Give my Dad reasons NOT to get a Mac!

BlueberryMUNCH

Apr 15, 2010
Haaai Escapist.

In short, my Dad wants to get some Macs for work, and he is going to get one as his next laptop.
Now, I don't know much about them, but I'm completely against the idea, mainly due to the sheer cost of the things!

Gimme a hand guys><.

...And during writing this thread, I realise things might get out of hand. So keep this civil, and please give me actual reasons, not '0mg 4ppl3 r m0n3y hungry foo1z!!!!1!1!!!'.

Also, you can give me reasons why Macs are actually any good:].

Byaaa I feel like an idiot for not giving more detail about what he does.

It'll mostly be used for spreadsheets, and a lot of email sending. He'll be doing some graphic design too, as well as presentations(Y).
But it's not to a great extent- it's a Pneumatics/Hydraulics/Office Interior Design firm.

...anyone need any of that in the Heathrow area, give me a buzz;D.

Cheers guys!

Mr Pantomime

Jul 10, 2010
0mg 4ppl3 r m0n3y hungry foo1z!!!!1!1!!!'

But honestly, depends on what kind of work he does.

inglioti

Oct 10, 2009
I have been a Mac fanboy for most of my life. The reason I now despise them (I'm writing on one now... damnit) is because of their arrogance and closed business practises.

Apart from their flashy design, they're not that great. And they're hella expensive, but overall they are not deserving of all the hate they receive. Truthfully, if your dad is just word processing, a Mac is a good a choice as any. If he takes care of his laptop, it will last forever.

In closing, my main objection is not to the hardware or software, but the business practises and the prices.

A decent netbook with Windows 7 will be perfect as well, and a fraction of the price.

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
Don't support blood processors! Hide your wife, hide your kids, and hide your dad cause Steve Jobs is coming for everybody.

Dimensional Vortex

Nov 14, 2010
In this economic recession your dad could lose his job at any possible moment, he doesn't have the money to be spending on frivolous things. (I know this is weird since this is a gaming site) He should buy something more practical that is easier for work purposes, or else when the time comes that he actually needs his money for a crisis he won't have it.

Sorry that is the only reason I can think of, perhaps a bigger computer buff than myself can help you more, but of course explaining all those computer schematics and problems would probably stop your dad from understanding you. So just mention the money cost and he will probably reconsider.

Guest_Star

Jul 25, 2010
Cost is a perfectly valid reason to be against the things.
Other than that and compatibility issues, it's just another computer.

RandallJohn

Aug 21, 2010
I don't really know that we can make the call without some more info. What does he do for a living?

darth.pixie

Jan 20, 2011
Alright...arguments to help you:

They are not as secure as Mac Users tend to believe. There are less viruses, true, but that doesn't make it safer. And in believing that they're safe, they may lose more than the average PC user. Also, with a proper antivirus, you'll never have issues.

The lack of software available is rather sad. You have tonnes of options with a PC, not so much with Macs. Some may argue that all the programs for the Mac work...but perhaps I don't like the interface.

Macs are not faster unless you don't bother looking for programs. Windows 7 works just as fast, Firefox or Chrome as just as good as Safari, etc. There is a program for everyone.

The PC is best for overclocks and mods since you can swap hardware easily.

PCs are less expensive, obviously.

The only advantage I can think of for the Mac is that their programs for design and creation are better. Were I an artist or designer, I'd get the Mac.

sb666

Fake Best
Apr 5, 2010
Country
Australia
macs crash way more then pcs my school got rid of all their macs and replaced them with pcs because of this

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Pararaptor said:
The hardware in them is pretty mediocre & yet, they charge as much as Dell would a high-end computer.
That's my main reason why I don't go for Apple products in general. Sure I bet they work just fine, sure I bet an iPod is pretty nice, but if I can get a product that's pretty much just as good or even better for half the price, why would I want to bother with Apple?

That and their malicious DRM practices.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
They don't play games.

Wait, you can Bootcamp it and run games on them fine, not to mention Steam's on it natively now. Um...

There's no right-click.

Wait, Macs have had right-click functions for like the last decade...

Ooh ooh, Windows has better and more intuitive features that Mac doesn't!

Wait, anything like that in Windows 7 was just taken from Mac in the first place...

Um... no Minesweeper? Wait, there are perfectly functional clones available for free anyway. So... Sorry, I'm blank.

I could cite the amazing trackpad on Macbooks, but I don't think that will help your cause much...

SnowyGamester

Tech Head
Oct 18, 2009
My university has hundreds of PCs (Dells I think, never bothered to notice) and I've never seen one out-of-order.
I spent a simester in one of the two Mac labs, and two Macs there (out of about a dozen) bricked.

Other than that, they cost a bundle, don't run windows programs, aren't as safe or stable as advertised, impossible to diagnose when they break (usually just a black screen or inexplicable lockups, they don't have the courtesy to BSOD and/or give an error code), much more restrictive, and have massive hardware compatibility issues (want this driver for osx 10.4.6? TOO BAD IT ONLY WORKS ON 10.4.2-10.4.4! want this other one? IT DOESN'T EXIST!) though that is partly the fault of the manufacturers. Also I'm not sure why people so often claim they have better design software...the same programs are available for Windows, you know.

And why bootcamp if OSX is so good? I thought so.

J-dog42

Aug 1, 2010
We had Macs at University for video editing. They crashed more than my three year old laptop running Vista. Also I found them really difficult to use. That may just be because I'm so used to using a PC. Even after using a Mac I would still stick with a PC.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
RAKtheUndead said:
Thaius said:
Ooh ooh, Windows has better and more intuitive features that Mac doesn't!

Wait, anything like that in Windows 7 was just taken from Mac in the first place...
Xerox PARC. Enough said.
Had I said that Mac did it all originally, that would mean something. As it is, I simply said that Windows took it from Mac; point being, Mac did it first. But even then, I also specified Windows 7, referring specifically to all those cool features that the OS took from the decade-old Mac OSX. Windows 7 is a good OS, it just didn't nail the smoothness of the OS that did all those little things first.

Crazy_Dude

Nov 3, 2010
They only reason that Mac users have less viruses is because people cba to make them for the Mac. Since there arent that many around it isnt really worth your time to create a virus for it.

Anyways you should be fine with a decent Anti Virus anyways.

I however hate the damn things they are pretty expensive and dont really outpeform a PC on a lot of parts. You basicly just paying for the brand. If I were you I would keep your PC or get a better one.

PurplePlatypus

Duel shield wielder
Jul 8, 2010
darth.pixie said:
The only advantage I can think of for the Mac is that their programs for design and creation are better. Were I an artist or designer, I'd get the Mac.
I?m not entirely sure that?s true anymore. There?s quite a variety of programs for both Macs and PC?s in that department. At least I know this as far as photo editors/painting programs go. I?m not sure how the video and music editors compare between the two.

AlexLoxate

Sep 3, 2010
Basically you can get better hardware for a lower price. And yeah, the shitty economy, save where you can.