Girls and Pity

MoganFreeman

Jan 28, 2009
ace_of_something said:
If you actually man up and ask her out and it starts with "You're a great friend but..."
The sort of person who makes a hug and small talk out to mean something huge and significant isn't going to do that.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Vorpals said:
This is a simple question: What are signs that a girl has pity for you in the "Awww, he's such a loser" way, for whatever reason?

For more details: My situation is these two girls who almost always smile and/or say hi to me all the time, usually with a nice, big, smile. I always say hi back, being the overly-kind person I am. One of them gave me hug for remembering her birthday.

Then I heard that one of them gave a hug to one of the kids that no one in their grade likes for some reason, and my paranoia kicked in, and that's why I'm asking this question.

Today, one of them, the one that hasn't hugged me and the one I'm interested in, also asked me what's up and started leaning on a wall when I said hi to her.

Is this pity, friendliness, or interest?

Edit: This is not the same girl from my other thread.
'You're such a good listener'

This is usually said after you listen to her blab on about the complete **** she's hot for for the last hour all the time secretly thinking 'shut up about that jock and just fuck me instead!'

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
Hm...showing an interest in how you are, leaning against a wall...
How do I put this...you need more data! The above could be genuine *interest* or it could be normal polite friendship. Either way I doubt pity is the predominant emotion here =)

Basically, I would suggest that if you really like her, you ask her out. It is all to easy to drastically over-analyse these sorts of signals and interactions - at *any* age. What's the worst that could happen? If she's not interested in you in that way, you chalk it up to experience and if you make the effort you can go on being friends. It can be done; I am living poof!

If she is interested, then hooray! =D
For all you know, she's fretting over the same thing you are - girls are certainly not immune to getting paranoid over every word or gesture of the boy they're interested in ...

Lastly, not to sound like a stuck record , but I'd have to agree with most of the advice above that is directing you not to worry about it at your age - you have plenty of time!

*breaks out Zimmer frame* =)

AlexiSai

Mar 13, 2009
sure sign : We hug you, laugh with you (a laugh which is slightly forced and sympathetic) but any time spent with you is minimal. If a girl doesnt spend a lot of time around you, doesnt try to invite you to things and doesnt try to be close to you, then shes probably not interested.
However, if shes a shy type and thus wouldnt want to spend time around a guy she likes, then try to analyse her facial expressions and gestures. Does her face light up when she sees you? does she blush? Does she seem a bit uneasy? If its just a friendly interaction, one she uses with other male friends, then it looks like you're the same.

To be honest, if I was in your shoes dude, I'd just try spending more time with her. Stop worrying and just go with the flow.

Chill out! Have fun and act confident, even if your not. Confidence sells, paranoia is a turn off =P

Good luck babe! xx

Meta Like That

Jan 30, 2009
maximilian said:
Unfortunately, the way most girls (especially beautiful ones) are wired is to go for the guys who are most unattainable or do not give them the attention other guys do. This is based on the psychology of masculinity or security. Similarly, by making yourself stand out or appear impervious to their attractive qualities, you're presenting yourself as both a challenge and as unique in your security. If you're fawning, you're going to place yourself at an inherently lower status than her and push yourself into friend territory. The catch is, once you start going out with her you have to drop parts of the "tough guy" thing and support her emotionally. Ah, the complexities of love.

Of course, people will disagree based on a. what girls are like and b. pure disbelief, but read any psychology on attraction and you'll see what I mean. Similarly, it worked for me.

Very rarely do nice guys ever get the girl. I feel happy for you if you prove me wrong.
Same. It's almost depressing how true this is.

Sindre1

Nov 8, 2008
Meta Like That said:
maximilian said:
Unfortunately, the way most girls (especially beautiful ones) are wired is to go for the guys who are most unattainable or do not give them the attention other guys do. This is based on the psychology of masculinity or security. Similarly, by making yourself stand out or appear impervious to their attractive qualities, you're presenting yourself as both a challenge and as unique in your security. If you're fawning, you're going to place yourself at an inherently lower status than her and push yourself into friend territory. The catch is, once you start going out with her you have to drop parts of the "tough guy" thing and support her emotionally. Ah, the complexities of love.

Of course, people will disagree based on a. what girls are like and b. pure disbelief, but read any psychology on attraction and you'll see what I mean. Similarly, it worked for me.

Very rarely do nice guys ever get the girl. I feel happy for you if you prove me wrong.
Same. It's almost depressing how true this is.
Aperantly, they dont like bag guys, they like confidence.
Most bad guys have that, while few nice guys do.

On topic: Its probably friendliness, but can be both of the others. Test the waters ;)

Lord George

Aug 25, 2008
Stand in front of a Bus, if she pushes you out of the way, she obviously likes you. If not well, bus's move quite slowly.

yeah_so_no

Sep 11, 2008
I would never hug a guy a felt sorry for. I only hug my friends.

Also, all you guys talking about how you listen to your female friends complaining about guys while thinking, "Just do ME!" ...yeah, that's why the girl will never be with you. A woman is never going to turn around and magically realize you're The One. You want to be with her, ask her out or accept the friendship as it is.

Tarmon'gaidin

Jan 15, 2009
Vorpals said:
This is a simple question: What are signs that a girl has pity for you in the "Awww, he's such a loser" way, for whatever reason?

For more details: My situation is these two girls who almost always smile and/or say hi to me all the time, usually with a nice, big, smile. I always say hi back, being the overly-kind person I am. One of them gave me hug for remembering her birthday.

Then I heard that one of them gave a hug to one of the kids that no one in their grade likes for some reason, and my paranoia kicked in, and that's why I'm asking this question.

Today, one of them, the one that hasn't hugged me and the one I'm interested in, also asked me what's up and started leaning on a wall when I said hi to her.

Is this pity, friendliness, or interest?

Edit: This is not the same girl from my other thread.
You really shouldn't think to much about stuff like that. You should just ask her out some time. If your really interested in here and you think she likes you.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Vorpals said:
Leaning on a wall? How is that relevant to anything?

traceur_

Feb 19, 2009
Vanilla Gorilla said:
Vorpals said:
RavingPenguin said:
Usually the look she gives you while talking to you. Speaking from experience here. I hate that look.
Can you explain the look, please?
The lips become pursed and the eyebrows form a sort of A shape...

/ \ : Eyebrows
. .?
o

Scrap that, it looks more like surprise... which is probably better... unless she's surprised because you fell out of her cupboard with a video camera.
I don't know why they're always surprised, I'm a skinny white guy what the hell did they expect? me not trying to video tape them while they undress? yeh right.

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
I have a strange feeling you might be over analysing the situation and in doing so second guessing yourself and creating doubts which shoudn't be there.

If they don't like you for who you are (and pity is not a form of endearment) then they aren't worth your time, you're always going to find someone who does like you because you're you. The more you think about the whole 'do they pity me' thing the worse you're going to make it for yourself, just relax and see what happens as time goes on, that way you'll figure out whats happening without being concerned about it.