Ghostbusters Trailer - Holy s#!t, how is it this bad?

NoeL

May 14, 2011
frizzlebyte said:
The original Alien is my "wut?" movie. After hearing about how awesome it is for years, finally seeing it was like "You mean THIS is what people are all worked up about? Wut?" :-/
Dude, WUT!? The original Alien is phenomenal! I can only imagine the reason you didn't like it was that you were expecting it to be an action blockbuster like Aliens, when in actuality it's a horror/slasher (and not a god damn sci-fi like so many people miscategorise it as!). Imagine how shocking the chest-burster scene would be if you had no knowledge of it going in. It just comes out of nowhere!

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
To be honest I'm not the biggest fan of the original Ghostbusters. I think its just getting obscene praise now because its being compared to this.

Firstly I don't find the local fat black lady being dumb and black entertaining. I hate to sound like an SJW but this really is one of the biggest stereotypes. The girl who licked the gun is pretty cringe worthy, and the other two women are pretty basic American comedy nerd characters. I just don't think any of them will pull off the character Bill Murray portrayed.

I've been giving American cinema a break recently since it ruined comic book characters, made Starwars popular again and failed to make a film about Egyptian gods good. I am dreading Bamham vs Superman dawn of Batman's machine gun.

Here Comes Tomorrow

Jan 7, 2009
[youtube]http://youtu.be/Egs6RfGenvg[/youtube]

New international trailer.
I am amazed that they put a "falling trying to crowdsurf" joke in 2016.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Something Amyss said:
Being fair to the writers, and I'm giving them a lot of fairness, I don't think McCarthy has any range beyond the roles she's played previously.
I don't know. Having watched her prior to her movie "success," I'ma say she has range. It's hard to say how much, because all we normally get are cookie cutter movie appearances. And I'm not out to defend her as a brilliant actress, but I think she's been pretty heavily typecast.

Plus, almost nothing in the trailer looked good, so it's hard to not blame this either on writing or direction. Someone actually thought her making faces or "The power of pain" were strong decisions.

Oh, and ghost vomit.

If maybe just her presence fell flat, then I think we could blame her. But when everyone sucks, or close to it, it's time to look at the people in control.

I remember watching Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and thinking "you know, some of these actors are really skilled and have a long acting career. That tells me that someone told them to chew the scenery this badly, and thought it was a good decision."

I get a similar vibe out of this trailer. But that could be on whoever made the trailer, too.
Thats true in a lot of ways. But I also subscribe to the idea that an actor with range and talent can rise above the material and direction to put on a good performance. For all the crap people give Nicolas Cage, the man has been able to turn in some amazing performances in some otherwise shit movies. Jeremy Irons managed to take a horribly written and directed film in Dungeons and Dragons and deliver perhaps the best possible camp performance in film history. Its awful but its masterfully awful, the type of awful only a skilled actor could pull off.
If McCarthy were worth her weight (ok that was kind of a cheap shot) in acting, she could rise above the poor direction and writing as presented in the trailers. There's still every chance the movie could be good, but honestly I'm not confident in her or Paul Feig's work in general. I love to give people the benefit of the doubt, and try not to prejudge things but there's so much working against the film that I don't know if it could work out in the end. It may end up being a financial success but I'm seriously doubting the critical aspect will be successful. Not with the honest critics who aren't judging the film by a PC standard.
I don't have anything against female empowerment, and I absolutely support it under the right conditions. This move falls under tokenism in my view, and ultimately harms the idea rather than supports it. The way it was marketed before any material was released has proven to me that the concept is absolutely shallow and harmful to the overall idea. I hope to be proven wrong. Desperately hope.
That theory about McCarthy assumes that the director allows her to act in a certain way. It's pretty typical for a director to say "I want you to tone it down for this scene" or "I want you to ham it up for this scene" etc etc. Regardless of what the actor thinks the scene should call for. Jeremy Irons and The Illustrious Nick Cage probably didn't have a director who told them how to do the role, beyond possibly broad strokes "You're a raging egomaniac with a god complex". And of course, there's always the fact that the actor has zero control over which take survives editing. Maybe she did 2 dozen takes of each of those scenes, and tried a vast range of emotional approaches, but the director decided to go with the take they preferred, not what the actor preferred.

