Ghostbusters Trailer - Holy s#!t, how is it this bad?

VaporWare

Aug 1, 2013
So, going to rattle off some more opinions here since...this discussion exists now, too.

First, the positive: the cast really seems to be into it and enthusiastic. That can mean a lot even with a weak script, or in the face of literally everything else going poorly (see: Raul Julia in Street Fighter).

I'm a bit more neutral on the visuals, but from a strictly technical viewpoint the effects look pretty darn good. Subjectively speaking, I think the ghosts are a bit over-saturated in a way that makes them look less surreal and more outright cartoony.

Less positively, a lot of the designs from the Proton Packs to the Ghosts seem to be very, very 'busy' and distracting, especially on ghosts who are also very bright and high-saturation monochrome. That's ultimately down to taste, and the aesthetic may well make more sense with more context, but for now it just comes off looking like they blew their budget on OTT VFX and costumes, and are hoping the visuals will keep people distracted from any holes in the production.

The script feels /really weak/ so far, based on the jokes, bits and implied plot building that we can see. Theoretically, these were chosen on the basis of being some of the best and most audience attractive beats in the film, especially those chosen for the nostalgia pull where they re-visit bits and jokes from the original. They tend to veer towards the forced, and there's quite a bit of wasted dialog where they seem to just be laughing at their own punchline as if they don't trust the audience to get the joke. This is especially noticeable in the visual gag for the Ecto-1, which is essentially the same gag as in the first film, but with more unnecessary attention smeared all over it.

Beyond that, they seem to be strongly playing up for much more of a shallow, schlocky action-fest about ghosts and gimmicks in contrast to the original which was more of a balancing act between comedy and drama, with less of a focus on gadgets except where they served the story in some fashion (to compare: in the original proton packs and ghost traps exist to provide a mechanism by which ghosts can be contained, and are sometimes used to underscore things like the team being less than perfectly secure in what they were doing, whereas in the remake they have ghost punching gear in all likelihood simply because 'punching ghosts' is rad as hell and makes for a solid action beat).

That's not inherently bad, but it is going to tend to miss the nostalgia pull pretty badly for fans of the original, which stands out more as a problem because of how much they clearly /want/ that nostalgia...to the point that the trailer opens as if it's not sure whether it's going to be a reboot or an inheritance.

It's also going to tend to come off as 'dumber' than the original, which isn't great considering what a think-piece Ghostbusters wasn't.

Some people say you can't judge a film by it's trailer, and that's generally true to a degree. But the trailer can still tell you a lot about a production, and it is very much there to be judged. A trailer is a production's attempt at making a first impression, and they need to make enough of an impression to draw people in to buy tickets. It's /there/ to be judged, hopefully favorably, and if it gives a poor showing that bears saying...usually trailers are deceptive /in favor/ of the film, so if the trailer looks bad what's that tell you? Why were /these/ beats chosen as their best foot forward, and why couldn't they present them as better than mediocre?

As far as the lingering discussion re: 'all female leads' goes, I'll repeat what I've said before: it doesn't matter. It really does not. The only reason it seems to is that they're so bent on marketing the fact that they have an all female leads. This isn't about empowering women, it's about exploiting them for social credit and as a gimmick to stir up attention for the film. On it's own, it's as shallow a premise as 'Ghostbusters, but with CGI talking animals' or 'Ghostbusters, but starring Eddie Murphy as all of them' or even 'Ghostbusters, but with dudes'.

It doesn't actually add or subtract anything substantive. It's just a marketing gimmick, and one that is kind of gross in that it actually requires sexism to function. By leaning on it as they have, they are re-enforcing the idea that this is /remarkable/ instead of something that should be /perfectly normal/ and not worth commenting on. It does not speak well to the likelihood that the production is going to have anything more meritorious to discuss, since they haven't really bothered to do so. Much like the trailer itself: if this is the best thing you can put forth about your film, you're doing something wrong.

I'll close here by saying that I honestly hope they prove me wrong and that it turns out the film is better than it looks so far. I'm a long time fan of the franchise, and I'd love to see it really start growing again.

