Gifted Secret Masons Diary Could Lead to Billions in Lost Nazi Gold

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Yeah. this isn’t the plot line of some Hollywood movie, but it very well could be someday.

Imagine finding all that stuff. I think something like this could even make for a new game. A more contemporary kind of Tomb Raider or perhaps continuing the Uncharted series as Nate’s daughter.

Or seeing as the diary seems to be presented as an “apology” to the Polish people for WW2, maybe it could work best as something different from CD Projekt: Red.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Yeah. this isn’t the plot line of some Hollywood movie, but it very well could be someday.

Imagine finding all that stuff. I think something like this could even make for a new game. A more contemporary kind of Tomb Raider or perhaps continuing the Uncharted series as Nate’s daughter.

Or seeing as the diary seems to be presented as an “apology” to the Polish people for WW2, maybe it could work best as something different from CD Projekt: Red.
I just want to point out, if it's been around 1000 years it's not been as a Masonic lodge. Freemasonry only started recognisably existing about 400 years ago (although obviously professional masonry guilds existed for centuries prior to that).

I also need to point out that these stories of massive Nazi loot emerge every few years, and nothing ever turns up. Last one was a hidden train in a tunnel or something, and then there's the missing amber room, almost certainly gone forever when Koningsburg Castle burnt down.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I just want to point out, if it's been around 1000 years it's not been as a Masonic lodge. Freemasonry only started recognisably existing about 400 years ago (although obviously professional masonry guilds existed for centuries prior to that).

I also need to point out that these stories of massive Nazi loot emerge every few years, and nothing ever turns up. Last one was a hidden train in a tunnel or something, and then there's the missing amber room, almost certainly gone forever when Koningsburg Castle burnt down.
I also wonder how public they’d want to make it if anything was found. Can only imagine the political red tape that would be “created” in the process of *everyone* wanting to get their hands on the loot.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I also wonder how public they’d want to make it if anything was found. Can only imagine the political red tape that would be “created” in the process of *everyone* wanting to get their hands on the loot.
Including the people the Nazis stole the gold from in the first place. People look act like "I found this Nazi gold. I get to keep it" and forgetting people and families who that gold was stolen from still exist and very likely want it back. This isn't treasure from ancient nations that have long since stopped existing, this is still within (barely) living memory. If someone finds a lost roman eagle standard(from one of the lost/missing legions), Rome doesn't exist to ask for it back(Italy might but Rome as a nation has long since fallen into dust).

That Simpsons episode(the flying hellfish) was surprisingly "on the money" during the ending when they had to give the money back.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
People look act like "I found this Nazi gold. I get to keep it"
They're probably going off the precedent of the case Finders & Keepers Inc v. Losers/Weepers LLC, 478 U.S. 186 (1986)

Joking aside, you are correct. I took a case in art law over the summer on a lark and about 40% of the class was how the legal system deals with Nazi art looting. In the words of my professor "We're going to be untangling this mess for at least the next 100 years."

Beleiving in buried treasure is fun, but even if it's real, we likely don't have the best title to the stuff.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
They're probably going off the precedent of the case Finders & Keepers Inc v. Losers/Weepers LLC, 478 U.S. 186 (1986)

Joking aside, you are correct. I took a case in art law over the summer on a lark and about 40% of the class was how the legal system deals with Nazi art looting. In the words of my professor "We're going to be untangling this mess for at least the next 100 years."

Beleiving in buried treasure is fun, but even if it's real, we likely don't have the best title to the stuff.
If one were to local a hypothetical lost pirate treasure, that would be an interesting case. Because you'd have to trace it back to...well, whoever they stole it from and, yeah the lawyers would have fun with that assuming they could.

I mean, you'd have to actually find one, because Pirates didn't normally grab big gobs of gold but rather other cargo they could then sell off or use. If they did somehow get ahold of actual "booty", well, sailors are notoriously good at spending the money on Food, Booze and Sex, because spending long periods on a ship tends to encourage blowing your pay quickly once you reach port. It would be shocking if they had any left to bury. I was in the US Navy for a decade. Most of the guys I worked with couldn't hold onto money very long once we reached land. I suspect it's because they tended to wander right off the ship and into the closest bar/brothel.

But there's always fun "What if?" like Captain Avery and whatever he and his crew did with the Munghul treasure fleet spoils(I'm gonna assume they didn't form a pirate colony in Madagascar, as cool as that would be).

And of course, there's always whatever the hell is in the pit at Oak Island....assuming it's not literally a bunch of water and some debris. Or the worlds most convoluted practical joke.

Last edited:

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
What do you do with gold that's been melted down and there's no provenance other than maybe swastikas stamped on it?

In any case, if you want to find Nazi treasure, a crate full of Sturmgewehrs could sell for a nice price at auction. Or even some Kar98ks with genuine SS markings.

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
What do you do with gold that's been melted down and there's no provenance other than maybe swastikas stamped on it?

In any case, if you want to find Nazi treasure, a crate full of Sturmgewehrs could sell for a nice price at auction. Or even some Kar98ks with genuine SS markings.
You melt it all down and sell it in small amounts because trying to sell Nazi gold with SS markings could likely wind up with lawsuits with claims from looted nations?

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
You melt it all down and sell it in small amounts because trying to sell Nazi gold with SS markings could likely wind up with lawsuits with claims from looted nations?
Funny you mention that, because apparently Swiss banks were caught distributing a lot of NEWLY MINTED GOLD COINS right after WW2. But I'm sure it was just a coincidence.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Generally, you have to prove prior possession to reclaim loot, so gold melted down isn't going back. After that, depends on national law. There's usually a split between the finder and the owner of the land its located on.