So it's hard to say. I mean, look at the star wars prequel movies. SEVERAL good actors in those films, but they were directed in terrible ways, and thus gave lackluster performances in most cases. An actor can only do so much with a script, and has to work within the confines of the director. And if the director is simply against a particular representation of a character, the actor can either play along, or possibly get replaced.

There are several interviews where actors have expressed regret with certain roles, because of how the character was portrayed, and frequently (not always), they will say something like "Well I though the character should have been like this, but the director had their own vision, so I did it that way."

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Happyninja42 said:
That theory about McCarthy assumes that the director allows her to act in a certain way. It's pretty typical for a director to say "I want you to tone it down for this scene" or "I want you to ham it up for this scene" etc etc. Regardless of what the actor thinks the scene should call for. Jeremy Irons and The Illustrious Nick Cage probably didn't have a director who told them how to do the role, beyond possibly broad strokes "You're a raging egomaniac with a god complex". And of course, there's always the fact that the actor has zero control over which take survives editing. Maybe she did 2 dozen takes of each of those scenes, and tried a vast range of emotional approaches, but the director decided to go with the take they preferred, not what the actor preferred.

So it's hard to say. I mean, look at the star wars prequel movies. SEVERAL good actors in those films, but they were directed in terrible ways, and thus gave lackluster performances in most cases. An actor can only do so much with a script, and has to work within the confines of the director. And if the director is simply against a particular representation of a character, the actor can either play along, or possibly get replaced.

There are several interviews where actors have expressed regret with certain roles, because of how the character was portrayed, and frequently (not always), they will say something like "Well I though the character should have been like this, but the director had their own vision, so I did it that way."
I'd like to give her that much credit but with the way Leslie Jones is defending her character, I'd say that the director is just a shit director all around. I mean granted we've only seen snippets so it could be better than it was presented...

I'm still not sold on McCarthy having any sort of range though. I've seen her in other films and she does not deviate from her typecast, not even a little bit. Its not the mark of a decent actor, and I'm not willing to bet every director she's had was that hands on. She just is rangeless. I've made this comparison before but I like it and I'll keep using it: John Candy was a comedian who happened to be overweight and didn't rely on that for his work. McCarthy is an overweight comedian and her work heavily relies on that aspect. Its shallow and it shows how shallow of a person she really is as far as her work goes.

I do want the movie to be better than it looks from the trailer, I'd hate to see the Ghostbuster's legacy reduced to a tokenist comedy. Kristen Wiig is so much better than that, and I'm feeling the blonde (name escapes me) might be the one who shines as the breakout star. Something about her just says she has range and can make her character work...

Also I found that the veteran actors in the Star Wars prequels really did make the movies a bit more watchable despite Lucas' ineptitude at directing. I feel like Hayden Christenson really could have done so much better with a good director. He wasn't awful, it was just an awfully written character and a shit director with a rookie actor being led astray... I'm trying really hard to not make a Lucas is a Sith and leading Hayden to the dark side like he did Jake Lloyd metaphor... shit I did it anyway.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Richard Gozin-Yu said:
Happyninja42 said:
Something Amyss said:
Being fair to the writers, and I'm giving them a lot of fairness, I don't think McCarthy has any range beyond the roles she's played previously.
I don't know. Having watched her prior to her movie "success," I'ma say she has range. It's hard to say how much, because all we normally get are cookie cutter movie appearances. And I'm not out to defend her as a brilliant actress, but I think she's been pretty heavily typecast.

Plus, almost nothing in the trailer looked good, so it's hard to not blame this either on writing or direction. Someone actually thought her making faces or "The power of pain" were strong decisions.

Oh, and ghost vomit.

If maybe just her presence fell flat, then I think we could blame her. But when everyone sucks, or close to it, it's time to look at the people in control.

I remember watching Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and thinking "you know, some of these actors are really skilled and have a long acting career. That tells me that someone told them to chew the scenery this badly, and thought it was a good decision."

