Give me a reason to not quit gaming

InsipidMadness

Mar 26, 2010
omgeveryone9 said:
I'm in the same exact boat, verbatim. I feel as if the community is what drives me away sometimes, but I myself am to blame for it because we're all jaded. Nowadays I get upset or genuinely angry when playing, before it was harmless frustration that needed to overcome, now there's a pride that says when I fail at something, I need to feel bad about it and it makes me not want to return. Every time I set a game down I have to talk myself into coming back to it, and I'm even finishing some games I never broke the finish line with out of a compulsion for closure. However my answer is this:

Gaming is fun. It may not be the olden days with the olden way but gaming is an amazing source of entertainment so far different from television or books. So this just means you need to find what makes you happy, even if it's different, and pursue it. I used to play nothing but multiplayer with a set group of friends and we'd practice, play, and screw around. Nowadays we've grown up, drifted, play competitively, structurally without the fun. The competition as a whole is different. I find myself more amused by single player games where I can pursue any end that i mean without obstruction. I realized that I loved playing final fantasy's for the research and the 100% completion; I used to watch my stepbrother play Ocarina of Time and now I can watch people stream anygame or get into the spectator portion of E-sports like League of Legends; I used to play Halo and CoD for my friends and I will continue to do so with every sequel, I just won't have to play it 8 hours a day like a religion until the next one, just play it until I'm content and move on. Find things to look forward to versus complaining how the current X or Y isn't good enough or like the old Z.

My advise would be to get into the hype, do the research, and consume time that revolves around gaming even if it isn't gaming itself. Being a gamer doesn't mean you have a controller in hand or keyboard at your fingertips, it means talking about past and future games, watching someone achieve what you may no longer have the free time to do and enjoy vicariously, or it means getting deeper into your hobby and pile on all the old and new you need to complete with your new perspective in life. And at the very least, the best piece of advise I've gotten for any game of any sort... Mute anyone who isn't a personal friend pregame. Don't let them give you a reason to mute them, and depending on the game they don't deserve that chance. Sportsmanship is unfortunately found in niches so do what makes you happy, and don't take away from someone else's happiness under any circumstance.

krugerrand123

Apr 6, 2010
It sounds like you are playing game genres you don't enjoy at the moment. Try and find something a bit different to play, like an RPG, such as persona or mass effect, where you only have to deal with virtual people, and there are long segments where game play is just talking. You could also give visual novels a shot, as I consider them a game (in the broadest possible sense of the word).They do have some interactivity, and if you find a good one, the story will engross you for hours. If these don't interest you, just take a break from gaming, and see how you feel after a while, or find the genre that best suits you.

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
I agree with the others here who say to try single player for a while. Of course, you may find that, hey, you just don't like video games as much as you used to. I did, and I survived it. If there is a game I want to play, I play it. If not, I've got a million books to read and movies to watch.

Not gaming isn't that huge of a thing, really. It used to be a big part of my life, but I got older and now it's not so much.

Game, or don't. Your choice.

EDIT: It does sound as though you are getting fed up with the hard-core gamer culture, as well. I was never part of that culture, so I can't say, but I've always found the more...dedicated members to be way too immature for my taste. You may be maturing past them, and I think that's a positive thing.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
Maybe an extended break from gaming is exactly what you need. Take some time off, don't visit any gaming sites, don't play any games at all, don't talk about games to any great degree and see what happens in a few months or a year. If you feel like coming back to the hobby then great. If not well, you'll have found something else to occupy your time.

Gormech

May 10, 2012
Second Life. Have fun. ^-^
Find a good MMO.
Try some RP stuff or PvE with friends.
Take a high level character and mentor a newbie for awhile. It's kinda fun.

McKinsey

Nov 14, 2011
omgeveryone9 said:
The main problem is with the toxicity among other gamers. I don't play COD because from my personal experience there are alot of people online and off who are the stereotypical gamer: full of rage and hate. I might play the single player of COD 4 sometime if I can get back to gaming, but that is for another day. Every game I play I hear about X being OP and Y being broken. It feels like if discussing about those issues is like talking about religion or politics: we go nowhere and we all end up hating each other. I tried to play Warframe and TF2 thinking that the community would be different and there would be less of what I despise, but I was wrong.
So you loathe the community, although no one forces you to go online and participate in the discussions. OK. If the mere fact that there are hateful people out there disturbs you that much, then sure, you can go ahead and quit playing, bro. Just be aware that these people still exist in real life, so you might end up feeling the urge to quit living as well.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
AC10 said:
Just quit gaming. Why would I, or anyone else here, try to stop you?

I basically don't play online games due to the communities surrounding them.
Same here. I occasionally venture into online games, but when I was on the consoles I wouldn't have my headset on. On the PC due to typing it is more difficult to avoid and I am normally put off of playing them due to obnoxious people. Although I do not see that as a reason to not play games, just a reason to stop playing multiplayer ones.

I don't see why it matters really. Gaming is a hobby not a commitment. If you are fed up with it then there is nothing wrong with giving it up for a bit. Sometime down the line you might want to get back into it, or you might not. It's no big deal either way, it's best to spend free time doing things you like and if gaming isn't one of them then there isn't any real reason to stick with it.

Kyber

Oct 14, 2009
cloroxbb said:
I suggest just taking a break from gaming. If it is not entertaining, then there is no point IMO. There have been a couple times where I just took a break from gaming. Couple years at a time. I always end up coming back, but I never decide to be a drama queen and ask random people on the internet why I should stay. Gaming is not a necessity, so do whatever you want to do when it comes to gaming.