Suppose we'll see how it lands, won't we?

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
So I'm wondering if Sony has been deleting comments from the YouTube page?

It just seems odd that the dislike/like ratio is nearly 3/1 and yet almost all the comments are absolutely glowing. Everyone, apparently, disliked it but can't wait to see it.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Silentpony said:
So I'm wondering if Sony has been deleting comments from the YouTube page?

It just seems odd that the dislike/like ratio is nearly 3/1 and yet almost all the comments are absolutely glowing. Everyone, apparently, disliked it but can't wait to see it.
I just checked, and you just might be right. I hope, if its true, someone will blow it up on YouTube or something, because deleting comments is never cool.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
shrekfan246 said:
If anyone else ever has kidney stones, I don't recommend a ureteroscopy.)
ack, that is never fun. I'm really sorry to hear that. I remember having a cystoscopy and, in that moment, ruing the fact that I was born with a prostate. Does it get substantially worse when they actually go up your ureters? (sorry if this is inappropriate conversation fodder, I'm just kind of curious).

Silentpony said:
I had to turn it off. It may have gotten better, but after the first 40 or so mins I hadn't laughed. At any of the jokes. I'll save you the pain, so I'll just spoil the jokes. Melissa McCarthy is fat and awkward and falls down. And if that sentence doesn't make you laugh out loud, you won't enjoy the movie.
Ihateregistering1 said:
I thought it was all right. The best part was definitely Jason Statham, who basically played a parody of himself.

However, the movie dragged on WAY too long (it clocked in at 2 hours, which for me is about 20 mins longer than any comedy should be), it had a scene where Melissa McCarthy turns into some sort of kung-fu fighting bad-ass that was so hysterically bad it looked like the scene where the fat black guy does the somersault in "Old School" (except the 'Old School' scene was actually funny), and they tried to spin some sort of romance between McCarthy and McGregor that was less believable than Anakin and Padme.

Also, that movie benefited from being rated R, which I'm assuming 'Ghostbusters' won't be.
Thanks for the feedback. Those were the general vibes I was getting from the trailers, but the reviews just seemed so contradictory to that notion. Potential politics aside, I feel like critics in general have really lowered the bar for comedy reviews because of all the crap they're fed. Anytime something remotely passable comes across their plate they just eat it up. I felt the same way about The Hangover and a few of the Judd Apatow vehicles.

The Arctic Nun

Jun 2, 2010
It's maybe because I don't have much of an emotional connection with the original film but I'm just not getting the crazy hatred for this trailer. Is it the all-female cast? Is it the relatively recent death of Harold Ramis? Is it this reboot culture that we seem to live in now (Mad Max tho')?

To each their own but I just don't get the vitriol for something that seems so...so...average.

I mean, it's a generic comedy film trailer. It's not Satan hiding underneath your granny's nightgown but it's nothing that'll blow your mind either.

5/10: Will be indifferent about again.

Private Custard

Dec 30, 2007
shrekfan246 said:
Yeah, after seeing the like:dislike ratio on the trailer for the new film, I should've known better than to even bother talking about this on the internet.

Even the people who aren't so blinded by their hatred for "feminism" that they went off the rails at the thought of Ghostbusters having a female cast are getting their knee-jerk on because "BUT MY CHILDHOOD".
How about putting aside your pre-conceived ideas as to what people are going to hate, and understand that a lot of us are hating this so vigorously, because it looks absolutely fucking awful. Jokes fall flat, acting looks dreadful, CGI looks ultra-neon and terrible, the theme tune is a mess, the casting is questionable (not sexism, before you moan at me).

I for one, am sick of being told that something is great, over and over again, by the marketing machine. It has to actually show that it's worth my time, money, and praise. Simply shouting in my face repeatedly that it's good, will not succeed in persuading me. I know it's a shocking concept, but I actually like to make my own mind up, not have some suit in Hollywood decide for me.

I think what we're seeing here, is the general populace biting back at the current situation. We're tired of being told what to think. And I'm also tired of having to state that there's no form of 'ist' or 'ism' in my comments, before levelling any sort of valid criticism at every-fucking-thing nowadays.

