Girl's Death Linked to Realistic Gun-Shaped Wii Controller

Austin MacKenzie

Jan 26, 2010
Girl's Death Linked to Realistic Gun-Shaped Wii Controller

We wondered how a real gun was mistaken for a Wii gun, and with new information on the tragic death of a three-year-old girl, that question has been answered.

Yesterday, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98944-Child-Must-Have-Thought-a-Gun-Was-a-Wii-Remote-Mother-Says>The Escapist reported that a young girl had mistaken a gun for a Wii controller. Normally, a Wii controller, even a Wii gun controller, looks nothing like a real gun, but here, that was not the case.

Take a look at the picture here. The gun shown on top is an actual Smith & Wesson semi-automatic pistol. The gun shown on the bottom is a Wii peripheral known as WiiAuto Pistol, a realistic gun-like Wii attachment manufactured by Chinese company <a href=http://www.haihonggames.com/egsjj.htm>HAIHONGCHANG Electronics Company. The peripheral is widely available on eBay, and was in possession of the family.

The girl, identified as Cheyenne Alexis McKeehan, was playing in the living room a few feet away from her mother, who was on the computer. The night before, her step-father had left the gun on an end-table, having thought he heard intruders. Cheyenne, mistaking the real gun for the controller, picked it up and shot herself.

The police have filed no charges, but this does bring the situation into further light. It begs the question, why would you leave an unsecured weapon in reach of your daughter when she is already used to seeing such a thing as a toy? Furthermore, the parents specifically purchased a realistic gun peripheral, and then left a real gun well within reach. This tragedy could have been averted. If nothing else, this will hopefully be a lesson to other gun-owning households on keeping their guns out of reach, especially if their young children view them as toys.

Source: <a href=http://www.wsmv.com/news/22770717/detail.html>WSMV News via <a href=http://kotaku.com/5489137/wii-gun-involved-in-3+year+old-shooting-is-amazingly-lifelike?skyline=true&s=i>Kotaku

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
Geez... Anyone investing in that kind of WiiMote add-ons should be questioned.

If the article didn't tell me which gun was real, I would've said it was the lower one.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Yeah...buying that is asking for trouble. Like...I couldn't tell. I mean, once I had it in my hands, it'd be obvious. Because one would have a Wiimote in it. The parents and grandparents are still complete idiots, unworthy of having a child.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
AboveUp said:

If the article didn't tell me which gun was real, I would've said it was the lower one.
Id buy it, for the simple sake that the wii zapper looks and feels stupid. Still a tragedy, makes a lot more sense now.

Tommy_Dizzle

Apr 7, 2008
guys, i just had a great idea. you know that console where you point at stuff and it does stuff?
well....
how about if the controller was a replica of a real GUN. HOW COOL WOULD THAT LO-

this is where the dude should've been slapped in the face and sent packing. Terrible idea, gents.

Also, why wasnt the safety on?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well that was asking for it...does answer some questions but still...why was the gun out in the first place?

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
She shot herself...
Even if it actually turned out to be a real gun, why would she have shot herself?
Not to mention that video-games are in NO WAY involved (seeing as it was the step-father who left a loaded gun on the nightstand.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
coldalarm said:
I thought all replica guns had to have some form of distinguishing mark on the barrel?
It's from China. It's likely they don't have those kinds of production laws over there.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Ouch :( . What purpose would that peripheral even serve? It's not like there's a plethora of FPS games that let you use a decent pistol. Poor girl, shot herself while trying to play a mediocre-at-best FPS. 'Tis a shame.

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
Austin MacKenzie said:
why would you leave an unsecured weapon in reach of your daughter when she is already used to seeing such a thing as a toy? Furthermore, the parents specifically purchased a realistic gun peripheral, and then left a real gun well within reach.
Why would you leave an unsecured weapon within reach of your daughter at all?
Yeah, there was a lot of adult stupidity going on.

CINN4M0N

Jan 31, 2010
AboveUp said:

Me too. Why is the real gun got wires coming out of it?

Ritual

Oct 13, 2009
What a IDIOT! Who leaves a hand gun on an end table? He should be charged with being a fuckwit!

I don't have an issue with what controllers look like, I do have an issue with brain dead idiots who leave loaded guns lying around the house where kids can play with em.

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
I still don't buy it.

I think that maybe, just maybe, this whole "Wii gun" thing is just a mask to hide what really happened. What if the parents purposely left the gun out, because they knew that the little girl would think it looked like the Wii toy? It could be like a Kaylee Anthony thing, where the parents just got sick of the kid.

I don't know...... Ever since I did my Freshman thesis on the JFK assassination conspiracy, I have been extremely paranoid about everything. So I am probably just over-thinking it.

[sub] No, this was not meant as some sick joke, I am just really paranoid about everything. [/sub]

nagi

Mar 20, 2009
CINN4M0N said:
AboveUp said:

It's not a wire but a plastic strap. I'm not in the force, but two guesses would be: hanging/handling the evidence without touching it directly and/or showing that it has been emptied.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Why would you buy that add-on? Especially a mother of a three-year-old!

But it took me a while to see which gun was real and which was fake...

Tomster595

Aug 1, 2009
Jeez, when I first heard of this story I thought it was another dumb parent blaming games. Now that I see them controller I can see that it's actually valid. That peripheral should not be legal.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
nagi said:
CINN4M0N said:
AboveUp said:

It's not a wire but a plastic strap. I'm not in the force, but two guesses would be: hanging/handling the evidence without touching it directly and/or showing that it has been emptied.
Yeah, that'd be my guess - run a cord through the empty grip and chamber to show it is completely devoid of bullets and cannot be fired.