Give me a reason to not quit gaming

omgeveryone9

Jan 25, 2013
Yes, its ironic how I'm using a gaming forum to ask for advice. Deal with it. My head is full of rage and wanting to vent of steam at the time of writing this.

I feel that at this point playing video games is bad for my mental health. I used to like playing games and talking to people about games, but now things have changed. I always have an urge to play games every now and then, but after a short while I feel burnout and no longer want to play. This should be fine, as it is okay to take a break from gaming for a while, and this did happen to me a few times, but this time it really feels like if this time I'll quit for good.

The main problem is with the toxicity among other gamers. I don't play COD because from my personal experience there are alot of people online and off who are the stereotypical gamer: full of rage and hate. I might play the single player of COD 4 sometime if I can get back to gaming, but that is for another day. Every game I play I hear about X being OP and Y being broken. It feels like if discussing about those issues is like talking about religion or politics: we go nowhere and we all end up hating each other. I tried to play Warframe and TF2 thinking that the community would be different and there would be less of what I despise, but I was wrong.

So please, give me a reason not to quit gaming. If you think the time is right for me to quit, say so. Please don't do anything to increase my hatred towards my hobby. I will turn into one of "them" and become an enraged demon (maybe that's exaggeration)

suntt123

Jun 3, 2013
Sounds like you're just playing too many competitive games. Try something more soothing like Mario, Journey or Bit Trip Runner or something and think it over again.

There's no real reason I can give you not to quit gaming if you don't want to anymore, because playing games is a leisurely activity. One you choose to do. Besides, it sounds like the problem is the kind of people that hang around the games you play rather than the games themselves.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
To me it sounds like it's not gaming specifically thats pissing you off but gaming culture. I've had the exact same problem where I increasingly felt annoyed by being lumped into various groups and declared 'sexist/racist/childish/evil/insane/ragey' because of the actions of others. Moreover that I had to hate EA, or love Half Life, get offended at some games and their design while I must priase another.

Generally being told who I am and what I should do.

The solution is quite simple I find, stay the hell away from those articles and websites that talk about this. At least for a while. What people say about watching too much news is exactly the same for gaming culture, just remove that extra luggage and enjoy the game without looking up others opinions.

Thats my take anyway :)

shootthebandit said:
Four words: grand theft auto five

Need i say anymore?
He's got a point you know...

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Play something not competitive focused? You're playing all the multiplayer shenanigans it seems so try some singleplayer stuff.

AKA Play Persona 4 :D

I don't understand how people can get so pissed about COD or any shooters really. I've played over a year's worth of League and holy SHIT does it give you perspective. Literally 100% no fucks given if somebody rages at me in like TF2 (i'm genuinely awful at TF2 by the way) or the like. I just do not care in the slightest.

Play with the 0/5 Sejuani rolling between each and every lane systematically feeding while employing the petulant logic of a 14 year old as to why it's the team's fault not his, or the bot lane going nuclear on each other because one got Blitz hooked twice in a row, hell even just play jungle a lot THEN tell me shooters are worth raging over compared to this.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Just do what I did. I mean I've basically "quit" gaming. And I'm pretty happy. I occasionally check sites like siliconera to see if there's any update on series I still enjoy.

If a game I want is coming out, I buy it and play it.

It's a real back burner hobby for me. You don't have to give gaming up cold turkey. If there's a game you want, get it, play it, enjoy it.

You don't have to be engrossed in gamer culture and interact with other gamers just to play video games.

kingthrall

May 31, 2011
If I could tell you how many pro-retirement gamer threads ive read, and next week your playing the same game again.

Really pick up another game thats not as dim-witted and full of angry adrenaline hotheads like Call of duty for somthing instead like Myth 2 soulblighter, play it casually and enter a few tournaments once a year and actually get yourself a clan organised. You are missing out on what is lacking in most games a group of online buddies that you can interact with that you know on a much larger level that simplely saying HI, GO/Start game, GLHF.

Ive had a clan for four years from 5 different continents and I know each of these guys really well, even visited a few overseas. We play to win and for fun, and I think you should try and archive somthing of a similar nature.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Just quit gaming. Why would I, or anyone else here, try to stop you?

I basically don't play online games due to the communities surrounding them.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Why are you only playing multiplayer?

Try singleplayer for a bit and see if you enjoy that more. If not, then you should move on.

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
Rather than playing competitive multiplayer, try some co-operative or single player gaming.

I play Left 4 Dead with friends every now and again, and it's great fun!

Oh and we often play split screen Goldeneye 007 Reloaded together. Now that's great fun!

I've been playing a lot of the Batman Arkham games too.

frobalt

Jan 2, 2012
Keep gaming if you enjoy it and can find games you enjoy playing. It's as simple as you can get really.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
It is not our responsibility nor our duty to keep you from quitting.