I get a similar vibe out of this trailer. But that could be on whoever made the trailer, too.
snip
snipperoony
I think that at the end of the day, most people just don't really know how movies are made, but they think that they do. They don't think about the editor, or director, or producers making "notes" with the force of god's own word. Not to mention that most people actually seem to have lots of trouble distinguishing between actors, and the roles that actors play.
True, and while I'm nowhere near an expert on the subject, I have seen enough "behind the scenes" kind of interviews with the people who create entertainment, to understand that a lot of it is totally out of their hands. For a great example, look at the Dresden File tv show. Most fans of the books (and people in general), felt the show was terrible, or at the most, not very good. But I've seen enough Q&A's with Jim Butcher, and heard him discuss the production of that show, to know it was basically killed from the start by the producers. They hired a new person last minute to spearhead the project, he came in and said "Yeah, all this work you've been doing to make an overarcing plot? With detailed, intricate narratives, that interweave to tell a large story? Yeah we're not doing any of that. Break it all up, we're doing episodic, people don't want to see a continuous story." "...but, we start filming the first episode in 3 days, and we've put in hundreds of hours of work into this cohesive, well developed story that covers the first two books over the course of the season..." "yeah, don't care, cut it all up, just change the names of people and make them all individual stories. Oh, and I'm also going to send you last minute rewrites from LA last minute of my work day, even though you're in the eastern side of Canada filming, and thus won't get these notices until like 4am your time, and you start shooting in 2 hours. I don't care that this means that an actor who thought he'd get to go home for a few days and see his family has to turn back around, and do a full day of filming on little to no sleep, do it." It was a complete fiasco to hear him talk about it. And that's just 1 tv show, on the Sci Fi channel. So yeah, most movies, it's a miracle they even get completed, much less come out halfway decent. And 99% of that has nothing to do with the actor's input.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Happyninja42 said:
I'd like to give her that much credit but with the way Leslie Jones is defending her character, I'd say that the director is just a shit director all around. I mean granted we've only seen snippets so it could be better than it was presented...

I'm still not sold on McCarthy having any sort of range though. I've seen her in other films and she does not deviate from her typecast, not even a little bit. Its not the mark of a decent actor, and I'm not willing to bet every director she's had was that hands on. She just is rangeless. I've made this comparison before but I like it and I'll keep using it: John Candy was a comedian who happened to be overweight and didn't rely on that for his work. McCarthy is an overweight comedian and her work heavily relies on that aspect. Its shallow and it shows how shallow of a person she really is as far as her work goes.
We're just going to have to disagree on this point I think. I could point to similar typecasted actors, Will Ferrell, Jim Carrey, etc. And 99% of their work, I hate, but then they do something like Stranger Than Fiction, or The Truman Show, and we see they are capable of doing more, if they are given a script not specifically designed to put them in their typecast role I mean, if the only movies you get/are offered, are slapstick comedies, is it any surprise that all of your roles are the same? Hell 99% of the movies in any genre are the same movie, that's why we give them genre titles, as they package a lot of pre-knowledge about what to expect. Chick Flick - It's going to be a romantic comedy, the leading actress is probably going to be a hard working professional, who suddenly ends up with a guy that "just drives her up the wall!", but they end up falling in love. There will be some small, intimate thing she shares with him in an offhand way. He will do something fairly minor, but she will take it out of context, and break it off with him, and leave. And he will have to show up at the finale in a dramatic romantic display, incorporating that thing she mentioned to him offhand, showing he did really care, probably involving a ridiculous, over the top, stupid display. "Gasp! You heard me when I said I always found pink ponies with birthday hats on their heads, while a clown rides one singing Hey Jude was one of my dream moments! You DO CARE about me!!" then they kiss and everyone applauds around them, credits roll.

Physical comedy movies are the same thing. They have a mold to them, a formula, and if that's the only kind of movie you get, then yeah, you're not going to show a lot of range. So I don't hold that stuff against her personally, as I've seen her talk normally, and she's quite witty and funny. I think, if she were given a decent script she could give a really good performance. I'd personally like to see her do a dramatic role, not comedy, but we'll see if that ever happens.

