Girl playing Pok?mon Go discovers dead body

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Something Amyss said:
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Absolutely my first thought upon reading the threat title. Funny thing, I've caught around 12 Pokemon in my house and have yet to trek in search of... makes me wonder what I'll find at the local Pokecenter (a Baptist church).
I'm sort of curious, now. Does the game operate off a wardriving sort of deal? Running around looking for different signals, or is it location based? Because I get like fifty WiFi sources around here....
I've been running it off my Iphone using the Wifi from home, sitting at my PC periodically checking it and rando Pokemon just show up in my area so I tag 'em and catch 'em. I *could* walk/drive and catch more I guess but I'm being lazy so I can't attest to how it works exactly. I'm relatively certain one can use non-phone Android/Ipod Touch/Ipads to wardrive and catch 'em all.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Well that didn't take long. I was expecting at least a month before a child stumbled across a body this way.
Now wait for phase 2 of Nintendo's sinister plan to lead all the children into warehouse N72 where none return. Days later, their souls will be trapped within Amibos which will serve as the only method of communicating with them, thus selling more consoles from distraught families wanting their loved ones back. "No, really, the crystal onyx is definitely down that creepy dark alley...gotta catch em all!" Oh dear, that phrase does have a disturbing tone to it now.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Bob_McMillan said:
I wish I could play Pokemon Go. But I dont have data and I live in a city where walking around could be dangerous, both actively and passively.
Same. I'm surprised how many people have been ok with players walking around with their phone camera on, pointing it everywhere. I pull that around here I either get my ass kicked or committed.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I've been running it off my Iphone using the Wifi from home, sitting at my PC periodically checking it and rando Pokemon just show up in my area so I tag 'em and catch 'em. I *could* walk/drive and catch more I guess but I'm being lazy so I can't attest to how it works exactly. I'm relatively certain one can use non-phone Android/Ipod Touch/Ipads to wardrive and catch 'em all.
Interesting. My back limits my mobility, so I didn't even pay much attention to this game as I figured it'd require me to travel a lot.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Something Amyss said:
Interesting. My back limits my mobility, so I didn't even pay much attention to this game as I figured it'd require me to travel a lot.
Not far off from you in that respect. I have back issues myself and other than driving have limited mobility. I call it lazy but its really more an effort to avoid pain... I just feel lazy because I used to be so active and walk/bike everywhere even though I had a car. Then a combination of knee injury and progressive degeneration of spinal discs have limited me to my home beyond suffering to keep a passably trimmed lawn.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
EHKOS said:
Bob_McMillan said:
I wish I could play Pokemon Go. But I dont have data and I live in a city where walking around could be dangerous, both actively and passively.
Same. I'm surprised how many people have been ok with players walking around with their phone camera on, pointing it everywhere. I pull that around here I either get my ass kicked or committed.
I believe you can turn off the AR in those situations which also turns off the camera... I could be wrong tho.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Absolutely horrifying.

The plural of Pokemon is still Pokemon, not "Pokemons".

For shame.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
Glongpre said:
I still can't believe they haven't made a Pokemon MMO.
Well there is a reason for that, the people who buy Pok?mon stuff are kids and or adults who grew up with it in some form, who are able to afford a portable gaming device (aka the 3DS) and MMO fans are people who look for depth and maturity in what they're given and will only play on PC (the exact opposite of what Pok?mon is). Since these two audiences are mutually exclusive, trying to bridge both would create something that wouldn't satisfy neither, so it's better this way.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Liljumpman said:
I've actually been thinking about stuff like this and I'm incredibly worried about kids going out walking at the dead of night to catch some of this shit.
Heh. My friend I did this just this past night at 1 AM. We're 24 year old males though.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Kingjackl said:
I'm anxious for the inevitable "my son was hit by a car" stories.
My friends were saying someone already fell off a bridge.

Cap'nPipsqueak

Jul 2, 2016
Scarim Coral said:
My reason (well ok it's not out in the UK, I mean I'm not doing to download it) is that I don't used the wifi on my phone nor do I have the cash to keep the wifi the time (I'm pay as you go).
My reason is that a cellphone should be used for exactly that purpose. Making phone calls. I have a perfectly acceptable computer that can do everything else.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Hypothetically, if a Pokemon Go gym sprang up on your property, or if valuable Pokemon appeared on your private property, would Stand Your Ground laws allow you to shoot people trying to take over your gym and steal your Pokemon?

I mean, you could just say it was dark and the prowler was creeping around your property with a drawn weapon (or a phone which looked like a drawn weapon in the dark).