Honestly, I suggest playing some Dark Souls. It is incredibly addicting, especially after you learn how to play it. Its a very frustrating game at times, but very satisfying at the same time.
Yes, tell the angry, frustrated guy to start DS, that will cheer him up!
OT: like everyone else said, play some good single- player games, no danger of toxic community there. Or if that doesn't sound fun, by all means take break from gaming and if after a while a spark is relit inside of you for gaming, return.

Gronk

Jun 24, 2013
There is no reason to not stop gaming. I think I would too if I could muster the self-dicipline to do it. I find gaming to be a huge time sink that just eats up my time and creativity. I guess i'm just too hooked to quit.

Whateveralot

Oct 25, 2010
While you limit yourself to burning out over multiplayer shooters, I'll just go play other games that are enjoyable.

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
Seems your problem lies mostly in dealing with multiplayer communities. Sure they are all centered around different games and topics, but you are right in that they tend to swirl together.

Take a break for a couple weeks. That will give time to clear your head and approach new hobbies from a fresh angle. When you're ready to come back to games, stick with single player. If a community becomes toxic, don't bother interacting with it. Just enjoy the main game the developer spent time making, and only touch multiplayer for short rounds.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
omgeveryone9 said:
The main problem is with the toxicity among other gamers.
As you've been told by just about everyone by now, try leaving the online multiplayer games for a while :)

I usually get sick of the game, not gaming like you do. I got tired of Injustice: Gods Among Us online for example because I got tired of 9/10 people using the cheapest tricks on me (spamming a single special, constantly shooting and such), then proceeding to message me over and over about how I suck when I leave the game. It's not that I rage when I get beaten or see someone playing like that, I leave and play with someone else, but I do get tired of the game when I have to wait 30-60 minutes to find a single person who plays fair.

So I just left it for a while, playing some Demon's Souls (and man, I was NOT expecting people to be so nice in such a hardcore game, but everyone I came across is great, even guys that invaded me) and only playing Injustice with a friend when he comes over. Gonna get back to online eventually, but a break's always good when you're feeling tired of annoying people.

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
omgeveryone9 said:
Yes, its ironic how I'm using a gaming forum to ask for advice. Deal with it. My head is full of rage and wanting to vent of steam at the time of writing this.

I feel that at this point playing video games is bad for my mental health. I used to like playing games and talking to people about games, but now things have changed. I always have an urge to play games every now and then, but after a short while I feel burnout and no longer want to play. This should be fine, as it is okay to take a break from gaming for a while, and this did happen to me a few times, but this time it really feels like if this time I'll quit for good.

The main problem is with the toxicity among other gamers. I don't play COD because from my personal experience there are alot of people online and off who are the stereotypical gamer: full of rage and hate. I might play the single player of COD 4 sometime if I can get back to gaming, but that is for another day. Every game I play I hear about X being OP and Y being broken. It feels like if discussing about those issues is like talking about religion or politics: we go nowhere and we all end up hating each other. I tried to play Warframe and TF2 thinking that the community would be different and there would be less of what I despise, but I was wrong.

So please, give me a reason not to quit gaming. If you think the time is right for me to quit, say so. Please don't do anything to increase my hatred towards my hobby. I will turn into one of "them" and become an enraged demon (maybe that's exaggeration)
If you don't find games enjoyable anymore then there's no reason to continue playing. It's not like they're not good for your health or anything.

What about single player or coop games? I can't stand being too involved in multiplayer games either, for similar reasons as you. Or what about just avoiding gaming forums and the like? Then you'll be less exposed to all these useless discussions about this or that, and it won't hurt your mental health either.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
There's much, much, much more to gaming than just competitive multiplayer FPS's. Maybe try experimenting with some new genres or franchises?

But if you really want to quit gaming and can't think of any reasons to play anymore then maybe it's best if you just stopped playing games, at least for a while. The most important thing is that you're enjoying it as a passtime, and if you're not then I don't think anything anyone here says can really change that.

Orc Town Grot

Mar 11, 2011
EASY: QUIT! Go and climb some mountains and read some books. Get a better love life and find God. If you want to come back come back as well. Compared to the really good things in life (sex on the beach, scoring a goal in soccer, music, playing with your kids)games are way over-rated. Games are often little more than substitutes for life if you don't (truly, fully) have one. Can't believe everyone trying to recommend different KINDS of games. Just give all of gaming a rest for a while and ask yourself what you actually want to do with the few short years you got down here. The only truly adult reason to be invested in games is if you intend to be a professional making them. As entertainment they are basically all placebos for reality or real achievements. Real question is if you can quit gaming. It's addictive stuff, digital heroin. A lot of people are so far lost in it they CANT quit. (Not that they even want to). Real life requires productive work and meaningful relationships. If you have those in place entertainment comes a safe (and distant) third. Jesus, Buddha, Mohammad and Moses all got by without ever raising a controller. Also, Picasso, Rembrandt, Shakespeare and Jane Austen. Plus everyone else who ever did anything. As a non-gamer you are in esteemed company. As a gamer, its less edifying. Hopes this helps! And (on a more realistic note) SEE YOU ONLINE!

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
I'd say the simple fact that you come here to ask that is probably a sign you don,t want to quit and that's reason enogh... trought maybe thinking changing other aspect of your life or playing less might be an idea

Herzesser

May 7, 2009
If you're not having fun, stop.

You don't have to stop playing video games; you could just stop engaging with the people/groups/situations that are the problem (CoD multiplayer doesn't sound like a fun place to be at all) instead. Sure, the challenge will be lower against an AI opponent but on the other hand, no screaming manchildren.

Jun 11, 2008
Gaming does not equal online multiplier of competitively focused games. So yeah that's your problem right there as already been stated you obviously do not enjoy play games in a competitive atmosphere given the stress everyone is under so go play some single player games.