As to Leslie Jones, well I know nothing of her work, as I don't watch SNL, but from people I know who are familiar with her work, they say she's always playing the same character too. Not sure if this is also typecasting, or if she's just not got range. Like I said, I've never seen/heard of her before this trailer, so I can't comment on her abilities.

I do want the movie to be better than it looks from the trailer, I'd hate to see the Ghostbuster's legacy reduced to a tokenist comedy. Kristen Wiig is so much better than that, and I'm feeling the blonde (name escapes me) might be the one who shines as the breakout star. Something about her just says she has range and can make her character work...
I want the movie to be good too, I just don't think it will be, based solely on the trailer. I hope it's a case of "trailers lie", and the movie is much better, but we'll see. As to Kristen Wiig, again, I don't really know her work, so I can't comment on it, but like Leslie Jones, I've heard from people who apparently are familiar with her, and they say she's just doing her regular thing that she always does. So, again *shrugs*. Though I do agree that the blonde engineer is probably going to be the most enjoyable of the group, but since she seems to be the "Vinkman" of the group, she's probably got more leeway to be charming/goofy/smartassy/etc.

Also I found that the veteran actors in the Star Wars prequels really did make the movies a bit more watchable despite Lucas' ineptitude at directing. I feel like Hayden Christenson really could have done so much better with a good director. He wasn't awful, it was just an awfully written character and a shit director with a rookie actor being led astray... I'm trying really hard to not make a Lucas is a Sith and leading Hayden to the dark side like he did Jake Lloyd metaphor... shit I did it anyway.
I dunno, from most sources I've heard, the general opinion is that Hayden is in fact, not a very good actor. That he's just really bland and wooden. Again, haven't seen much of him other than Leapers, and he was....ok in that. The supporting actor, the Irish/Scottish Leaper was WAAAY more engaging in my opinion.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
WinterWyvern said:
I dunno. My memory of the original movie was dumb jokes and humor and good fun with cartoonish characters.
This trailer is dumb jokes and humor and good fun with cartoonish characters.
It's more over the top and they even made the "token" black character a ridiculous stereotype. The original ghostbusters had wise cracking placed within the horror genre. This is just cartoonish silliness. The two are very different in tone.

Again, I can't emphasize enough that I'm not a fan of the series. I liked the first movie but not enough to consider it part of my heritage or something. Just a fun movie I saw in a place once.

Somehow I keep feeling the fact it's an all female cast is what caused such an outrage and a wish - yes, a sadistic WISH - of people to see this movie fail before even the first trailer was released.
And why shouldn't there be outrage over a sexist decision to only hire people of a specific sex/race/whatever for the purpose of intentional discrimination? The movie should have been made more diverse with male and female characters, not just gender flipping for novelty sake with a blatant disregard for the fact that they are engaging in overt sexual discrimination.

Look, people still get mad when it's an all male cast too. Pretending like people don't have a right to be upset at sexist business practices just because it isn't happening against the traditional victim is a double standard at best. At least the original Ghostbusters made sense for it to be all females in the context of society at the time the film was made. Firemen were still Fire Men. We know women can do that job now, we didn't know women could/should do that job then.

So yeah, I understand their outrage. Inequality should be scoffed at and disliked wherever we find it. Not half here and half there.

Fun fact, 90% of comedy movies have an all male cast of protagonists but nobody complains. I don't think anyone said "hey, the original Ghostbusters has only male protagonists, it's so pandering it's disgusting".
That's because it was the 90's. People do complain about that trend now. Sensibilities change. Back in the 90's females were not really seen as firemen in the public consciousness (even though women have been firefighters for centuries) and as such Ghostbusters made sense to be all male given its context in time. A non-trivial number of 90s comedies seem to take place in traditionally male environments too. Golf course, corporations, war, etc.

Regardless, what was done in the 90's does not make it justifiable now. The logic you're employing here would have made it okay to own White slaves in the 1880's since Black slaves were allowed in the 1860's. If the practice is wrong it is never justified. Two wrongs not making a right and all that...

