Get SimCity 2000 For Free On PC Right Now!

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Get SimCity 2000 For Free On PC Right Now!

Grab one of the greatest city management simulators of all time for absolutely nothing.

So On The House program [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/simcity], it's yours. For free.

All you need to do is head over to the game's Origin page [https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/buy/simcity-catalog/pc-download/base-game/special-edition] and click the "Get it now" button. You'll then be prompted to log in to your Origin account, after which, the game will be added to your account for free, where it will stay forever. It's the special edition of the game which means it comes with a few more bells and whistles than its original release, and has been updated to work on modern hardware.

This time around though, unlike its prior promotions [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134864-Battlefield-3-Is-Free-For-EAs-On-The-House-Program], EA hasn't specifically stated when the free period on SimCity 2000 will end, so act fast!

Source: Origin [https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/buy/simcity-catalog/pc-download/base-game/special-edition]

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
Any version that doesn't require me to get Origin?

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Aweso-- Requires Origin... Nope.

EA doesn't deserve the money for pre-buyout Maxis games anyway.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Kajin said:
GoG.com, I've had it for years.

Nurb said:

What money? Their giving the game away for free. If you want a non origin copy then go to Gog and stop complaining over nothing.

Sad times when a game given out for free gets such responses.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
Heh... the funny part is this made me go out and buy the game on GoG.
Nothing against Origin, just never installed it and I didn't want to deal with setting up an account, but this made me want to buy Sim City (it was on sale anyway).

Fsyco

Feb 18, 2014
I installed Origin just to try this. I kind of regret this decision. At least I didn't give EA any money.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
RicoADF said:
This news article gets such responses because EA doesn't deserve the bandwidth and memory necessary to download to install Origin in the first place, free game or not. EA won't even get the semblance of my business until they've cleaned up their act and learned how to make games that aren't shovelware.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eh, I was giving up because you had to get an Origin account before it was cool.

Or, as Brian Blessed would say:

I WAS GIVING UP BECAUSE YOU HAD TO GET AN ORIGIN ACCOUNT BEFORE IT WAS COOL! FRESH HORSES, MY HAWKMEN! VAROONIK!

[small](Pasting that into word so as to use the uppercase function, and word knew that it was in bold)[/small]

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
I was pretty excited by this news, seeing as Sim City 2000 is one of my favorite games.
Too bad it requires Origin.

Another time then.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Since I already caved and got Origin for Battlefield 1942, it was a no-brainer to jump at the chance to add this legendary game from my childhood, and without doubt the greatest city building simulator ever made.

So that's two games I have on Origin now, and still not a cent has gone to EA. Just how I like it.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
RicoADF said:
Kajin said:
GoG.com, I've had it for years.

Nurb said:

What money? Their giving the game away for free. If you want a non origin copy then go to Gog and stop complaining over nothing.

\
Its not "sad times" its exactly what they deserve. I feel more indignation when they try to bribe me with games that only remind me how shitty they've become as a publisher. Games that got the formula right but didn't have the graphics to deliver everything it wanted to deliver in one neat package. You buy a game today and you only get half the product you bought and get sold the rest again with DLC and thats assuming you can even play the game with all its rushed development bugs and server crashes for always on DRM that boots you from single player games. OH and lets not forget now its cool just to harass players in game to buy DLC while they're playing the game and "Reminding" them that they can connect to multiplayer to play with their friends. But thats all okay because people that play alone are lonely and stupid so they probably didn't understand they could play online when they saw the multiplayer options under the Single player one. FUCK All that shit. They deserve it.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Kajin said:
This news article gets such responses because EA doesn't deserve the bandwidth and memory necessary to download to install Origin in the first place, free game or not. EA won't even get the semblance of my business until they've cleaned up their act and learned how to make games that aren't shovelware.
Origin works fine for me, that said:

Scorpid said:
I was actually thinking from the perspective of "how bad gaming has gotten for us all to be so cynical over something that's supposed to be good news". It's sad that gaming has gotten that bad that the fun has been taken out by the AAA's.

I'm finding it more enjoyable playing Commander: The Great War and am considering spending $40+ for the physical copy of Panzer Corps series, a price that I rarely am willing to pay for games now adays. AAA is just losing my interest.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Had it for several years now, thanks to GOG.

What I really want is my old hardcopy of the game manual. That was amazing. It was more than just a game manual: it was like philosophical treatise.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
RicoADF said:
Kajin said:
Origin works fine for me, that said:

Scorpid said:
I was actually thinking from the perspective of "how bad gaming has gotten for us all to be so cynical over something that's supposed to be good news". It's sad that gaming has gotten that bad that the fun has been taken out by the AAA's.

I'm finding it more enjoyable playing Commander: The Great War and am considering spending $40+ for the physical copy of Panzer Corps series, a price that I rarely am willing to pay for games now adays. AAA is just losing my interest.
Yeah. >_> I agree with your sentiment. I have sunk more hours into minecraft and Paradox games then any other recent triple AAA release I can think of. They hold me for like 10-20 hours at best while on my CK2 I got like 300 hours sunk in and god knows how much in minecraft... (I don't want to think about it)

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Redlin5 said:
I would rather pay GoG 3 times that games retail value than install Origin on my system and receive it for free.

You can't make me forgive your annexation of one of my favorite developers this way EA.
You do realise when you buy it on GOG they pay EA? GOG don't own the rights and are just a retail outlet.

Chaos James

Bastion of Debauchery
May 27, 2011
Well, I got excited for a moment, but of course it was too good to be true. Maybe the title should be "Get SimCity 2000 for Free on Origin Right Now" instead, since you need that to get it.

I guess if I wanted it bad enough I would just go buy it anyways, no need to install Origin. Never a need for that.