Ghost Recon Wildlands open beta starts tomorrow, PC, PS4, Xb1 (FREE STUF!!)

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Greetings fellow fallopian buds and flowering humancubs, it is nigh time to cast ye judgement on Ubi's next endeavour for any and all who wish to not spend anymore human currency than they absolutely have to. Available to predownload, in case internet connections are not quite the speed of a thousand bear-squirrels on meth. Around about 23-24 gig for those interested.
A little extra info in here;

https://www.vg247.com/2017/02/22/ghost-recon-wildlands-heres-exactly-when-the-open-beta-goes-live-in-your-region-and-whats-in-it/

Is anybody planning on trying it out? And on what platform? Any preconceptions on what quality the final product and experience will be? How easily do you ignore pre-order bonuses?
I should warn you they do have one here linked with the Beta and an eye-rolling introductory video. Do not feel pressured though, sensitive, bald fleshlings, resist pre-order incentives when you can. ;)

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I'll give it a look if my internet will allow me a stable enough connection. But I'll be honest, this has been no where near my radar so I might be pleasantly surprised.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Yeah, same, am not expecting anything mind-blowing. Just a more freedom oriented Ghost recon experience, it has a little interest from enjoying previous Ghost Recon titles, which is why a preview beta is probably going to be a good chance to see how it plays out. :)

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Wildlands plays like Rainbow Six Vegas meets Farcry 4.

So if that sounds appealing, go nuts.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Umm, I have a mild interest in this game, I might give it a shot. the girlfriend isn't around tonight so I'll have a few extra hours to sink into the beta. I'm expecting to have my suspicions confirmed that this isn't the game I'm looking for. It doesn't look much like Ghost Recon... more like The Division in the jungle.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Nice. I have a day off work tomorrow so I think I'll download this and give it a try. Don't know an awful lot about the game other than it's more open world than previous GR games

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
I played the closed beta and now I'm sure I'll be getting it. Hopefully they will optimize it for PC a lot more because it ran like trash.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
JUMBO PALACE said:
Umm, I have a mild interest in this game, I might give it a shot. the girlfriend isn't around tonight so I'll have a few extra hours to sink into the beta. I'm expecting to have my suspicions confirmed that this isn't the game I'm looking for. It doesn't look much like Ghost Recon... more like The Division in the jungle.
The division? Really? I never got that vibe. More like guerrilla style future soldier. The division beta did a good job of telling me how utterly boring it was, so we shall have to see! ;)

Feb 7, 2016
Yep. It sure did start.

And in typical Ubisoft fashion, it's literally unplayable. The servers were down from the beginning.

I guess this is the point of an open beta...but at this point I don't have much faith the full release will fair any better.

chrissx2

Sep 15, 2008
Played it for a while and it's a no-buy for me. Dialougs, character control, physics, vehicles handling (and collision detection), shooting - all that feels very bad.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
After an initial bout of slight motion sickness, I adjusted my FoV a lot (scaled it up to like 60%), toned down my settings to get an even 60 FPS and changed aiming mode to Over the Shoulder and suddenly the game felt a lot better to me. As far as I can tell it plays like Far Cry meets Rainbow Six: Vegas or The Division. It ain't all that bad, but the average Ubi game also does tend to tickle some sweet spot of mine in terms of open world and quick diversionary activities.

I can definitely see why it puts people off, but I am actually considering buying it. Even if I go at it all alone, I could probably get some 40 or 50 hours out of it easily.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
DeliveryGodNoah said:
Yep. It sure did start.

And in typical Ubisoft fashion, it's literally unplayable. The servers were down from the beginning.

I guess this is the point of an open beta...but at this point I don't have much faith the full release will fair any better.
???

Other than maintenance (which bumped us into single player mode instead of co-op) my group hasn't had troubles connecting at all since it started.

Feb 7, 2016
Elijin said:
DeliveryGodNoah said:
Yep. It sure did start.

???

