Girl's Death Linked to Realistic Gun-Shaped Wii Controller

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
okay but WHAT WII light-gun game requirs to shoot yourself? (unless it would be BS2 WII version)

SlingingRobin

Jan 22, 2010
playinthedark said:
SlingingRobin said:
Lim3 said:
Its America's fault for giving the public easy access to firearms.
No, it has nothing to do with that. The parents left a loaded gun on the table, safety off, within the reach of a three year old. Guns don't kill people, people use guns to kill YOU!
I could also say that frying pans don't cook eggs, people cook eggs... I think the point is if you take away the frying pan no one's doing any cooking!

Stupid parents + outdated civil rights concepts = Failure and tragedy.
well, I cant say that you are wrong. I just never want to give up my right to have a boomstick in the household when the Zombie apocalypse happens.

CrafterMan

Aug 3, 2008
Still... they had a loaded pistol near children?

It's so tragic, and the parents failed and should be jailed. /unintentional rhyme

-JB

Nov 28, 2007
piscian said:
HuntrRose said:
Robert0288 said:
ManThatYouFear said:
HuntrRose said:
A weapon shall always be stored with the slide/firing mechanism removed from the weapon proper, and also stored in a different place.

A weapon shall always be stored without any amunition in it.

A weapon shall always be stored securely, out of the reach of others. In a safe, bank box or other place where unauthorized people can't reach it, children or adults alike.

If these rules were followed, alot of accidents, rage shootings and other unfortunate and devastating events would not occur.

Add that all gun owners must be of sound and stable mind (read no loonies) and not have a violent criminal record (preferrably with an expiration date. People can change), and we would all live in a much safer world.
just ban them..

even safer world then.

Woah, don't be screwing with my hobby. Maybe we should ban hot coffee, as neglegent parents have often left drinks lying un-attended giving 3rd degree burns to children who knock stuff over.

Banning serves no purpose, what is needed is enforcement of current laws, and awareness of them and just general fire arms safety knowledge. This is the same knee-jerk reaction we see from politicians after a school shooting that somone blames on Modern Warfare 2 or the newest FPS flavor of the month.
There is a middle ground between the gun wielding maniac laws of the US and a total ban. *points to other countries around the world* Say like scandinavia england or such.

Put simply, to be allowed to purchase a gun, you need to obtain a permit. To obtain a permit for it you need a documented reason for it. That reason can be sport (pistol, rifle) where you also need to be a member of your local pistol and/or rifle club and have completed a basic marksmanship/weapon safety course. To store a weapon at home, you also need a gun cabinet installed. Both the cabinet and the installation of the cabinet needs to be approved by the police before you're allowed to store the weapon at home. Also, you have to store the weapon unloaded and with the firing mechanism removed from the weapon itself, preferably somewhere else in the house. Same goes for ammunition.

Basically, weapons are not needed in todays society, and as such, owning a weapon is not a right, but a privilege you need to earn.
It's simple.

1. Every gun must be registered if you are caught with a gun not registered or stolen you go to jail
2. If you allow a gun to be stolen from you you are fined
3.You must pass intensive psych and IQ tests to be accepted as competent to own a gun.
4. AND these programs are to be paid by a gun tax.

Suck it up and deal with it gun owners before enough people get sick of being shot at for no reason that we do end up banning them altogether.
"I'm sorry your valuables were stolen. What's that? Your pistol for protection was among them? Well, you owe us $150 for being robbed."

Am I the only one who thinks this is a ridiculous idea?

ninjajoeman

Mar 13, 2009
don't fake guns need the orange stuff at the tips... and for that matter aren't real guns far more heavy?

ninjajoeman

Mar 13, 2009
thebobmaster said:
piscian said:
HuntrRose said:
Robert0288 said:
ManThatYouFear said:
HuntrRose said:
A weapon shall always be stored with the slide/firing mechanism removed from the weapon proper, and also stored in a different place.

A weapon shall always be stored securely, out of the reach of others. In a safe, bank box or other place where unauthorized people can't reach it, children or adults alike.

If these rules were followed, alot of accidents, rage shootings and other unfortunate and devastating events would not occur.

Add that all gun owners must be of sound and stable mind (read no loonies) and not have a violent criminal record (preferrably with an expiration date. People can change), and we would all live in a much safer world.
just ban them..

even safer world then.

Woah, don't be screwing with my hobby. Maybe we should ban hot coffee, as neglegent parents have often left drinks lying un-attended giving 3rd degree burns to children who knock stuff over.

Banning serves no purpose, what is needed is enforcement of current laws, and awareness of them and just general fire arms safety knowledge. This is the same knee-jerk reaction we see from politicians after a school shooting that somone blames on Modern Warfare 2 or the newest FPS flavor of the month.
There is a middle ground between the gun wielding maniac laws of the US and a total ban. *points to other countries around the world* Say like scandinavia england or such.

Put simply, to be allowed to purchase a gun, you need to obtain a permit. To obtain a permit for it you need a documented reason for it. That reason can be sport (pistol, rifle) where you also need to be a member of your local pistol and/or rifle club and have completed a basic marksmanship/weapon safety course. To store a weapon at home, you also need a gun cabinet installed. Both the cabinet and the installation of the cabinet needs to be approved by the police before you're allowed to store the weapon at home. Also, you have to store the weapon unloaded and with the firing mechanism removed from the weapon itself, preferably somewhere else in the house. Same goes for ammunition.