Also, if Pokemon Go gyms and creatures did start springing up on your property, could you sue Nintendo (or the developer of the Pokemon Go app) for encouraging people to trespass on your property and thus inciting them to break the law and violate your space?

Combining the two hypothetical situations, if you did shoot someone who was creeping around your property at night in search for Pokemon, would Nintendo be a co-defendant, or even the main defendant, since they're the ones who incited people to trespass which caused you to shoot them?

Not that I really care since I barely even know what Pokemon is, but the Pokemon Go app seems quite clever and interesting in theory, but it also seems somewhat irresponsible and not thought out as much as it should be and it does raise some interesting questions and legal quandaries, especially in regards to trespassing laws and the app making Pokemon appear in dangerous places (such as restricted areas or just properties with armed guards or guard dogs that would attack a trespasser).

2HF

May 24, 2011
Cap said:
Scarim Coral said:
My reason (well ok it's not out in the UK, I mean I'm not doing to download it) is that I don't used the wifi on my phone nor do I have the cash to keep the wifi the time (I'm pay as you go).
My reason is that a cellphone should be used for exactly that purpose. Making phone calls. I have a perfectly acceptable computer that can do everything else.
Welcome to 2016, where the word phone is still used but is horribly inaccurate.

These devices so many of us carry are not phones that do other things anymore. They're portable computers that happen to also make phone calls. Call it a smart device if it makes you less crochety about the whole thing. It hasn't been a phone for a very long time.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Not far off from you in that respect. I have back issues myself and other than driving have limited mobility. I call it lazy but its really more an effort to avoid pain... I just feel lazy because I used to be so active and walk/bike everywhere even though I had a car. Then a combination of knee injury and progressive degeneration of spinal discs have limited me to my home beyond suffering to keep a passably trimmed lawn.
Yeah, I don't even have a car, which is probably good. The nerve issues in my back make my foot numb and driving might not be a good idea. Fortunately, there's a PokeStop practically next door and two gyms within walking distance if my spine isn't hurting too much that day. I've got friends who don't have anything nearby, so driving would be a requirement. Or the unthinkable--walking long distances.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Cap said:
Scarim Coral said:
Ditto.

Despite having a smartphone, I only ever used it for phonecall and text message which is also rarely used for that awell (I don't have people to called or text to and to recieve the said call and message too except for messeging my next work time).

Sure I admit I would like to check the internet before going to work or on my break but as I already mention, I don't have the cash for the wifi so I make do with few hours of no internet at work.

I did used to have the phone to played games on it during break like Angry Bird but I got a 3ds now.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Something Amyss said:
Odbarc said:
Pokemon GO feels like a Japanese spy program set to record on foreign soil and tricks children into doing their bidding by zapping pokemon all over the place.
"All I have to do to get a Mew is take pictures of the interior of this nuclear facility? Score!"

(yeah, this wouldn't happen, but reality is no fun)
There was already a news thing about cops having to tell kids not to go in the station.

chocolate pickles

Apr 14, 2011
Jamash said:
Hypothetically, if a Pokemon Go gym sprang up on your property, or if valuable Pokemon appeared on your private property, would Stand Your Ground laws allow you to shoot people trying to take over your gym and steal your Pokemon?

I mean, you could just say it was dark and the prowler was creeping around your property with a drawn weapon (or a phone which looked like a drawn weapon in the dark).

Also, if Pokemon Go gyms and creatures did start springing up on your property, could you sue Nintendo (or the developer of the Pokemon Go app) for encouraging people to trespass on your property and thus inciting them to break the law and violate your space?

Combining the two hypothetical situations, if you did shoot someone who was creeping around your property at night in search for Pokemon, would Nintendo be a co-defendant, or even the main defendant, since they're the ones who incited people to trespass which caused you to shoot them?

Not that I really care since I barely even know what Pokemon is, but the Pokemon Go app seems quite clever and interesting in theory, but it also seems somewhat irresponsible and not thought out as much as it should be and it does raise some interesting questions and legal quandaries, especially in regards to trespassing laws and the app making Pokemon appear in dangerous places (such as restricted areas or just properties with armed guards or guard dogs that would attack a trespasser).
If you break into private property to catch Pokemon, you probably deserve to get shot for your stupidity. Common sense has to prevail in these situations.

False Messiah

Afflicted with DDDS
Jan 29, 2009
chocolate pickles said:
If you break into private property to catch Pokemon, you probably deserve to get shot for your stupidity. Common sense has to prevail in these situations.
In my town there is a gym in the middle of an "off limits" place behind the police station. Either people are climbing fences and breaking in at a police station, or there are a lot of police Go players.