people like the woman in the video.

People who inherited their ignorant, racist and bigotted opinions from their equally ignorant, racist and bigotted parents, who have never formed their own opinion and can barely construct a sentence without sounding like they've only just learned the damn language.


These kind of people.
 

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
5,265
0
0
pulse2 said:
thejackyl said:
Wow...

And I thought America was the worst place when it came to "Go back to your own country".

Personally, Immigration doesn't bother me. Diversity doesn't bother me. The thing that bothers me is when people immigrate and expect that country to bend over backwards to cater to them. If you are going to move(permanently) to a new country, make an effort to learn the new language.

A friend of mine from school moved to Germany, it took him 3 weeks to learn fluent German And I know people who have lived around where I live for 20+ years and haven't even attempted to learn English.

Sorry if any of the above sounded wrong: I'm just a little pissed that I got written up at work because a customer wrote in to the store (in Spanish): "I thought the Cashier (name) was rude because he refused to speak Spanish". I didn't refuse to, I told them politely that I do not speak Spanish.
The reason this sparked so much controversy is because it's not heard often, lol. I like to think that Britain is getting a lot better and more accepting of different races, cultures, sexualities, see these big spark ups as a good thing. For example, the two gay men who got kicked out of a bar for kissing publicly, one little complaint on youtube and hundreds of people turned up the next day, gays and none gays just to prove a point and kissed outside the pub. We look after each other and that's whats important, whether we are from that race, culture or sexuality or not.
So true, i like to think this (even though she is a horrible person) as a good thing, this will be big on the news, it will get out more, just like that thing with the gays (and just to point out, i found that friggin hilarious on the news xD )

It's one of the reasons i do actually love this country, sure our Government is shite, and the chavs and stuff make this place a bit ruff...but generally the British community all look out for one another, probably because we are so small (even if we have 60 million people living here) it's just so compact that we can do this :)