Ghost of Sushi Gameplay Reveal

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Jumping is hard on poor old man Kratos' knees.
Dante can jump fine. And I know Dante ain't that old (pushing 40 in DMC5) , and Kratos is actually older. Asura, who is even older than the two, can fucking jump! And there is no platforming in Asura's Wrath.

Last edited:

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
the problem is it that some puzzles are easily solved if Kratos just jumped. But no, he has to push to block in a certain direction so I can buy a pathway so we can climb the ladder. His old jump may have been weird or wooden, but at least it was there. He's a freaking demigod; jumping shouldn't even be much of an issue for him. And I do love the ideas you presented for a launching combo in to a piledriver. Santa Monica should definitely use that.
That inconsistency was there even when he could jump. Kratos could also push over 20-ton statues in the old games, but was halted by a few iron bars. It's the nature of videogames. 'Why am I not allowed to fit through those bars? Why am I not allowed to aim my gun in Bloodborne? Why can I hang on to this ledge, but not that one?'

The thing is, the jump never felt like a true platforming ability, just a way to reach a ledge to pull yourself up. Once the Icarus wings got added things got a bit more interesting, but the jump on its own was barely anything to speak of, and certainly not when it came to combat. The chainblade swings were the most satisfying platforming mechanic of the classic games, and those were pretty scripted.

They do definitely need to make whatever form of non-walking traversal for the sequel more mechanically satisfying though. Make Kratos use his axe as a climbing tool and to slide down a wall or whatever. Or better yet, use the retrieval mechanic for the axe so Kratos can throw it at a ledge and shoot himself to the top. They could make it a combat thing as well, where if you've thrown your axe into an enemy Kratos can battering ram himself into them. One button to retrieve the axe, one button (or maybe hold the retrieve button) to shoot Kratos to whatever the axe is inbedded in.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Platforms barely even matter anymore with even now PS games coming out on PC it's looking like. It's just who do you wanna give you're money to (PC, PS, XBOX) for the few AAA games that are actually worth playing. The problem with the Switch like pretty much any Nintendo console after the SNES is the limited game library. You can't play stuff like Invisible Inc, Outer Wilds, Shadow Tactics, Desperados 3, A Plague Tale, etc. on the Switch. It doesn't take beefy hardware to play any of the most interesting games, though you might like a couple that do require the beefy hardware.
I'll always have a PC, so whether it's Sony or Nintendo, all that matters are the exclusives. So, the limited game library is even more a problem on PlayStation. Prior to the PS3, Sony still had third party exclusives like Metal Gear Solid 3, the Devil May Cry series and Okami, which made a big difference. That's mostly over. Nintendo makes better games than Sony's first/second parties.

Reactions: Yoshi

Nick Calandra

Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist
Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
Love the setting, gameplay looks fine. Lots of people said the same things about Days Gone and I personally really enjoyed that game except for the final bits of it. With Sony I can at least expect a decent story with a gorgeous world to explore.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Lots of people said the same things about Days Gone
The problem with Days Gone was that zombies were already played out by that point. Really played out. I was done with zombie games by 2013. The only exceptions were Killer Is Dead, RE2 & RE3 Remake, and Onechanbara Z2: Chaos. I might check out the World War Z. Looks a thousand better than the poor film adaption of the book. Days Gone looked really generic and not much going on aside from WWZ style zombies. I forgot the game existed unit you mentioned it.

Last edited:

Nick Calandra

Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
The problem with Days Gone was that zombies were already played out by that point, Really played. I was done with zombie games by 2013. The only exceptions were Killer Is Dead, RE2 & RE3 Remake, and Onechanbara Z2: Chaos. I might check out the World War Z. Looks a thousand better than the poor film adaption of the book. Days Gone looked really generic and not much going on aside from WWZ style zombies. I forgot the game existed unit you mentioned it.
Well yea, but if you haven't played it the hordes are super fun and challenging. It's seriously intense taking on some of the larger hordes in that game and you cannot complete them without a plan which a lot of times involves stealthy setting up traps, and planning a route to take so that you don't get overwhelmed.

The story is also actually really good too. Trailers really didn't do that game justice, it's really actually very good.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I don't think I'm ever going to play this. I've enjoyed a ton of samurai cinema, but this still looks so exciting. There just doesn't seem to be anything fun about the gameplay.

Think this is gonna be my last PlayStation too. I haven't gotten anything since Spider-Man last year, which I quit after a few hours. I'm obviously not in Sony's target demographic anymore.

I just love how Yoshi gives it a thumbs up response. Anyways I'm pretty sure I'll eventually get a PS5, but not until there's a cheaper bundle with something that leverages the system's unique features. If the near instant load times pan out, and once we see what developers do with the controllers's programmable sensitive buttons and 3D audio it'll get more interesting.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Well yea, but if you haven't played it the hordes are super fun and challenging. It's seriously intense taking on some of the larger hordes in that game and you cannot complete them without a plan which a lot of times involves stealthy setting up traps, and planning a route to take so that you don't get overwhelmed.