This movie could be the step in proving female actresses do NOT need to always play the same roles. If this movie fails, so the possibility of casting female characters in roles that only males get will fail.
We don't think that female actresses have to play the same roles. They do perform in comedies and action flicks and everything else nowadays. There is nothing that needs to "prove" that.

The problem here is that the movie itself looks dumb and over-silly from the trailers. It's really bad when publishers decide to make sexist hiring choices and things still go wrong.

Regardless though, I can't imagine Ghostbusters not turning a significant profit. The name alone is going to draw a crowd and the controversy should draw even more. But if the movie sucks like it looks like it might, then they may make a really good profit on this one and considerably less on subsequent ones (based on Episodes I-III performance in the Star Wars universe).

Here's to hoping that whoever made the trailer was just dumb and decided to insert the stupid humor rather than the better situational humor. Hard to take back the fact they made the black character a stereotype. That's going to be pretty rough to explain considering Winston's role in the original.

Fallow

NSFB
Oct 29, 2014
It was better than I expected it to be, but not good enough to actually watch.
Maybe if I'm bored on a Friday and it's on Netflix I'll watch it. It looks like one of those bland "Adam Sandler comedy or similar" movies that you completely forget about after 20 minutes when the next shiny comes along.

Kanedias

Mar 4, 2016
crimson5pheonix said:
Kanedias said:
crimson5pheonix said:

The first movie was actually very intelligent in that on top of being funny in an actually funny way.
I think that you're confusing intelligent commentary, or subtext, and intelligence. Ghostbusters was a fun, 80's comedy. Most of what it was, was fun, plus those proton packs were the most amazing thing a young kid could imagine at the time. Frankly, that time has passed, and the time of screwball antics and 80's high concept comedies has largely passed. There's a reason that they're doing a reboot, instead of trying to tell a new story after all.
Yes, the reason is that they have no creativity, so they're taking a fun movie and rebooting it into boring with a conceit that guarantees press instead of actually making a good movie.
In my opinion, that's a lazy explanation. These are businesses, and they're doing something that they think will make them the best possible return on their investment. You need to separate that from the fact that you're not the target audience. Naturally, you and people like you are not a necessary element of mass appeal, since you're a niche.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Kanedias said:
crimson5pheonix said:
Kanedias said:
crimson5pheonix said:

The first movie was actually very intelligent in that on top of being funny in an actually funny way.
I think that you're confusing intelligent commentary, or subtext, and intelligence. Ghostbusters was a fun, 80's comedy. Most of what it was, was fun, plus those proton packs were the most amazing thing a young kid could imagine at the time. Frankly, that time has passed, and the time of screwball antics and 80's high concept comedies has largely passed. There's a reason that they're doing a reboot, instead of trying to tell a new story after all.
Yes, the reason is that they have no creativity, so they're taking a fun movie and rebooting it into boring with a conceit that guarantees press instead of actually making a good movie.
In my opinion, that's a lazy explanation. These are businesses, and they're doing something that they think will make them the best possible return on their investment. You need to separate that from the fact that you're not the target audience. Naturally, you and people like you are not a necessary element of mass appeal, since you're a niche.
We'll see if it has mass appeal, the trailer still has worse than a 1 to 3 like/dislike ratio. And you can't argue that there hasn't been plenty of press for the trailer talking up it's all female main cast as well as defending the trailer on the same ground. Fans of the original movie (and there are plenty of them) can see it for what it is, an attempt at a lazy cash grab with a gimmick that guarantees press, and a lot of good press too, no matter how poor the actual movie is. It might make a bunch of money, but it will almost certainly go down as a disposable film and the original will be more popular in syndication.

Kanedias

Mar 4, 2016
crimson5pheonix said:
Kanedias said:
crimson5pheonix said:
Kanedias said:
crimson5pheonix said:

We'll see if it has mass appeal, the trailer still has worse than a 1 to 3 like/dislike ratio. And you can't argue that there hasn't been plenty of press for the trailer talking up it's all female main cast as well as defending the trailer on the same ground. Fans of the original movie (and there are plenty of them) can see it for what it is, an attempt at a lazy cash grab with a gimmick that guarantees press, and a lot of good press too, no matter how poor the actual movie is. It might make a bunch of money, but it will almost certainly go down as a disposable film and the original will be more popular in syndication.
If it makes a bunch of money, then its disposability is really not an issue. Investors don't aim for an instant classic, they aim for a good return. If it's a "bunch of money" then they'll be thrilled, and you'll see a Ghostbusters 2. That's how the business actually works.

