Girl's Death Linked to Realistic Gun-Shaped Wii Controller

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
I had a light-gun for the Dreamcast; it was undeniably white. The Wii's normal gun peripheral is also a blatant white. There's good reasoning behind this.

And once again, the father needs a lesson or two on firearms safety.

Nicarus

Feb 15, 2010
Epitome said:
Austin MacKenzie said:
The police have filed no charges
Your kidding me!!? What is wrong with them this is still the parents fault? Its criminal negligence at the very least!? What kind of parnet leaves a loaded unsecured weapon lying on the table with an infant in the house? This accident was completely avoidable and the mother "getting off the hook" because it looked like a wii remote is unbelieveable. And the stepfather, what he came down with a gun ready to shoot somebody but forgets to put it back in the safe and instead leaves it on a table within reach of a child? These parents are poster material for bad parents who keep guns in the house with children and yet they are scapegoating a replica wii-mote instead of stringing them up as examples. Im at a loss, I really am.
I am right with ya on that one. My god...how is this being left unpunished? It should be a crime in itself to act like nothing like this ever happened!

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
This is why I aviod most Firearms

Throwing Knives, A Flintlock Pistol, and maybe a Bow/Crossbow should be all I need for Ranged defense of my home.

Although I'm gonna give HAIHONGCHANG Electronics Company props for making such a realistic looking wiiGun, and wonder why they would make it.

Then again, one could also ask "Why not?"

Anyways, I stilll blame the Parents. What kind of Father leaves a gun wihin a Child's reach?

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Austin MacKenzie said:
...The gun shown on the bottom is a Wii peripheral known as WiiAuto Pistol, a realistic gun-like Wii attachment manufactured by Chinese company <a href=http://www.haihonggames.com/egsjj.htm>HAIHONGCHANG Electronics Company. The peripheral is widely available on eBay, and was in possession of the family.
So it's not a situation of "video games make people violent." It's more like "bad Chinese products kill children."
What? We're all thinking it, what with the past stories of lead toys and poison toothpaste.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
That mother needs to be smacked for lack of common sense. Who sits on a computer when their child is in the same room with a loaded gun?!

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
Well that just shifts even more of the stupid from the mom to the step-father. Still, you think one of them would have noticed?

coldalarm said:
I thought all replica guns had to have some form of distinguishing mark on the barrel?
It's not official by the sound of it, so the manufactures didn't do it.

Joe-Schmoe

Sep 22, 2009
A lot of people have complained about leaving the gun where a three-year-old can reach it...without a safety on. This is a valid complaint, but rather than just restate what others have said, I'd like to add something.

When I came into possession of my first fake gun, not only was I a good bit older than three, but my dad sat me down on his lap and gave me a very detailed lecture on gun safety, fake gun safety, and how to tell the difference. I was also probably somewhere around 10 years old when I first started playing games that involved guns.

With that in mind, it baffles me that not only is a three-year-old playing a shooter with a realistic toy gun, but the parents (apparently) made little to no effort to instill a fear of real guns in her, or what to do with a fake gun. Honestly, I would expect the TV to get shot. I mean, if you give your kid a fake pistol, it makes sense to have some sort of rule like "Only point this at the TV" or "Never point this at yourself or anyone else" EVEN IF IT'S A FAKE.

Also I was pretty sure that, regardless of where it was bought or manufactured, it was illegal to OWN a toy gun that did not have an orange muzzle. I could be wrong though, and it may vary by state.

Oh, and one last thing. I might be totally overestimating the prowess of the average toddler, but I think if I picked up the gun on the bottom of the picture day after day, and then one day picked up the real one, I'd notice that it was a different object. For what it's worth.

SilkySkyKitten

Oct 20, 2009
20 bucks Fox News/*insert extremo-conservative news organization here* will blame the gun periferal and not the terribly stupid parents. Gotta love it when natural selection actually works for once...

Nov 5, 2007
Nicarus said:
I am right with ya on that one. My god...how is this being left unpunished? It should be a crime in itself to act like nothing like this ever happened!
Their daughter is dead, that's a pretty big punishment if you ask me.

Insanum

The Basement Caretaker.
May 26, 2009
Thats strange...Ive never seen a Wii Attachment like that before.

Still...Not good.

Indecizion

Aug 11, 2009
im sorry but NO i HATE nintendo but this is NOT a game related problem

THE FATHER JUST LEFT THE GUN IN THE LIVING ROOM WHEN HE HAD A SMALL CHILD????? WTF he is clearly in the wrong the controller is of no consequence though it too should also probably not be used by children and i mean come on irresponsible parenting much?

Oct 1, 2009
Anyone else think this was intentionally done by the parent(s)?

"Imma leave mah gun hrrr right next to tha wii-gun."
"Lik kay!"

No one could be that dumb. Especially after they thought they heard an intruder. You'd want to keep that gun close to you, and not so much where your kid would pick it up.

On another note, I couldn't even lift a hand gun when I was 4, so how did this 3-y-o pick it up, point it at herself, and pull the trigger.

I smell conspiracy to murder.

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
Wait so did the woman own that peripheral or not? I wouldn't be surprised if they bought it after the death.

CuddlyCombine

Sep 12, 2007
razer17 said:
It isn't. I'm no gun advocate, I don't even live in America. I am sort of against gun owning, but the point is, this it the fault of the parents, not the government.

Not every problem in a country can be blamed on the government, no matter how much easier that makes things.

Anyway, as I said, this is a tragic waste of life, because her parents are retards.
You see, while this excuse might work on an individual level, America's had a gun problem for ages. I don't even live there and I can remember at least five cases similar to this (though not involving Wiimotes). When the public consistently shows that it is, by-and-large, far too stupid to handle open access to rifles, you restrict their access to it. Hell, I'm sure you heard those stories about people showing up to Obama speeches holding assault rifles to protest his stance on guns. When stupidity becomes as wide-spread as it is in that country, you have to start implementing laws.

TL;DR version: We let the retards ride the bus, but we don't let them drive.