The story is also actually really good too. Trailers really didn't do that game justice, it's really actually very good.
Agreed about the trailers. I'm glad you were able to find something and have fun with it, but I know I won't be playing it. Thanks for the info, regardless.

I just love how Yoshi gives it a thumbs up response.
Yoshi laughed at my first response to @Ezekiel, clearly mocking or "trolling", so go figure.

Anyways I'm pretty sure I'll eventually get a PS5, but not until there's a cheaper bundle with something that leverages the system's unique features. If the near instant load times pan out, and once we see what developers do with the controllers's programmable sensitive buttons and 3D audio it'll get more interesting.
Exactly never buy a console at launch. The pawns go first (Magneto voice).

That inconsistency was there even when he could jump. Kratos could also push over 20-ton statues in the old games, but was halted by a few iron bars. It's the nature of videogames. 'Why am I not allowed to fit through those bars? Why am I not allowed to aim my gun in Bloodborne? Why can I hang on to this ledge, but not that one?'

The thing is, the jump never felt like a true platforming ability, just a way to reach a ledge to pull yourself up. Once the Icarus wings got added things got a bit more interesting, but the jump on its own was barely anything to speak of, and certainly not when it came to combat. The chainblade swings were the most satisfying platforming mechanic of the classic games, and those were pretty scripted.

They do definitely need to make whatever form of non-walking traversal for the sequel more mechanically satisfying though. Make Kratos use his axe as a climbing tool and to slide down a wall or whatever. Or better yet, use the retrieval mechanic for the axe so Kratos can throw it at a ledge and shoot himself to the top. They could make it a combat thing as well, where if you've thrown your axe into an enemy Kratos can battering ram himself into them. One button to retrieve the axe, one button (or maybe hold the retrieve button) to shoot Kratos to whatever the axe is inbedded in.
I played most of the old games, so I am aware of the incosistency. The 4th game makes it all the more noticeable and distracting. I know jumping was not that implemented well in to combat like DMC or Ninja Gaiden, but outright moving it feels lazy.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
I just love how Yoshi gives it a thumbs up response. Anyways I'm pretty sure I'll eventually get a PS5, but not until there's a cheaper bundle with something that leverages the system's unique features. If the near instant load times pan out, and once we see what developers do with the controllers's programmable sensitive buttons and 3D audio it'll get more interesting.
Is that why you gave me a haha? I'm quite serious.

I found the binaural recording in Hellblade and RE2 pretty unconvincing. It still sounded like it was coming from two speakers. It also muddled the sound in RE2 a little. You can test this when listening to the rain in the main menu. I've watched the barbershop demo, but for some reason game developers just aren't as skilled. Seems like most don't even have real sound mixing departments. When I played RE3 a while back, there were more than a few times I could barely understand the dialogue in 5.1 (or was it Atmos?). Especially Nikolai, who sounded badly recorded. Anyway, I think I'll stick with speaker systems and headphone stereo over 3D audio. I know it's mostly being pushed on consoles because of VR, which I'm not interested in anyway.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I'll always have a PC, so whether it's Sony or Nintendo, all that matters are the exclusives. So, the limited game library is even more a problem on PlayStation. Prior to the PS3, Sony still had third party exclusives like Metal Gear Solid 3, the Devil May Cry series and Okami, which made a big difference. That's mostly over. Nintendo makes better games than Sony's first/second parties.
Yeah, due to both console and PC using the same architecture now, games that were PC-only are getting put on consoles and console games are getting put on PC. My current "gaming" PC that I just built runs on only a Ryzen APU so buying a PS5 is more about whether I wanna buy a GPU or a PS5 and I'll probably side with the PS5 just for the convenience factor plus it's far easier to bring with when staying in hotels for work.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Is that why you gave me a haha? I'm quite serious.

I found the binaural recording in Hellblade and RE2 pretty unconvincing. It still sounded like it was coming from two speakers. It also muddled the sound in RE2 a little. You can test this when listening to the rain in the main menu. I've watched the barbershop demo, but for some reason game developers just aren't as skilled. Seems like most don't even have real sound mixing departments. When I played RE3 a while back, there were more than a few times I could barely understand the dialogue in 5.1 (or was it Atmos?). Especially Nikolai, who sounded badly recorded. Anyway, I think I'll stick with speaker systems and headphone stereo over 3D audio. I know it's mostly being pushed on consoles because of VR, which I'm not interested in anyway.
I laughed because Yoshi is being Yoshi wherever possible.

I haven’t really looked into current 3D audio but Tempest Engine apparently aims to go beyond stuff like Atmos. Time will tell.