If a billion people scream and hate a movie that makes a few hundred million, that movie is a huge success. Especially for a big studio effort that isn't exactly looking to fun small shakycam indie projects with a hope of a giant return, or spending 10 years trying to polish a single masterpiece in hopes that it wills till be relevant when released.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Kanedias said:
crimson5pheonix said:
Kanedias said:
crimson5pheonix said:
Kanedias said:
crimson5pheonix said:

If it makes a bunch of money, then its disposability is really not an issue. Investors don't aim for an instant classic, they aim for a good return. If it's a "bunch of money" then they'll be thrilled, and you'll see a Ghostbusters 2. That's how the business actually works.

If a billion people scream and hate a movie that makes a few hundred million, that movie is a huge success. Especially for a big studio effort that isn't exactly looking to fun small shakycam indie projects with a hope of a giant return, or spending 10 years trying to polish a single masterpiece in hopes that it wills till be relevant when released.
Here's the problem, this thought hinges on the fact that you can piss off the fans if there is large enough appeal. Ghostbusters was a very popular film, meaning it has a very large fanbase. In fact, currently, the trailer has been viewed a bit more than 23 million times and currently ~69% of people dislike it. If 69% of people don't buy a $12 ticket (which I think is the average ticket price in America, could be wrong about that though), they'd be out ~$200,000,000 on just the movie going audience that has seen the trailer. I should mention the movie has a $154 million budget [http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Female-Ghostbusters-Movie-Has-Giant-Budget-71005.html], so they can't afford to lose that much money.

This isn't some low budget cash grab, they're trying to play the Transformers game forgetting that a lot more people saw GB than watched Transformers. They also apparently forgot to make the movie look fun.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Vanilla ISIS said:
maninahat said:
Also, what's with the black character being the one with the "street smarts"? Is this still the 80s?
Watch her stand up and you'll see why she's not playing a scientist:

Good grief! Is this what passes for humor in black communities? That poor audience.

This clip alone is enough to make me not even want to watch the trailer.

Nemmerle

Mar 11, 2016
[HEADING=2]Mod Voice[/HEADING]

Im Lang:
Im Lang said:
You have to love this predictable thread, full of pure internet outrage. "OH MY GOD THIS TRAILER IS THE WORST THING SINCE HITLER OMG OMG I CAN'T EVEN."

I can. Take some deep breaths and grow up.
The first thing you do in the thread is to throw a petty insult at everyone in it. And if they really were behaving like children, one rather questions why you'd choose to share their company in the thread.

Im Lang said:
Poignant, except I didn't walk up to you and do that, I'm not declaring a lack of interest in the topic, but in you, and that is a weak ass way to deflect from the fact that you just didn't read the thread and said something way off base. It's ok, we all make mistakes, it's how we deal with them that defines us; so no points for that either.
And then you double down on the personal comments in an extremely unproductive manner.

There isn't a reasonable excuse for this behaviour that I can think of. So, unless you can convince me that it's constructive, further instances of this pattern shall result in a ban.

Fox12:

Fox12 said:
Um, all I've seen is lukewarm disapproval. If you were looking to be the judgemental dude in the middle of a flame war, you've missed your opportunity. You should have commented on the Conker thread. You'll just have to wait a week for the next controversy. There doesn't seem to be one here.

OT: yeah, this looks bad. The next one will be bad too. Maybe after two failures they'll let the franchise die, instead of beating a dead horse. I'm tired of Hollywood bringing franchises back to life. I'm done. I don't have the spirit for this sort of thing anymore.
The bolded part is tantamount to calling someone a troll. It's fine to note that you don't see the same thing that someone else does, but calling them out like that isn't going to be very helpful.