I'll put my thoughts into words....

It appears to have a lot in common with lying on your back and having smarties poured into your mouth by the bucketload. It's really colourful, and for two seconds, it seems like a good idea, after ten seconds it's really fucking annoying, and after two minutes and thirty-seven seconds, all you want to do is vomit.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Private Custard said:
shrekfan246 said:
Yeah, after seeing the like:dislike ratio on the trailer for the new film, I should've known better than to even bother talking about this on the internet.

Even the people who aren't so blinded by their hatred for "feminism" that they went off the rails at the thought of Ghostbusters having a female cast are getting their knee-jerk on because "BUT MY CHILDHOOD".
How about putting aside your pre-conceived ideas as to what people are going to hate, and understand that a lot of us are hating this so vigorously, because it looks absolutely fucking awful. Jokes fall flat, acting looks dreadful, CGI looks ultra-neon and terrible, the theme tune is a mess, the casting is questionable (not sexism, before you moan at me).
I can read. How about you put aside your highly-aggrieved hyper-defensiveness, because this isn't the only website on the internet that's losing it's shit over this movie.

I for one, am sick of being told that something is great, over and over again, by the marketing machine. It has to actually show that it's worth my time, money, and praise. Simply shouting in my face repeatedly that it's good, will not succeed in persuading me. I know it's a shocking concept, but I actually like to make my own mind up, not have some suit in Hollywood decide for me.

I think what we're seeing here, is the general populace biting back at the current situation. We're tired of being told what to think. And I'm also tired of having to state that there's no form of 'ist' or 'ism' in my comments, before levelling any sort of valid criticism at every-fucking-thing nowadays.
EDIT: Edited for a bit of needless snark.

That's marketing's job. Literally, the only thing they're supposed to do is shout in your face that their product is good, so go spend your money. And the general public? They eat that shit up. Have you ever even looked at a tabloid magazine before? Or even clickbait articles online? Hundreds of people might endlessly complain about it, but they still read it. And they'll continue to read it, because it works.

I'll put my thoughts into words....

It appears to have a lot in common with lying on your back and having smarties poured into your mouth by the bucketload. It's really colourful, and for two seconds, it seems like a good idea, after ten seconds it's really fucking annoying, and after two minutes and thirty-seven seconds, all you want to do is vomit.
I also don't know why you're appearing to both build yourself up as a special snowflake and a spokesperson for "the general populace". I should probably put this at the beginning of my comment, but it's quarter to 6 AM and the only reason I'm awake is because of my kidney stent so fuck it; regardless of how many people might appear to be sharing your opinions or opinions similar to yours, don't presume to speak for them. You are not them. They do not hold the same reasons you do for thinking what they think.

You're also not the only person who "like to make my own mind up". As a matter of fact, what I'm encouraging here is for people to actually come to their own conclusions, because right now there's a hell of a lot of confirmation bias and nostalgia putting the rage blinders over their eyes. If that ain't the case for you, congrats, you're not one of the people I was talking about!

EDIT: You know, I wouldn't be surprised if you feel the compulsion to respond to this like I did, considering that's the point of an internet forum, but in an attempt to save everyone time I'm just going to state right now that I'm done paying attention to this thread.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
That was not what I was expecting. Hard to say if that's a good thing. Doesn't feel that way.

I wouldn't call the token sassy black chick racist, yet. Heaven help them if there is even one scene of her eating watermelon and/or fried chicken. Apparently that's considered racist, as an Aussie I don't know why.

I have no problem the the surmised storyline or the tech they employ. It's been 30 years, the gear is bound to be improved upon. Can't be angry with their equipment without also being angry at the Ghostbusters video game.

The jokes, such as they were, fell flat and felt kind of forced.

Finally is the movies release date; Summer. Not the best bracket to release it in, then again, not the worst.

Prediction; Forgettable.

Private Custard

Dec 30, 2007
shrekfan246 said:
Probably best to stop monitoring this thread, and anything else GB related. I mean, it's a waste of your time anyway, seeing as you're so right about everything. Anything less than total agreement would just be an insult eh!

