Give me a reason to not quit gaming

Apr 24, 2008
No!!! Don't go!!!

Only kidding. Do something else until your interest returns. You don't need a firm "never again" decision, do you? That seems like a crazy way to live your life.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
Experience something new, go outside of your comfort zone.
About a year ago I was also burned out of gaming. New games were coming out, but I didn't care. I played nothing but Dota 2 and even it I didn't enjoy much. Then, I decided to spice it up a bit and downloaded some pirated ISO on my PSP, but because of some error I ended up downloading Persona 3: Portable. Boy, did that change everything. Persona 3 was absolutely new experience to me. I've never played any game even close to that! And then I bought Vita and played Persona 4: Golden and now I'm completely new person(a) who enjoys all kinds of games and awaits for new ones!
So go for it! Try new stuff!

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Yeah I'll just say what people have already said:

Just go offline. Ditch the shitty communities, keep the medium where there's wonderful experiences still to be had.

Or, y'know:
AC10 said:
Just quit gaming. Why would I, or anyone else here, try to stop you?
That. Yeah that's reasonable as well. It's your life my friend, I'd say it's a shame to drop the entire medium because of some crappy online communities but who are we to tell you what to do.

Also, the trick to enjoying TF2 is to find the right servers, favourite them and never look back until they're abandoned.

DragonStorm247

Mar 5, 2012
As many people have already said, try singleplayer. If you absolutely have to have multiplayer, go for something more cooperative, like Left 4 Dead or Gears of War Horde.

Sofus

Apr 15, 2011
I mostly play singleplayer games, and even if the game does have multiplayer it's not often that i'm even interested in that aspect. Then again, I only play competetive games with good friends or people I have known for quite alot of years.

My suggestion is that you stop buying games that are designed for multiplayer, and instead buy games which have a good story to tell.

The

Jan 24, 2012
Burnout: Paradise. I don't think I've ever felt a state of bliss and flow in a game, while at the same time wanting to destroy everything in my path. It's great for anger management.

Otherwise, just take a long break (or a permanent on, if you wish). I want to say for a week, but maybe a month could be better, since I understand your feelings towards online communities.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
If youre burnt out on multiplayer FPS then at least you should seek something thats not like anything youve played before. Instead of competitive FPS, go seek something from the RPG, RTS, turn based tactics or 4X genres.

If not that, then go ahead and stop, then see how you feel in a few months.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
omgeveryone9 said:
Yes, its ironic how I'm using a gaming forum to ask for advice. Deal with it. My head is full of rage and wanting to vent of steam at the time of writing this.

I feel that at this point playing video games is bad for my mental health. I used to like playing games and talking to people about games, but now things have changed. I always have an urge to play games every now and then, but after a short while I feel burnout and no longer want to play. This should be fine, as it is okay to take a break from gaming for a while, and this did happen to me a few times, but this time it really feels like if this time I'll quit for good.

The main problem is with the toxicity among other gamers. I don't play COD because from my personal experience there are alot of people online and off who are the stereotypical gamer: full of rage and hate. I might play the single player of COD 4 sometime if I can get back to gaming, but that is for another day. Every game I play I hear about X being OP and Y being broken. It feels like if discussing about those issues is like talking about religion or politics: we go nowhere and we all end up hating each other. I tried to play Warframe and TF2 thinking that the community would be different and there would be less of what I despise, but I was wrong.

So please, give me a reason not to quit gaming. If you think the time is right for me to quit, say so. Please don't do anything to increase my hatred towards my hobby. I will turn into one of "them" and become an enraged demon (maybe that's exaggeration)
Well, stop playing multi-player games. It sounds like you hate the gamers, not the games. Go play something stupid and funny, like the new Saints Row. Go pick up a bunch of Indie games from steam, I find them really relaxing, which is a relief. After all, the whole point of gaming to me is to cool down and relieve stress after work/school. Play a good single player game.

Or, y'know, quit gaming for a while. Go learn how to draw or read a book or something. It sounds like your letting games get you too high strung, which beats the point.

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
If you feel like quitting then quit. I shouldn't need to force you to do something that you don't like. If it's just online gaming that gives you grief then play offline. It's what I do a lot more nowadays myself. It's calm, and when you do go online, which is rarer for me now, it's not as hassling as it's going to be once in a while and not all of my gaming.

nuttshell

Aug 11, 2013
omgeveryone9 said:
The main problem is with the toxicity among other gamers.
This is your problem.
Did you play Baldur's Gate? X? Aquanox? Beyond Good and Evil? Dungeon Keeper? Half Life? Civ? Starcraft? Planescape Torment?

These are all games, you can enjoy by yourself and they are pretty good. You don't have to be a part of a community, to enjoy the things they do.

Edit: I can name more current games if you want.

jebara

Nov 19, 2009
The Wykydtron said:
AKA Play Persona 4 :D
Thank us later,OP.

With all seriousness, try new types and genres of games.
Personally, I was completely burnt out of gaming some point around 2009-2010, but then I tried a game of a kind I normally don't play, and that game was non other than Persona 4 in which, since then I've noticed that up till that point I was playing nothing but triple AAA mainstream games, so I decided to try games I normally wouldn't and got into other SMT games as well as my other two favorite franchises Ace Attorney and Ghost Trick.
I took a distant break from triple A games until I was reeled back in by Portal 2 and Dark Souls, I never fully got back into the triple A scene though and I'm usually cynical about them but this experience taught me how ton look for golden gems no matter where they are and it taught me how to choose my games wisely and now I'm more into gaming than I ever was.

What I'm trying to say isn't that Persona 4 is the savior of all gaming or that triple A games are terrible, its that you need to change to spice things up, put some more variety in your gaming catalog, and you may feel the buzz and freshness of gaming again, may not exactly be Persona 4 but some game that brings a new flavor to you and not the feel of stagnation.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Play single player games then, you can go at your own pace, make as many mistakes as possible and not be judged. I feel the same way about online multiplayer, but there is a mute button, that's what I used to do when I played online. Join me and just stick to single player games, we'll have more fun than those crazy competitive players.

Better yet, play some Zelda, it soothes your soul and is quite fun, best part, there are no jerks to call you noob or something dumb like that. Or you can quit gaming, I or anyone else will stop you, but if you stay, stick to single player to avoid the jerks.

Madman123456

Feb 11, 2011
Well, if you don't want to play then don't play. You can play again later when you want to play again, which might be in a day, a week, a year or whatever.
I don't get this "i'm going to stop gaming for good!". Just stop gaming if you don't want to play and start playing when you want to play.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
If you are no longer receiving any benefits from gaming then you should stop. Gaming is a hobby, and if you are no longer finding that hobby fun then you should remove it from your life. At least, until you find it fun again. You have no obligation to any gaming community to keep playing games.

However, if it's just gaming *communities* that are letting you down, then remove those instead. Play some single player indie games, see if those can spark your interest in vidya again. Or, hell, just some single player games in general.

Ratties

May 8, 2013
Don't really care if some random person wants to bail out on a hobby. A different story if video games were paying the bills for you. Not working in the video game industry, I don't see what the problem is. Example would be like if one of my friends didn't want to go fishing anymore. Can't really see the point of trying to convince someone of something that doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. Of course I feel like these things are just an excuse to get some attention. "Oh I can't stand skateboarding anymore." "Can you people convince me to give it up," (I am just rolling my eyes.)

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
Play singleplayers games, you obviously can't handle playing with people anymore so go play some nice singleplayer games.