Anyways on topic, a survey for anyone planning to get the game.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I played most of the old games, so I am aware of the incosistency. The 4th game makes it all the more noticeable and distracting. I know jumping was not that implemented well in to combat like DMC or Ninja Gaiden, but outright moving it feels lazy.
It was no more noticeable than being able to jump over or hang off of some things in the classic games, but not others. You could make the argument that Kratos was dedicated to his quest for vengence and had no need to go wherever the invisible wall prevented him from going, but you could make a similar one for GoW'18. That's typically my way of excusing invisble walls in linear games.
The problem with Days Gone was that zombies were already played out by that point. Really played out. I was done with zombie games by 2013. The only exceptions were Killer Is Dead, RE2 & RE3 Remake, and Onechanbara Z2: Chaos. I might check out the World War Z. Looks a thousand better than the poor film adaption of the book. Days Gone looked really generic and not much going on aside from WWZ style zombies. I forgot the game existed unit you mentioned it.
The bigger problem with Days Gone was that it just wasn't fun to play. The gunplay felt not good, riding your motorcycle felt not good, the characters were.. also not good. Everything just felt one tier below minimally satisfying. I heard they patched it a lot so it apparently plays better now, but I'm not going to re-buy the game to find out. They had their chance and they fumbled it.

Last edited:

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Glad to see I'm not the only one underwhelmed by that trailer, and thinking it was pulling heavily from the new AC games.

I'm playing Odyssey right now, and watching the trailer I'm just like "ok that looks just like AC:Od, ..and yep...that too...and that...holy shit they are yoinking so much from AC!" and then the narrator talked about the armor having different traits that augmented different playstyles and I was just (-_-)

Stopped watching after that. Doubt I'll pick this up anytime soon. Probably like 2 years from now when it's on sale with all the DLC included, and I'm looking for a new open world roamer to play with my wife.

Other than that, totally unimpressed.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
So I gather a lot of the things that people don't like about this game stem from being akin to games I've never touched, which is prolly why it seems fresh to me. Hurray for never being into AC or Days Gone I guess haha.

I do find that I need a generally interesting theme and not just a setting so the AC games just never spoke to me. I was interested on Odyssey on a basic level due to them going back on my own history and seeing it in game form is always fun and I like Pirates so Black Flag also was somewhat interesting for a time but I just never felt myself caring enough to actually play those games when I could play all the other things I was playing at the time.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020

I got it on sale not long ago and didn't have much expectation going in other than it'd already been deemed mediocre by fate itself and the devs made bubsy at some point. Hadn't anticipated how unhinged the voice actor made the protagonist sound during gameplay speak. Kind of wanted to see more of that explored. But on higher difficulty, the stealth/survival loop was somewhat therapeutic time spent. Was pleasantly surprised overall, just not quite blown away like the other exclusives.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I'm going to join in with everyone else in saying that this game looks quite meh. Ok, it looks gorgeous as you would expect, the wind thing is a nice idea and the stealth looks fun. But other than the samurai gimmick, it feels like I've seen this game a million times. It looks like a game I would pick up once it hits about £20 and I'm in need of a new game. At the moment, the new Paper Mario game is more interesting to me.

Having said that, I am a massive hypocrite, if it gets good reviews then I might get it at launch.

Also Sucker Punch, I want a new iNfamous game. I don't know what you would do with it, but then I'm not a video game developer. How about water powers? Or air? Anyway, get to it *clap clap* I command thee.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The bigger problem with Days Gone was that it just wasn't fun to play. The gunplay felt not good, riding your motorcycle felt not good, the characters were.. also not good. Everything just felt one tier below minimally satisfying. I heard they patched it a lot so it apparently plays better now, but I'm not going to re-buy the game to find out. They had their chance and they fumbled it.
Exactly.

Hurray for never being into AC or Days Gone I guess haha.
More or less what I said in a few previous post.

By the way Yoshi, you got a me trophy thanks to your trolling. I hope you are proud of that. I'll take all the free stuff I can get.

Nick Calandra

Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
I got it on sale not long ago and didn't have much expectation going in other than it'd already been deemed mediocre by fate itself and the devs made bubsy at some point. Hadn't anticipated how unhinged the voice actor made the protagonist sound during gameplay speak. Kind of wanted to see more of that explored. But on higher difficulty, the stealth/survival loop was somewhat therapeutic time spent. Was pleasantly surprised overall, just not quite blown away like the other exclusives.
Yea, it was no God of War, but I was quite surprised by it. The world, characters and general plot are all pretty interesting, and I liked the more "focused" story of Deacon looking for Sarah.

Also the music was very good.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Yea, it was no God of War, but I was quite surprised by it. The world, characters and general plot are all pretty interesting, and I liked the more "focused" story of Deacon looking for Sarah.

I did really appreciate that voice actor though. Looked him up out of pure curiosity, Sam Witwer, quite an accomplished performer tbh. Done a fair bit of screen acting in the "nerd" spheres too. And those force unleashed games.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

It seems like the devs were going for Sons of Anarchy + 28 Weeks Later with this game. I definitely want to try it sometime, but not until I really thin out my backlog. I would probably still end up playing Ghosts of Tsushima first anyways, just because Sucker Punch has a good record for fun games and this seems like a passion project for them, which I can respect.