One more thing though,

shrekfan246 said:
don't presume to speak for them
shrekfan246 said:
So, even if I'm not sexist, my opinion is still invalid? Something about glass houses and stones springs to mind. Anyway, seeing as we're done, all I can do is wish you the best with your health, and I hope you enjoy the movie. One thing's for sure, you may have a bit of room to spread yourself out in the theatre!

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I dunno, the trailer probably sold a ticket to me at least. Then again, I don't watch comedies, so it could be, well...

You know how game reviews will start calling out formulaic stuff after awhile, like "open-world sandbox" games or "yet another spenkgargleweewe shooter", but to someone who doesn't play two new games a week they seem pretty good?

I'm fully aware it could be something like that. At least in this trailer, they gave all the Ghostbusters speaking lines. Honestly, watching the trailer for the original (and doing my damndest to suppress the fact I've seen the original several dozen times), it's not that great of a trailer. Gives away plot points, context-less dick joke, tries to entirely cut out Ernie Hudson, and I honestly couldn't tell you if those jokes fall flat if you haven't got the scene memorized.

It's just, you know, an SNL cast throwing technobabble and one-liners at each other.

lionsprey

Sep 20, 2010
i mean it doesn't look THAT bad, sure the black woman is acting like every black woman in movies to the point im surprised there hasn't been a big racist thing going around. and not a single thing in the trailer made me even smile. but the effects look pretty neat and the actresses are putting energy in it. i might watch it when it comes out on dvd or netflix but i'm not buying a cinema ticket for it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
What I do know about Star Trek is that it seems a bit easier to pass the torch onto others with that franchise.
I thought we were talking reboots/remakes. They remade TOS with Chris Pine as Kirk, Zachary Quinto as Spock, and Judge Dredd as Bones. Oh, and Harold from Harold and Kumar is Sulu. Let's not pretend this is the same thing as TNG.

And the latest trailer was cut to "Sabotage." In fact, this may be the closest I can come to the reaction to Ghostbusters, and it's still sitting at almost a 75% like ratio.

And the last movie literally cured death and made starship exploration unnecessary.

Amazng Spider-Man 2 got less bile than this, despite being one of the largest franchises around. ASM 1's trailer got something like 80% likes, and ASM2 got over 90% likes.

People freaked out less over the new Fantastic 4 movie. And you can argue that doesn't go to the basis of cult appeal like Ghostbusters, but it absolutely goes to this so-called response to remakes and reboots.

I can't really condemn the outcry, because I generally share the same pissed off sentiments. I'm not going to blame it on feminism, tweet death threats, or even lose any sleep over it, but there is a part of me that is kind of enjoying the bile this trailer is receiving. Shameful as that might be to admit.
You share the same sentiments, except you then go on to demonstrate you don't. There was a temper tantrum the minute girls were announced for the cast. The women are still being blamed, or the people behind the movie for being "PC" or whatever the current snarl word is. People were upset with the idea of women as the lead cast before any details were out, or a single person had been cast.

Unless it's Back to the Future starring Shia laBeouf as Marty McFly.
Bet it wouldn't receive half the bile of this. Why? Well, pattern recognition mostly.

You know what would cause this level of bile? Replace "Shia LaBeouf" with pretty much any actress in Hollywood today.

It's good that you admit your bias, but I think you're conflating "I hate this trailer" with "this is the culmination of a backlash against reboots/remakes." Because looking at the current landscape, clearly it's not.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Does it even matter how bad it was?

We live in an age where 4 Transformers movies came out when just about everyone felt the first was a complete train wreck. Yet they went to see the films based on nostalgia alone.

It doesn't matter how bad the trailers are for Ghostbusters because the movie is destined to make a huge profit and bring in number 1 in the box office regardless. The greater population doesn't know how to vote with it's wallet.

Having said that...

The trailer completely failed to generate hype. The piano rendition of the theme was great and I'm not against some of the visuals presented in the trailer. I also admit that the girl with the wig scene made me smile as a comedic moment.

