Get The Witcher 2, Mount & Blade Free During GOG's Fall Sale

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Get The Witcher 2, Mount & Blade Free During GOG's Fall Sale

GOG has launched its Big Fall Sale complete with big discounts and two free games.

We're pretty deep into fall at this point and while this is personally my favorite time of the year, even I'll admit that the high point of this season has pretty much passed. The leaves have either fallen down or stopped looking pretty and the weather has shifted from comfortably cool to chilly and muddy. Luckily, not all of autumn's goodness has been spent just yet. We still have some wonderful, huge discount sales to look forward to, right?

Heck, some of them we don't even have to wait for. Take <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/gog>GOG's newly launched <a href=http://www.gog.com/news/2014_drmfree_big_fall_sale>2014 DRM-Free Big Fall Sale, for instance. Beginning today and lasting for a week, the digital retailer's Fall Sale is offering hefty price cuts on a number of the game's in the site's library. It will likewise feature flash sales that will further discount a roster of rotating titles at regular intervals. Interested customers will also be able to take advantage of daily bundle deals that package together related games for a fraction of their regular price. The sale's opening day, for instance, is being headlined by sales on a new Mount & Blade bundle as well as a collection of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/goodoldreviews/12248-The-History-of-Dungeons-Dragons-in-Video-Game-Pt-1>Dungeons & Dragons games.

Granted, none of these deals probably mean much if you're one of those types who doesn't want to spend any money at all. That being the case, GOG still might have something to grab your interest. For the first 48 hours of the Big Fall Sale, the site will be giving out free copies of the original Mount & Blade. Registered customers are also being given the opportunity to collect seven free stamps that can then be cashed in for a free copy of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/3443-The-Witcher-2-Assassins-of-Kings>The Witcher 2. Claiming a stamp merely requires you to visit GOG and click a button each day of the sale.

Just speaking from personal experience, while The Witcher 2 is obviously a fantastic game to get for free, I'd highly recommend people snag Mount & Blade. While its sequel, Mount & Blade: Warband, introduced some substantial improvements over the original, the first one still delivers some incredibly addictive mass scale medieval combat that's made all the better by the many mods available for it. Put shortly, considering the fact that these games are free and require literally almost no effort to claim, there's not really any good excuse to not head over to GOG, grab them and take a look around.

Source: <a href=http://www.gog.com/news/2014_drmfree_big_fall_sale>GOG

Rosiv

Oct 17, 2012
This is awesome, although i hope The Witcher 1 drops in price to < 5$ during the sale so i can steal it for myself.

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
And I'm all over this like a fat kid on cupcakes. Me and my not-so-little bro are having a heyday with all the free game giveaways recently, especially from GoG. Why are they not more popular than Steam and Origin at this point?

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Witcher 2 is good for free. Played it on the 360 and it didnt live up to the hype at all. But still a good game. Never played Mount & Blade, my brother is obsessed with it. Free is good.

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
So will the Witcher 2 make any sense if I haven't played the first one? Should I buy the first one?

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
I hate being unemployed for game sales seasons.

DaWaffledude said:
So will the Witcher 2 make any sense if I haven't played the first one? Should I buy the first one?
I didn't play the first, I just watched Yahtzee's review. The plot of the game seemed to be its own inherent story not dependent on the first game. Be forewarned, the combat is unforgiving in the beginning, and I don't remember a tutorial.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
newwiseman said:
I hate being unemployed for game sales seasons.

DaWaffledude said:
I didn't play the first, I just watched Yahtzee's review. The plot of the game seemed to be its own inherent story not dependent on the first game. Be forewarned, the combat is unforgiving in the beginning, and I don't remember a tutorial.
Pretty sure they patched one in after people complained about the beginning's difficulty.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
I have Witcher 2 on Xbox 360... I think my computer can finally run this though, so I may double-dip (for free) and get a superior version.

Isalan

Jun 9, 2008
DaWaffledude said:
There's no real carry over between the stories of Witcher 1 and 2 tbh. Main character is the same, but events are entirely seperated save for the fact that your working for the guy you saved at the end of Witcher 1 at the start of Witcher 2.

Honestly, your not missing much in Witcher 1 anyway. Game was good, solid story and characters, combat was a bit of a *****. Witcher 2 is a much more polished piece and, after the extended edition update, its not so ball-achingly hard at the start either.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
I already got both on Steam, so I guess I might as well take the advantage of adding both to my GOG library.

I love M&B, but when I tried the M&B Warband demo I didn't like what they did to mounted combat at. Sure it was OP in the original, and would certainly be a problem in multiplayer, but compared to how abysmal foot combat became when fighting 50+ people all at the same time, it made up for that part of the game.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
altready snagged both on steam during summer sale but if theres a DRM free version ill take that instead. Heard many good things about mount and blade and from what little youtube i saw it felt quite close to Total War games in terms of gameplay. and i like those.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Strazdas said:
altready snagged both on steam during summer sale but if theres a DRM free version ill take that instead.
You can redeem TW1 and TW2 on gog. Just use the serial key you get on steam.

Parshooter

Sep 13, 2009
Already own both but nice to have a more permanent link for Mount and Blade one.

The original Mount and Blade was an ambitious game that deserved more than it got. Warband fixed the main issues and bugs but the main reason I keep going back to mount and blade is the Star Wars mod.

Rosiv

Oct 17, 2012
I messed up the thing yesterday apparently, you suppose to press the + button on each stamp to make it count, does that mean i miss out on The Witcher 2? How many more days does the event run for?

Stomperchomper

Mar 13, 2012
Rosiv said:
I messed up the thing yesterday apparently, you suppose to press the + button on each stamp to make it count, does that mean i miss out on The Witcher 2? How many more days does the event run for?
It ends November 25th, so you should be able to get enough stickers still.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
mad825 said:
Strazdas said:
altready snagged both on steam during summer sale but if theres a DRM free version ill take that instead.
took me a while to find where stema hides it but did it and it worked flawlessly. yay. gogo GOG, they are awesome. now i got two more DRM free games. if i can play without steam ill do that :)

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
mad825 said:
That's good to know. I didn't know it before.

Rosiv said:
It's saying my next sticker is available something like 9 hours after my last. Ostensibly, you have ample time.