Other than maintenance (which bumped us into single player mode instead of co-op) my group hasn't had troubles connecting at all since it started.
Yeah, I might have spoke too soon. It just so happened that they literally did maintenance just as my friend and I were going to play, and I've been burned by Ubisoft so much in the past that I sort of just expected it.

Prime_Hunter_H01

Dec 20, 2011
The vehicles are shit handling, but other than that it feels like the successor the console versions of GRAW should have gotten. I have not played much of GR Future Soldier but it seems meh, and from what I have heard it is meh.

Its tempting to want to get it on launch as I play it though I may mellow out in the week I have until actual launch. While I can afford it I also have to consider that Horizon Zero Dawn got good reviews, and that I am college student with work to do.

I would say "then there is Persona 5 in April" though luckily I planned for that anyway so paying for that is not an issue.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Okay, after a fair bit of time with it, it does feel quite like I expected. A bit more polish needed, and by Christ don't they remind me how crap they are at writing human characters spoken lines as if they're actual people. Kudos for the voice acting team that gave their best, but they only had to work with what they were given, and in true Ghost Recon fashion, what they were given was absolute disconnected toss.

Other than that, quite fun, relaxing, stealth glands are happy, vehicle physics are still not GTAV worthy...Why is it so bloody difficult, really? Only stuck to single player cos that 4 sync stealth takedown is something that only works when you actually trust some motherfuckers to do it when you need them to. Am loving the varied landscape and open structure, but still needs more detail and polish. Best wait a few patches am feeling for now.

One little annoying niggle; what the hell is wrong with the skin texture and shaping for the female bare right arm/elbow? Mine's tattooed but it still looks really unnatural like some blow up sex doll limb. The face and such all fine, but the arms look like plastic. Why?

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
The AI is thoroughly frustrating. Comrades seem dumb as hell. Died more than a few times to people they wouldn't shoot despite being prone at the enemy's feet. Good luck defending, and storming places with them. I don't expect them to do all the lifting, but I want to not feel alone out there.
Pretty easy to die, and stuff.
Vehicle handling is iffy. especially aircraft.

It takes time to get used to it, I guess.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
I tried the beta for an hour and it was extremely lackluster. The single player missions from Ghost Recon Future Soldier (GRFS) were better than what I played in the beta and you don't have to drive forever to get there either. How is it better gameplay getting a captured ally out of an enemy base better by having to pilot a helicopter (with horrible controls) to the safe house than just leading him to a waiting ally helicopter and showing a cutscene? Why waste the player's time with boring travel? I kept trying to sync multiple targets like GRFS but my guys kept killing the single target only to find you have to improve your 'sync shot' skill to do that.

Oh god, the controls are just horrid across the board. I don't think you can switch shoulders besides for using the clunky as hell cover system. I set the shooting controls to 'over the shoulder' yet if I ADS with a gun, then the next time I aim, the gun aims in ADS initially instead of over the shoulder. And, that cover system is horrible, half the time when I went to aim when attached to cover, my guy would aim at the piece of cover instead of aiming over or around the cover. GRFS controls so much better (innovated the TPS genre even), there's no wasted travel time in a boring world to get to 'content', and you don't have a useless leveling system to get basic skills.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Phoenixmgs said:
I don't think you can switch shoulders besides for using the clunky as hell cover system.
Middle mouse while aiming. I stumbled upon that gem by pure chance on a loading screen, otherwise I still wouldn't know how to do that, since there's no indication in the key mapping that it is doable and it is not spelled out on the lower left like every other weapon related action.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Gethsemani said:
Phoenixmgs said:
I don't think you can switch shoulders besides for using the clunky as hell cover system.
Middle mouse while aiming. I stumbled upon that gem by pure chance on a loading screen, otherwise I still wouldn't know how to do that, since there's no indication in the key mapping that it is doable and it is not spelled out on the lower left like every other weapon related action.
You can't with on PS4 with a controller. The previous Ghost Recon was much more mechanically sound and allowed the player more actions, it doesn't make sense why they'd go way backwards with the new game.