Basically, weapons are not needed in todays society, and as such, owning a weapon is not a right, but a privilege you need to earn.
It's simple.

1. Every gun must be registered if you are caught with a gun not registered or stolen you go to jail
3.You must pass intensive psych and IQ tests to be accepted as competent to own a gun.

Suck it up and deal with it gun owners before enough people get sick of being shot at for no reason that we do end up banning them altogether.
"I'm sorry your valuables were stolen. What's that? Your pistol for protection was among them? Well, you owe us $150 for being robbed."

how would they steal a gun from you if its on you at all time or in a gun safe, think about that?

Shapoolaman

Feb 25, 2010
I don't understand why the kid pointed the gun to her head and pulled the trigger in the first place. Who does that? Then there's the whole weight difference and texture difference between the wii remote and real gun. Wouldn't you notice? I guess being three clears you on that one. But still, I just don't understand.

But yeah, the parents are definitely to blame. WHY WAS THE GUN OUT? Stupidity on both sides of the equation, China manufacturers included.

Fr331anc3r

Nov 6, 2008
A. We must realize that there is actually no new information except the name of the child that has been released, and all that has been posted here is a re-imagining of it by Kotaku.

This is tragic in both action and the complete irrationality on the part of the parents, why that gun was still left chambered, with the magazine still in, and unsaftied on a table that was within reach of the girl is beyond me.

EDIT: Most states this can be considered negligent homicide, and I hope both the parents get the full extent of this punishment (Which can be up to 20 years).

Blimey

Nov 10, 2009
No charges? So the fact that both the father and mother are fucking incompetent twat-nuggets means nothing to a judge?

Wow.

HuntrRose

Apr 28, 2009
thebobmaster said:
piscian said:
HuntrRose said:
Robert0288 said:
ManThatYouFear said:
HuntrRose said:

just ban them..

even safer world then.

It's simple.

Change that to $150 fine for not storing your firearm securely, and we are in agreement.

A gun safe is quite solid thing BOLTED to a wall or the floor. Not possible to move or open without serious equipment and noise and destruction. Unless you have the key or combination that is.

Edit: And who the HELL needs a pistol for protection? It's that kind of thinking that ends up getting folks killed in the first place!

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Tommy_Dizzle said:
Also, why wasnt the safety on?
And why was it loaded and ready to fire?
Really something is fishy here, beteen the safety and the fact they should be unloaded when not in use, the parents (whichever owned & used the gun) need to have their hide hit for this one.

Robert0288

Jun 10, 2008
Safeties on firearms are irrelevant, you NEVER keep a gun loaded if your not immidiatly using it. Nowhere in the article does it say what kind of pistol was used, but the only relevent safety would be a hammer lock which prevents the firing pin from making contact or trigger lock which prevents the trigger from moving. Both are extremely easy to engage and disengage. All other gun safeties are irrelevant as they ensure you don't have an accidental discharge, like beavertail grips on the P226 X-Five or most 1911s which ensure you have a hand on the firearm before they can go off.

Raithnor

Jul 26, 2009
piscian said:
It's simple.

3. You must pass intensive psych and IQ tests to be accepted as competent to own a gun.

This sort of thing won't fly in America except in very specific localities.

Here's an insight into the more conservative American mindset: They don't want government to tell them to do anything or take any of their hard-earned money away (God forbid, you give it away to someone else who needs it). They idealize the "business entrepreneur", but make no distinction between a true small business and a global corporate conglomerate. That if you're poor or unemployed it's a reflection of your lack of worth as a human being. They believe that "American Exceptionialism" is and will always be an implicit fact and that you can run a 21st century superpower like an 18th century farming republic.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
There should atleast be some kind of moron test people in America have to go through before they can own a gun. Maybe it might prevent things like this.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
Raithnor said:
They don't want government to tell them to do anything or take any of their hard-earned money away (God forbid, you give it away to someone else who needs it)
1. forced government redistribution of wealth never works in the long run will only stagnate an economy (Cuba,USSR,North Korea)
2. Second Amendment, The right to bear arm shall not be infringed, stops a lot of crimes(Ireland crime rate went up after restricting firearms and still has more stabbing then US has shootings)

this is the fault of the parents not our gun laws

AntiAntagonist

Neither good or bad
Apr 17, 2008
CINN4M0N said:
AboveUp said:
Geez... Anyone investing in that kind of WiiMote add-ons should be questioned.

If the article didn't tell me which gun was real, I would've said it was the lower one.
Me too. Why is the real gun got wires coming out of it?
Not about to read a 7 page thread to see if this is redundant (I apologize in advance). The "wire" is a cable tie. Police insert them through firearms collected as evidence to prevent them from being loaded and mark them as evidence.

If the bottom item were a firearm I doubt the girl could lift it. Note- always laugh at people who think aiming a Desert Eagle in a movie is a trivial task, especially over an extended fight scene.

Flight

Mar 13, 2010
While this makes it more understandable, why was the gun out, and why wasn't the safety on?