Girl Power in the UK Games Industry

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Girl Power in the UK Games Industry

Women in the UK games industry earn more than their male counterparts according to a market survey.

The survery, counducted by MCV, [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/32964/Women-earn-more-than-men-in-the-UK-games-industry] has found that women earn roughly £2000 more per year than men, and that they are more optimistic about their career prospects, too.

MCV polled 528 industry professionals, and although women made up only 10% of that number, the survey clearly shows that there is an incentive for more talented woman to join the industry.

Nicola Bhalerao, a software engineer at Microsoft studio Rare, and head of the Women in Games Conference, echoed this sentiment, saying, "This is fantastic news. Hopefully it will help attract more women to make great quality games."

Neko Niisan

Nov 28, 2008
This comes from the world that created Lara Croft, Dead or Alive and Rumble Roses...

Surprised? I think not.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Neko Niisan said:
This comes from the world that created Lara Croft, Dead or Alive and Rumble Roses...

Surprised? I think not.
To be fair, Rumble Roses and Dead or Alive are from Japan, and Toby Gard, creator of Lara Croft, has expressed his disappointment at how Eidos used and marketed Lara after creative control was taken away from him.

Raptoricus

Jan 13, 2009
Well this kind of pisses me off, not that I don't think that it's a good idea to encourage more women to go into the gaming industry, but more because it's unfair on the men. I'm doing a computer games development degree at the moment and I'd like to think that everyone would earn the same regardless of gender.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
If it's any consolation, the average salary in the game industry is significantly higher than the national average.

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
What do people think is the reason for this? Positive disrimination to attract more woman in the game industry (I doubt that, actually) or do they generally have higher functions because the game industry jobs with lower salaries are less popular with woman?

Dele

Oct 25, 2008
When men earn more than women it's a bad thing. When the situation is reversed it's "fantastic".

Satki

Dec 29, 2007
Meh... 528 people is too small a sample size IMHO, so if 53 women(10%) wages were averaged, it wouldnt take much for one or two women with really high salaries to raise the calculated wage for women up.

Peace Frog

May 31, 2008
I think that the average wage for women is higher because on average they have to be talented and committed to choose to work in the industry.

Singing Gremlin

Jan 16, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
*attaches fake boobs "lost" overseas*

Can I have my rise now? ;)
I laughed. Obscure old references, woo!

Prolly cos blokes think programming when they want to join the games industry, while women aim for higher up. Or something.

Raptoricus

Jan 13, 2009
kukuku ^^ said:
I think that the average wage for women is higher because on average they have to be talented and committed to choose to work in the industry.
Erm, so you don't have to be talented and commited to get into the industry as a guy? d(*.*)b

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Satki said:
Meh... 528 people is too small a sample size IMHO, so if 53 women(10%) wages were averaged, it wouldnt take much for one or two women with really high salaries to raise the calculated wage for women up.
While you do have a point about a couple of high salaries potentially driving up the average, I'm not sure that 528 is really that small a sample size. Consider that we're talking about the games industry for one country, and a fairly small one at that.

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
Did all the people in the research sample have the same position/occupation? Was the sample representitive? (centred around the question of percieved job prospects) Was there any chance that there was interviewer bias? How do you mesure work satisfaction/outlook?

I make a habbit of not trusting statistics, it's too easy to misinterprate them (if worded properly you can make statistics proove anything).

Mariena

Sep 25, 2008
Wooo! Flower power!

Dele said:
When men earn more than women it's a bad thing. When the situation is reversed it's "fantastic".
Or maybe they earn money, because.. they deserve it and are actually better than what their male counterparts do? Gasp.

I see so few people actually thinking about doing anything or mentioning the fact that on average, women still make less money than their male counterparts for doing the exact same thing. Once it's the other way around (in only a very small and tiny way), the world is suddenly not large enough. Rivers of tears start flowing!

Singing Gremlin

Jan 16, 2008
Mariena said:
Or maybe they earn money, because.. they deserve it and are actually better than what their male counterparts do? Gasp.

I see so few people actually thinking about doing anything or mentioning the fact that on average, women still make less money than their male counterparts for doing the exact same thing. Once it's the other way around (in only a very small and tiny way), the world is suddenly not large enough. Rivers of tears start flowing!
That there is hypocrisy, you realise? You dismiss offhandedly the concept that here women might be earning more than men, then proceed to moan about how we're not paying enough attention to the situation when it's the other way round.

Dele

Oct 25, 2008
Mariena said:
Wooo! Flower power!

Dele said:

Not in my country. Doing various math we can actually conclude that women earn MORE for the exact same thing.

s0denone

Apr 25, 2008
Mariena said:
Wooo! Flower power!

Dele said:

Stop being a blockhead, you silly scoundrel.