Give me a reason to not quit gaming

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
In the OP you only talk about competitive online stuff like CoD and LoL/HoN/Dota
Go play games like Batman, Warcraft III, Assassins Creed etc
I almost never play competitive online stuff (occasional LoL) and I enjoy gaming a lot, singel player or co-op ForTheWin!

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
@OP it looks like you are competitive but the egos online turn off. The good thing is that there are competitive singleplayer games that are very rewarding to play but without dealing with wankers.

Just sellect any number of highscore based SP game, if you like FPS then Xotic might be your bag.

I personally recommend shmups are a great competative genre to get into, true the games are quite hard to play at a competitive level but unlike other genres you don't have to devote yourt life to them as they are made to played in 30 mins sessions. All it takes is regular play and the ability to analyse and fix your mistakes.

There are many many different types of shmups at every difficulty level from ones aimed at noobs to super difficult where you can count the number of ppl to beat them on one hand, it's these hard stgs that are infamous among gamers and puts them off.

Just buy Jamestown and beat that, then Download the freeware Blue Wish Resurrection (or BWR+) and aim to beat it with one credit (a 1CC) and post your highscores here http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=27703

If you have a 360, then buy Deathsmiles, Mushihimisama Futari and Dodonpachi Resurrection and have fun with them, with a good d-pad (don't use analog sticks) you will surprise yourself at how quickly you are dodging bullets like a pro.

If you must play with other ppl then try a MMO, if you like the gameplay, Eve Online has one of the most mature competitive gaming communities I know of.

BQE

Posh Villainess
Jun 17, 2013
I honestly don't see the issue with the communities online, especially shooters and mobas. There's a beloved and underappreciated mute people that few people seem to utilize. Back when I was playing Black Ops 2 pretty frequently, I adopted the habit of muting both teams right off the bat.

Why?

Because Call of Duty really doesn't any communication or strategy, it's about as complex as Quake. The communication medium in a system like that will only serve to propagate outbursts and irritation when people die. Granted that muting both times instantly is a poor sign of the state of affairs but it's an entirely teneble solution.

As for MOBAs which are alo relatively toxic, just the same thing. As soon as a fight breaks out, be level-headed and talk some sense. If that doesn't work, report and mute and move on.

Also also, asking Escapist to convince to not to do something is a pretty blatant cry for attention. It's very gauche.

s0p0g

Aug 24, 2009
well, first of all you could try to play more SP/non-competetive games/genres - it's not only since COD and the like that (esp. competetive) online gaming "communities" have a habit of raging like there's no tomorrow.

if you still want to play competetively, do so with at least a number of pals, esp. when playing MOBAs (good lord, people there make FPS-player seem like actually likable persons ^^ ) - that makes it easier to play for, you know, fun - and yes, that even works playing LoL! LoL, of all games! even ranked, even when losing one can still have a good time.
and there's always the mute button, and the possibility to switch servers or whatever, so... yeah

last thing i can think of for now is: why should we give you reason to keep on gaming? yes, we all like gaming. but it's ok to not like sth. anymore from some point on - i am pretty much at the same point as you (except for pondering quitting for good perhaps), but i play only so many hours per month for years now, mostly SP, and mostly indie titles (which often are shorter, which goes well with playing only a bit), so i think i can relate to that, to some extent.
my gaming changed due to a number of influences: work, uni and other "RL-stuff", new hobbies etc. (i guess that's just what happens when you grow a bit older - shifting priorities), and - of course - the FPS (although i do love me an evening/night of Planetside 2 every once in a while :D ) and MOBA communities. and MOBAs need you to play fairly regularly to stay up-to-date and perform at least ok (there's no crime in losing, but i myself prefer being able to play at least acceptable)
if you don't like something anymore, don't try to force yourself into it. that doesn't sound like a good idea to have fun.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
I find it curious that you have a problem with Warframe's community considering the game has no PvP or any competitive kind of play at all, it's an all co-op game.

That said, why not give some fun single player things a shot if you don't want to deal with people being, well, people, and striving to min/max at all costs and whine about new upcoming features?

It really depends on what you want out of your games, and what you expect out of your gaming experience. If you want a challenge or sense of accomplishment, or if you're looking for pure fun, or a well-created story, there are plenty of different options for you.

That said, the games you mentioned are infinitely more fun when playing in a group of people that you have a sense of belonging with. I'd suggest maybe looking for a more laid-back gaming group on Steam or something, and maybe you can find people who aren't gonna whine about X and Y being OP, or use one class and one weapon exclusively because "it's the best" or what have you.