Get the Portal 2 Soundtrack (Legally) Free!

Darzen

Aug 27, 2009
Omg Valve i love you! You don't have to marry me just promise me a 1 night stand!

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Hm, I hope Exile Vilify will be in the next one. I mean, it was made especially for the game and all.

Want You Gone and Cara Mia in Volume III? Please? *shakes fist*

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Thorvan said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3vBKW7nybU and come on, you've gotta love the DK Rap for its awesomehorribleness.
No, no I don't. There is no excuse for the DK Rap. It's one of the few things in this world that goes down from "Just plain bad", straight past "So bad it's good", and all the way to "So bad it's pour bleach down my ears!!!".

OT: I'm actually kind of disappointed with this soundtrack... None of the songs seem worth listening to by themselves, apart from maybe "Turret Wife Serenade". I can see them working as background noise or for atmosphere (which is how I'll experience them when I finally get Portal 2), but I don't think they work as actual music.

Also for added disappointment it doesn't include the ending song, which is the main reason I downloaded it in the first place. I guess I should have paid more attention to the words "SOUNDTRACK VOLUME 1".

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
lunncal said:
OT: I'm actually kind of disappointed with this soundtrack... None of the songs seem worth listening to by themselves, apart from maybe "Turret Wife Serenade". I can see them working as background noise or for atmosphere (which is how I'll experience them when I finally get Portal 2), but I don't think they work as actual music.
As a software developer, I will say that music like this is perfect to code to. The "The Dark Knight" soundtrack, and Nine Inch Nails' "Ghosts" are also very good for that.

de5gravity

Apr 18, 2011
Mahorfeus said:
Hm, I hope Exile Vilify will be in the next one. I mean, it was made especially for the game and all.

Want You Gone and Cara Mia in Volume III? Please? *shakes fist*
That song is AMAZING!

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
teqrevisited said:
Nice to have and a nice gesture aswell, but I can't shake the growing feeling that Valve is secretly Aperture and we are all test subjects working from remote terminals.

There is always a sinister subplot!
Better than them being Abstergo or Umbrella.

Back to the topic, this sort of offer is something that really gets on my good side in terms of music. I love when bands put up a few free songs on their sites for me to legally download, and it almost always ends with me returning to them later because I remember them as the kind artists that gave me a song of theirs to sample.

In other words, I'll more than likely check out parts 2 and 3 (if Valve gets over their little 3 problem they seem to have, otherwise we'll probably see them start up an new album project and have fans waiting for the last one here), even if they aren't free as well.

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
vrbtny said:
Never gonna say no to free stuff....
Cannot argue with that! *Downloads*

Meh....nothing good. Was really hoping for the "want you gone" and "turret song" song.

Ah well.

roguewriter

May 9, 2011
I think this was Insanely cool of Valve to do. It's not like they owed the Fans this in any capacity. Had Portal 2 been an abortion of a game sequel then perhaps, but it was easily one of the best games of the year. Aside from the quality of the game itself, one of it's strongest points was the soundtrack, and now we get it for free. Unreal.

I haven't picked up Portal 2 since I played through it for the 8th time awhile back. I'd almost forgotten how sweet the music was. It's like the whole thing was written by Daft Punk, or at least heavily influenced by them. Awesome, just awesome. Cheers, Valve. You're true mates.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
I never get tired of the music they sneak in with the discouragement beam receptors. I could just see Chell nodding her head to the beat as she headed out of the test chamber.

LeeshaJoy

Jun 22, 2009
Mahorfeus said:
Exile Vilify is available for purchase on iTunes, so it's unlikely they'll give it away for free.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Kysafen said:
Valve: once again proving themselves marginally better than most developers out there, and infinitely better than Square Enix.
Still, that isn't so hard. Valve seems to want to put out a good game that people will like. SE has yet to get the memo

OT: Haven't played Portal 2, because the first one made me motion sick (and I don't wanna play through the game with a puke bucket). Still, this is a nice idea of them.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
valve will always be my favorite developer. they know how to make a good game. soundtrack for free is even better. just i cant get in to the music of this game.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Thorvan said:
lunncal said:
TimeLord said:
Game/film soundtracks are always good!
Donkey Kong 64: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EZMVEDwiHk
To be fair, the ACTUAL soundtrack to DK64 is pretty well composed; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3vBKW7nybU and come on, you've gotta love the DK Rap for its awesomehorribleness.

I've been really loving the ripped tracks that have been popping up on the internet, so having official versions of these is just SQUEE! Thanks Valve, you're the best.
I've always been partial to the term awfulsome as just a mash of awful and awesome.