Girl's Death Linked to Realistic Gun-Shaped Wii Controller

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Canid117 said:
Lim3 said:
Its America's fault for giving the public easy access to firearms.
No it is the stepfathers fault for not being responsible.
This. I believe people have a right to bear arms within reason (i.e. no grandma you cannot have an AK-47, Bingo Night does not get that rough), but ultimately when you own a gun you are responsible for whatever happens to it or as a result of it being mishandled.

elderscrolls584

Mar 15, 2010
In this situation I think the stepfather is at fault. I can almost understand leaving it on a table, sometimes you just don't get around to putting away things. But that does not change the fact that it was a real working HANDGUN. There's also a little thing called a safety that every handgun has. Lol.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
The poor kid :(
The mother must be distraught.

I don't think that this can be seen as anything but a tragedy.
Leaving a loaded gun around like that, regardless of the similarities between that and the Wii remote.... My God, what a mistake to make. Who knows what the family are going through, particularly the father who left it out within reach.

Tragic.

HotShooter

Jun 4, 2009
First question: Why couldn't the girl tell it was real from the missing Wii-Remote?

Second question: Why is a young girl playing (what I'm assuming is) an FPS?

Flare Phoenix

Dec 18, 2009
In my mind the parents killed her. They may not have pulled the trigger, but they let her play with a realisitc looking pretend gun (even if it was only that Wii Play game where you shoot balloons), and gave her the perfect opportunity to pick up a real gun and shoot herself.

There has to be a negligence charge in this, at the very least!

Raithnor

Jul 26, 2009
direkiller said:
Raithnor said:
They don't want government to tell them to do anything or take any of their hard-earned money away (God forbid, you give it away to someone else who needs it)
1. forced government redistribution of wealth never works in the long run will only stagnate an economy (Cuba,USSR,North Korea)
2. Second Amendment, The right to bear arm shall not be infringed, stops a lot of crimes(Ireland crime rate went up after restricting firearms and still has more stabbing then US has shootings)

this is the fault of the parents not our gun laws
1) Distributing 90% of the wealth to 10% population has it's own set of problems and is entirely possible in our system of government. Countries like Canada, Germany, and most of Scandinavia would also disagree. Government, by definition, is redistribution of wealth.

2) This isn't about the right to own weaponry, it's the inability to force people to accept responibility for that weaponry. You cannot mandate simple firearms safety practices because it would "infringe" on that constitutional right. People also tend to ignore the "Well-regulated Milita" part of the admendment. Allowing carte blanche access to weapons without any responisbility in storing them safely isn't "Well-Regulated". The Admendment was also written in an age of single-shot, flintlock muskets that were highly inaccurate at distance and took two minutes to reload.

Would it be so obscene for the parents to receive punishment for negilgent gun ownership short of the death of their child?

bz316

Feb 10, 2010
I suppose no one has bothered to ask what kind of Wii that involved shooting oneself in the head? Cuzz that doesn't sound like it would be a very popular game...

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
Raithnor said:
1) Distributing 90% of the wealth to 10% population has it's own set of problems and is entirely possible in our system of government. Countries like Canada, Germany, and most of Scandinavia would also disagree. Government, by definition, is redistribution of wealth.

2) This isn't about the right to own weaponry, it's the inability to force people to accept responibility for that weaponry. You cannot mandate simple firearms safety practices because it would "infringe" on that constitutional right. People also tend to ignore the "Well-regulated Milita" part of the admendment. Allowing carte blanche access to weapons without any responisbility in storing them safely isn't "Well-Regulated". The Admendment was also written in an age of single-shot, flintlock muskets that were highly inaccurate at distance and took two minutes to reload.

Would it be so obscene for the parents to receive punishment for negilgent gun ownership short of the death of their child?
as i said it was the parents fault not our gun laws

1)governments role is not to be robin hood it is to educate,maintain order(road,police,fire,ecd.),and to defend. and back to your previous post conservatives believe in Reaganomics(tax cuts and insensitive for hieing) not running it like a farming republic.

2. as i said its the parents fault not our gun laws fault. And the amendment was also written when the cold was considered deadly saying they did not think guns would be this deadly is a bad argument because being hit with a bullet back then was just as traumatic as it is now.
gun safety courses and background checks are a good idea. the IQ test is just stupid because it wont stop any of this and is just a waste of money, the father was a function member of community so he could have passed your test anyway. your "plan" would just lead to needless taxation of middle America(best idea ever in a struggling economy).

Android2137

Feb 2, 2010
Well it does explain everything a bit better, but my opinion hasn't changed. If step-dad thought that there were intruders, why didn't he keep a closer eye on his gun? If he thought that it was a false alarm, but still wanted to be cautious, why didn't he put the safety back on and stow it somewhere out of reach or stick it in his pocket or something?