The appearance of the ghosts and the equipment are fine I guess. I don't think the ghosts look as good as they did in the original movies but I was expecting that going in. It doesn't make that acceptable but this is how filmaking is done 99% of the time now.

The dialogue completely fails in this trailer. You don't get the sense that they are a unit or that their personalities mesh. This is what made Ghostbusters work and without it the movie fails. It's sad to see such forced comedic timing and dialogue on display here. This feels completely unnatural and tries too hard. There was little to no chemistry between the actors and that kills the fun.

If this turns out to be the only trailer I see on the movie then I won't support it. I mean that as well. I don't trash a movie and then spend money to watch it for the lawls or out of boredom like millions of people seem to do.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Something Amyss said:
I thought we were talking reboots/remakes. They remade TOS with Chris Pine as Kirk, Zachary Quinto as Spock, and Judge Dredd as Bones. Oh, and Harold from Harold and Kumar is Sulu. Let's not pretend this is the same thing as TNG.

And the latest trailer was cut to "Sabotage." In fact, this may be the closest I can come to the reaction to Ghostbusters, and it's still sitting at almost a 75% like ratio.

And the last movie literally cured death and made starship exploration unnecessary.
What I meant was, Star Trek in general has a higher succes rate when it comes to different people carrying on the franchise. Ghostbusters really just has the first movie. I think people would be a lot more hesitant when they hear 'new Ghostbusters movie' than when they hear 'new Star Trek movie'.

You share the same sentiments, except you then go on to demonstrate you don't. There was a temper tantrum the minute girls were announced for the cast. The women are still being blamed, or the people behind the movie for being "PC" or whatever the current snarl word is. People were upset with the idea of women as the lead cast before any details were out, or a single person had been cast.
I can only speak for myself here, but I remember first hearing that announcement and just being a tad puzzled by it. It was the idea behind it seeming like just being a pallete swap, and judging from the trailer that is probably the case. For me it had nothing to do with the gender of the team (I think). I'd compare it to having the established Ghostbusters suddenly walking around with beards. I have nothing against beards or characters having beards, but they didn't use to have beards and now they suddenly do.

Maybe if they shook up the team dynamic, but I have yet to see that, or even just the quantity. Have it be just two characters going after ghosts or five. Don't have it be four people who catch ghosts (again), one of whom is black (again)... but now they're women. At least make one of them Asian or something.

Bet it wouldn't receive half the bile of this. Why? Well, pattern recognition mostly.

You know what would cause this level of bile? Replace "Shia LaBeouf" with pretty much any actress in Hollywood today.

It's good that you admit your bias, but I think you're conflating "I hate this trailer" with "this is the culmination of a backlash against reboots/remakes." Because looking at the current landscape, clearly it's not.
No doubt there's a fair amount of people whose reaction amounts to little more than 'Women suck. Keep 'm out of my movies', but I doubt that's the majority of the negative response. Everything is probably feeding off eachother at this point though.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Zeconte said:
As far as I'm concerned, the plot to the original Ghostbusters was ridiculous and cheesy, and Bill Murry was the only reason the movie managed to actually work, and man did he fucking make it work.
Not even Ramis' deadpan snark?

Ghostbusters 2 was the better movie as far as I was concerned, what with the asshole trying to get them shut down and Mecha Lady Liberty, it just felt like a far superior plot to the magical temple living in the fridge, and the cartoon was simply a better format for the premise.
Ghostbusters 2 felt like what Hollywood's been doing for the last 30 years to me. It's one of the codifiers of the "putting the band back together" tropes, and everything needs to be wilder, zanier, and the stakes (technically) higher. Introduce forced conflict (done better in this movie than most), and voila! Soft reboot. Derivative Hollywood ideas 101.

It was still a fun and enjoyable movie, but I'd rather have the original cast snark through a plot about a Lovecraftian horror than that.

I liked the cartoon. And the oft-forgotten comics. NOW had some good ones (and a few really bad ones), and I've liked what I've read of the new IDW line. I actually like that they're continuing the plot of the two movies.