Play what you want, when you want, if you want. Don't play if you don't feel like playing.

Raikas

Sep 4, 2012
If you want to quit, quit. If a form of entertainment stops being entertaining, why stick with it?

As people have said, if it's the social element that frustrates you, there's always single player games. But if that doesn't interest you, why not take a break? Why the hesitation?

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Try playing more singleplayer games, it's practically the only reason I've kept playing this year.

Multiplayer has just drained me in the past few years as I imagine it would drain others, and Codblops II is my only multiplayer game now that TF2 is crap and Gears of War 3 is a barren wasteland (and also, the 18x XP BUFF!?!?!?!)

Greg White

Sep 19, 2012
Do what most people who like their sanity do and just ignore most of the gaming community.

Your life will be so much better.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
omgeveryone9 said:
Yes, its ironic how I'm using a gaming forum to ask for advice. Deal with it. My head is full of rage and wanting to vent of steam at the time of writing this.

I feel that at this point playing video games is bad for my mental health. I used to like playing games and talking to people about games, but now things have changed. I always have an urge to play games every now and then, but after a short while I feel burnout and no longer want to play. This should be fine, as it is okay to take a break from gaming for a while, and this did happen to me a few times, but this time it really feels like if this time I'll quit for good.

The main problem is with the toxicity among other gamers. I don't play COD because from my personal experience there are alot of people online and off who are the stereotypical gamer: full of rage and hate. I might play the single player of COD 4 sometime if I can get back to gaming, but that is for another day. Every game I play I hear about X being OP and Y being broken. It feels like if discussing about those issues is like talking about religion or politics: we go nowhere and we all end up hating each other. I tried to play Warframe and TF2 thinking that the community would be different and there would be less of what I despise, but I was wrong.

So please, give me a reason not to quit gaming. If you think the time is right for me to quit, say so. Please don't do anything to increase my hatred towards my hobby. I will turn into one of "them" and become an enraged demon (maybe that's exaggeration)
The thing you have to keep in mind is that it's not the gaming community in particular that's toxic, it's the internet in general. There's always going to be haters out there, the internet gives all those haters a voice. Best thing to do is just ignore them or, in the case of online gaming, mute them.

Seems that your issue stems from having a preference towards competitive online gaming...ever considered of getting into single-player/co-operative gaming? Generally the people that inhabit this sphere are more laid back since they don't have the zeal required to devote themselves to being competitive. In the realm of single player games, the only toxicity and hatred you have to deal with are the people that don't like the games you're playing...and they're just jackasses with opinions like everyone else on the internet. One thing you have to keep in mind is that no matter how loud the outcry is against a particular game, that doesn't represent a unanimous decision. There's plenty of people out there that will like the games that you like and plenty out there that won't. The trick is to not get bogged down into an argument with someone that disagrees with you. Start a topic about a game you like and you'll be sure to attract some people to the discussion. "What's your favorite ME3 Multiplayer class? And what load-out do you use?" Sure there's going to be haters that come into that topic because apparently they have nothing better to do than to harp on a game they have no interest in/didn't like, but you'll still find a good deal of people willing to come in and answer those questions because they DID like it.

Buuuuuut if you are indeed just getting burned out on games in general (not that I can blame you, I rarely buy new games and as such have to keep my meager library on a decent rotation...hell, I just beat Arkham City for the umpteenth time a couple weeks ago) then maybe it is time for you to move on. It'll certainly save you a lot of money in the long run. What I'm really getting at is you shouldn't feel like you're being pushed out of the community just because it's rampant with jerks and jackasses who are very vocal about their opinions.

Punderstatement

May 27, 2013
If you're playing shooters try my approach, after each game send out good game messages to people. I have yet to receive a single negative response, be the change you want to see, let's fix the problem! :D But if you can't be buggered you can always play single player games like IloMilo.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Exius Xavarus said:
It is not our responsibility nor our duty to keep you from quitting.

Play what you want, when you want, if you want. Don't play if you don't feel like playing.
I have to ask, as a lover of Rhinos, where did you get your avatar from?

Anyways, by the sounds of things (and by what everyone else has said) it doesn't appear to be gaming itself that annoys you but the gaming community (and it's many, many cunts). My advice is to play some singleplayer games for a bit and seeing if that makes you feel any better. Pick something like Mario, Portal, Minecraft, Asura's Wrath, Just Cause 2, or try and replay some old childhood classics (if you have any). If that still doesn't work then you may as well quit. If gaming itself just isn't entertaining for you anymore, then why bother?

UnnDunn

Aug 15, 2006
omgeveryone9 said:
If you really feel this way, maybe you should quit gaming. There are plenty of other ways to entertain yourself. Why force yourself to have a hobby that only makes you angry?