Get Even More Lara Croft with Underworld DLC

Nathan Meunier

Nov 19, 2007
Get Even More Lara Croft with Underworld DLC

The Xbox 360 version of Tomb Raider: Underworld just got a lot sexier.

Xbox 360 players anxiously waiting the launch of Lara Croft's next ample round of adventures in November will have the opportunity to extend the experience later this year with additional downloadable exclusive content only available on Xbox Live Marketplace. Eidos Interactive announced an agreement with Microsoft this week to release two downloadable chapters for Tomb Raider: Underworld, which offer six hours of additional gameplay.

"We are constantly looking at ways to extend our franchises, whilst developing a deeper relationship with our players," said Sean Vesce, general manager for Tomb Raider: Underworld developer Crystal Dynamics, in a news release Monday. "The retail release of any videogame is just the start of the player experience. From there, it all depends where you want to take the player in terms of ideas and innovation."

The first of the two new chapters, Tomb Raider: Underworld - Beneath the Ashes, will pick up the story following the conclusion of the main game and feature new environment, secrets, and adversaries. The second chapter, Tomb Raider: Underworld - Lara's Shadow is expected to introduce a new playable character and a different kind of experience for the series.

Beneath the Ashes will be available for download on Xbox Live Marketplace this Christmas, and Lara's Shadow will launch in early 2009.

Tyrant55

Sep 3, 2008
First Fallout 3, now Tomb Raider. What's up with Microsoft suddenly going after downloadable content for games now? Can't really complain since I have a Xbox 360, but it seems like more of a way to annoy people than making them want to go out and buy a 360.

Spartan Bannana

Apr 27, 2008
Tyrant55 post=7.73408.794600 said:
First Fallout 3, now Tomb Raider. What's up with Microsoft suddenly going after downloadable content for games now? Can't really complain since I have a Xbox 360, but it seems like more of a way to annoy people than making them want to go out and buy a 360.
Money buys content and Microsoft has a lot of that, there fore lots of content, you see?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Now, Fallout 3 downloadable armor for Dogmeat I can understand, it's really important and it's a cool addon.

But makeing downloadable content that increases the actual playtime of the game slash increases the replayability of the game exclusive (IE GTA4, Tomb Raider) does not really make sense (for the developer) nor is it fair for one console to get everything while the other is left for the dust.

Oh well, that's business.

dekkarax

Apr 3, 2008
What really grinds my gears is why it has downloadable content anyway, it should be with the game, not released later for a price. If you've already announced what your DLC is going to be before you even release, you're not making a game to make people happy, you're making a game just for a quick buck

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Xbox 360 players anxiously waiting the launch of Lara Croft's next ample round of adventures
So no one then? Zing! (I kid, I kid)

But yeah, DLC abuse is a bit annoying really. It's gouging customers for money needlessly.