But most of all, what needs to be realized is that Ghostbusters was NEVER something meant to be taken seriously.
Well, yes, but what needs to be understood is that people come to identify the things they liked as extensions of themselves, especially if it comes from their formative years. Grew up on something, it's part of your identity. Worse, you start to filter it in such a fashion that makes it more conducive to your ideas. And that's why people start taking it as a personal affront. Not only is it part of their cultural identity, but they have invested an amount of energy in this idea of what it really is. Anything less than what caters to their ideas of what it is is unacceptable.

It's not trying to be some epic revision of an original masterpiece, it's simply trying to be a modern take on what the original was, and the trailer very much demonstrated that it is, in fact, a Ghostbusters movie, and there's no reason to doubt it's at the very least on par with the original source material.
If Wiig is as boring as she looks, and McCarthy is as McCarthy as she looks, I disagree that it'll be on par. A good chunk of what made Ghostbusters what it was was the chemistry. Will we see that? Maybe. But this trailer doesn't make me think "on par."

You know what was a movie that gave me that impression? Evolution. Evolution even managed to look dumb and childish, but still got me to the theaters.

Do you know how screwed up it is that a trailer with anal jokes and Stiffler is the positive side of this equation?
Granted, that was the only full trailer I could find. It was not the one that sold me.

I don't know, I guess part of my point is that I don't need it to be serious for me to enjoy it. Evolution was stupid fun, but it really felt like a Ghostbusters movie. I can't even say Ivan Reitman was the difference, because Reitman's involved here. If they took out Ecto-1 and Slimer, and took the name off this, I couldn't likely tell you it was Ghostbusters.

Well...not from the trailer. I admit, it could be a shit trailer. Which is why I'm not one of those people declaring the movie is going to suck.

Robert B. Marks

Jun 10, 2008
I did a Garwulf's Corner on this, and now that I've seen the trailer twice, well...

I really want to like this a lot more than I do. Frankly, I've got some problems with it.

(Important, though, to keep in mind that this is only a couple of minutes of a full feature film, AND it's trying to ride the nostalgia train for everything it's worth...so this may not be representative of the finished product in the slightest.)

My problems are twofold:

1. Ghost vomit. Not that the original didn't have gross out or low humour (think Slimer and the ghost blowjob), but extended projectile ghost vomit isn't frightening, shocking, or funny. It just seemed excessive.

2. This trailer really felt like the bad Hollywood joke of "It's Ghostbusters, but with WOMEN!" With the exception of one scene (I believe with Kristen Wiig), there wasn't really a moment where the three scientists didn't feel like gender flipped versions of the original characters. And, the "sassy black woman" felt like a characterization right out of Scary Movie (keeping in mind that in the original Winston may have not been a scientist, but he WAS the straight man, and a fully fleshed out character - not a cliche). In the end, I don't care what the sex or colour of any of the characters are, I just don't want them to be retreads or cliches - or, in short, if you're going to give us new Ghostbusters, then give us NEW Ghostbusters.

All that said, there were a couple of things that I liked:

1. I liked the ghost possession idea. It's a neat spin, and I hope that they go somewhere interesting with it.

2. I liked the ghost special effects. The spectral rib cage was quite cool.

Again, though, I think it needs to be stressed that this trailer looked like it was very deliberately riding the nostalgia train, so a lot of these early perceptions may just be a bad trailer. The movie could be very different, and much better.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Pinkilicious said:
It's funny that...you should mention...Reboot...

http://www.legendariummedia.com/2015/06/08/corus-mainframe-rebooting-reboot/
At this point, ReBoot returning is like Half-Life 3 coming out. I'll believe it only when I can visually confirm it with my own eyes. Also not a good sign that there's been no word on it for almost a year.

rcs619" post="18.935426.23548294 said:
Pretty much. The last time I saw this amount of hate and doomsaying was for the Devil May Cry reboot, and it actually turned out to be a pretty good game overall. Easily the 3rd best game in the whole Devil May Cry series, so yeah./quote]

I haven't played a full DMC game since the original, but it was so campy and corny and it was amazing to see people treat it like it was sacred ground.

...my, how times have changed!