give me a list of your top ten indie game soundtracks

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
AntiChamber has some pretty fantastic ambient sound. I'm not sure you'd call it a soundtrack though!

Does Minecraft still count as indie? If so, the various snippets from that. Stupidly simple, but really build the rather barren atmosphere of the game (I play single-player survival).

Also, the Sanctum games have some quite punchy music that fits the game brilliantly:

Seconding what someone said about FTL as well.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Rogue Legacy yet. I think it's indie anyway...

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Right.

http://social.mandategame.com/images/mandate_theme.mp3

Note: All these soundtracks are pieces of music I regularly listen to.

So some well known ones and some more obscure titles, hope you like them.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
I not sure if Natural Selection 2 would be considered indie but It's music is too good for me not to try.

SillySam

Mar 15, 2011
The soundtrack to Thirty Flights of Loving is pretty good
Even though it only has 4 tracks [http://music.chrisremo.com/album/thirty-flights-of-loving-original-score]

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Ten of them? Christ, that's a big ask.

Since it hasn't been mentioned before, I'm going to nominate To The Moon.

SmallHatLogan

Jan 23, 2014
Browsing through my music library the ones that stand out to me are:

Bastion
Dear Esther
FEZ
Guacamelee!
Hotline Miami
Knytt Underground
Super Meat Boy
The Binding of Isaac
Thomas Was Alone
VVVVVV

The Squid King

Jan 19, 2014
In no particular order
The Binding of Isaac: The pieces in this soundtrack range from sparse atmospheric drones in special rooms to dense, distorted, harmonically dissonant and rhythmically frantic pieces during boss encounters, but it always has a gloomy and ominous feel to it even during the calmer pieces. Timbre and unconventional harmony are used to great effect and it makes for interesting listening even though you probably wouldn't play it at parties.

Bastion: This was a very interesting soundtrack that was described by Darren Korb (the composer) as "acoustic frontier trip hop". Most of it is acoustic instruments being played over a hip hop beat with electronic ambiance and it makes nice listening if you're into that kind of thing. My favorite piece is the Slinger's Song (I love the melodic material) but this soundtrack has Build That Wall which everyone absolutely adores.

Little Inferno: This criminally underrated game (if one chooses to call it that) had a very well crafted soundtrack. It was mostly sparse and gloomy yet at the same time felt kind of warm, this kind of emotionally ambiguous music is incredibly hard to pull off successfully. The soundtrack is mostly atmospheric so it is probably best to listen to it while doing something else. It is on par with Skyrim and Dark Souls for enhancing any walk though. The soundtrack is free off the games official website.

La-Mulana: A surprisingly extensive soundtrack for an indie game (seriously it spans 3 discs). It would be enough that this game contains 63 tracks averaging at around maybe 3-4 minutes each but the fact that most of the soundtrack is pretty good is impressive. The pieces range from the highly catchy to the just plain epic. I can't really go into any detail given the size and variety on offer.

Closure: Easily the most avant-garde soundtrack I've included and the only one with significant sonic arts elements. The harsh electronics and recorded sounds combined with atonal piano and other instruments leads to a very stark soundtrack. There are some lighter moments at the end of the game but this acts in contrast to the very bleak remainder. Another soundtrack you don't want to play at parties.

Castle Crashers has a soundtrack that is equal parts epic and fun. The soundtrack contains an interesting mix of bubbly and catchy electronic pieces as well as more serious pieces for some boss fights. An erratic soundtrack for an equally fun and erratic game.

Monaco: Atmospheric jazz that is pretty awesome on its own but the music changes based on what is currently occurring in an organic stealth game. The soundtrack isn't cheesy cliche Jazz but it isn't free enough to be an acquired taste. This soundtrack was composed by the guy who wrote the soundtrack for Journey. I'm still yet to play Journey properly rather then a short 5 minute session at a museum exhibition so I can't really comment on it though. I wouldn't know what piece to choose as an example as I don't own the OST for this one, someone has linked music for this game anyway.

Awesomenauts: This soundtrack is notable as it compliments a game that was made as a throwback to cheesy 80's Saturday morning cartoons. To this end the theme tunes of each character are very well done. The moderately paced electronic pieces are not what I listen to usually but they suit the game very well and are catchy enough that I can imagine a lot of people liking them. This one is kind of suitable for parties but you may get some funny looks.

To The Moon: A tear-jerker soundtrack of a tear-jerking game. This score screams film which is appropriate for a highly cinematic game with very little game play. Can feel kind of cheesy at times but it is a beautiful, well written score that compliments the game excellently.

World of Goo: Also highly cinematic, it especially resembles Elfman's work with Burton. There isn't really much more to say about this soundtrack except it is by the same person who composed the Little Inferno soundtrack so it shares some of the same characteristics including numerous sparse textured atmospheric pieces. This soundtrack is free off the composer's (Kyle Gabler) website.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
...Seriously? Nobody's linking the video for the full Bastion Soundtrack? Shame, shame shame.

Because seriously, Bastion's soundtrack was beautiful all around.

Fraught

Aug 2, 2008
For fun, but not particularly affecting, Super Meat Boy and Castle Crashers, from what I've played.

Two soundtracks I've really enjoyed musically are Bastion and FEZ. FEZ's OST is ridiculously relaxing (for the most part), and in the other parts reminds me a lot of Anamanaguchi (who I love/like, depending on what era of them you look at).

Also, for an epic kinda-sorta Two Steps to Hell feel, Mark of the Ninja is purdy good, most of it, of course, fitting what you'd expect from a ninja/slightly eastern asian theme. I particularly enjoy this track.

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
Since my last post was made on my phone and i could properly type i'm gonna make a proper list this time. (Note this isn't in order of most favorite to least. it's just ten soundtracks that stand out)

PuffinBox

Aug 29, 2011
Superbrothers: Sword and Sorcery, the game was alright but the soundtrack is the one of best I have ever listened too.