#GiveCaptainAmericaABoyfriend. How long was I asleep for?

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
erttheking said:
immortalfrieza said:
erttheking said:
immortalfrieza said:
.....No. No it wouldn't be. Unless you're saying that Captain America ALWAYS has to be 100% straight, and can never be so much as heteroflexable. Hey. People can go through their life and discover that they're sexually attracted to just one person of the opposite sex. I know someone who experienced this quite recently. Also let's not act like we get upset when a character isn't portrayed as being 100% true to the original, because I could've sworn that a key component of Captain America was that Bucky was a little kid originally. His iconic Vibranium shield wasn't added until much later, so let's not pretend that there can be changes to the character that people won't be happy with. Destroy the character? Oh yes, because the second Cap sucks a dick, everything else about him goes out the window. Yes, that is the key of his character, and having him suck a penis would destroy everything about him.

Not like we could've had an interesting storyline about him being in the closet due to being raised in the 1940s.
The fact that people in real life have changed their sexual orientation later on in their lives is no justification for a fictional character who has for DECADES shown no sign of being anything but 100% straight becoming gay, especially in a entertainment medium where viewers ROUTINELY SEE THE THOUGHTS OF PEOPLE. If making Captain America gay is acceptable change to the character the word consistency means precisely nothing, it's like turning Luke Cage white, taking away Spider-Man's Spider Powers and then giving him eel powers, or whatever and then acting like those always were the case and having the characters act like it, it's nothing but retconning of the highest order.
A comic book character who has existed for nearly a century of homosexuals being barely tolerated at best, and openly persecuted at worst. If I were him, I'd keep it hidden too, especially considering how high profile he is. And that's without getting into the fact that no one would ever write Captain America as gay before because of those very reasons. And as I've said before. Clearly characters can change, seeing as how Bucky was a little kid in the comics, yet no one had a problem with him being aged up on the movies. Making Captain America gay would be like making Spider-man Eel-Man? Sorry, last time I checked his name was Captain America, not Captain Heteronormative. Except, as I said before, people can discover that they have feelings for the same gender, sometimes only in limited situations. There's a difference between that and physically changing a character. One happens. The other doesn't. I'm not even saying it has to be that he was always like that. Give him a sexual awakening. It happens.
The fact is Captain America has had relationships with MANY women over the decades and never even briefly formed the thought of being gay in even the vaguest sense, not even the indications of hiding it or "awakening" to it. Making Captain America gay would be an utterly backwards to his entire character and his entire history and thus complete nonsense, just like turning him into a Hydra agent is. If the Marvel writers were going to make Captain America or any other heterosexual character gay the only way it would even remotely work would be to have to spend at least months if not years gradually setting up the idea, you know, CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT? Aging up Bucky isn't even remotely the same thing, while turning Spider-Man into Eel Man and acting like he always has been would be, the former is taking an established character with established traits and adding more traits to him, the latter is completely throwing out long established traits and history for the purposes of changing the character to whatever the hell one feels like just because one feels like it or worse for the purposes of pandering. neither being for the sake of a good story.

In short, the issue is making Captain America gay is INSANELY implausible and makes no sense whatsoever, even in the medium that is comic books.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
erttheking said:
Okay, can we not with this "suck cock" phrasing? It sounds about as off as talking about superman eating pussy.

As far as serious comic book canon goes, I think an all out gay romance would feel shoehorned in, but then I always thought cap and romance didn't really go together in the first place, he already has Lady Liberty.

Then again, I reeeeally wouldn't mind seeing cap and bucky making googly eyes at one another.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
axlryder said:
erttheking said:
Okay, can we not with this "suck cock" phrasing? It sounds about as off as talking about superman eating pussy.
What's wrong with the idea of Superman going down on a woman? Cause you know he did that at some point with Wonder Woman, in that comic book where she ends up pregnant.

axlryder said:
As far as serious comic book canon goes, I think an all out gay romance would feel shoehorned in, but then I always thought cap and romance didn't really go together in the first place, he already has Lady Liberty.

Then again, I reeeeally wouldn't mind seeing cap and bucky making googly eyes at one another.
I agree that his core concept does make romances a little odd, given the "Man Out of Time" schtick. It seems reasonable to me that he would find it awkward, always feeling like "She could be my great great great grand-niece!" or something. Or just the whole "I'm awkward because I don't have modern world sensibilities when it comes to dating. That and I'm still in love with the 80+ year old woman with alzheimers in a nursing home." So you know, lots of baggage to deal with. xD

Of course, relationship baggage is the prime currency in romance stories. The more fucked up the players, the better the story as a "love story" apparently. So all the stuff I listed as to why romance stories with him would be awkward would probably make every fan melt in their seats for the idea of it. *shrugs*

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Happyninja42 said:
axlryder said:
erttheking said:
What's wrong with the idea of Superman going down on a woman? Cause you know he did that at some point with Wonder Woman, in that comic book where she ends up pregnant.
If anything, eating pussy is the most Superman thing I can think of, sexually. Superman is a giver, after all.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
Happyninja42 said:
It's not that I take issue with supes going down (on) Lois Lane, but the phrase "superman" and "eat pussy" don't exactly go together in my mind. Then again, my narrative sensibilities when it comes to classic superheroes are probably a little old fashioned. Who knows, maybe they should make an issue where superman wants to get a prince albert but no one can figure out how to do it.

Happyninja42 said:
I agree that his core concept does make romances a little odd, given the "Man Out of Time" schtick. It seems reasonable to me that he would find it awkward, always feeling like "She could be my great great great grand-niece!" or something. Or just the whole "I'm awkward because I don't have modern world sensibilities when it comes to dating. That and I'm still in love with the 80+ year old woman with alzheimers in a nursing home." So you know, lots of baggage to deal with. xD

Of course, relationship baggage is the prime currency in romance stories. The more fucked up the players, the better the story as a "love story" apparently. So all the stuff I listed as to why romance stories with him would be awkward would probably make every fan melt in their seats for the idea of it. *shrugs*
yeah, plus whoever he does fall in love with would have to make an inevitable turn as a hydra agent, so I guess it's practically impossible for the writers to resist.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
undeadsuitor said:
I've been shipping Cap with Falcon since Winter Soldier

I mean, Falcon's introduction is BY THE BOOK "meet-cute [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MeetCute]", while black widow fills the traditional non-romantic sidekick role.

dudes hookin up, no wonder he shot down all of BWs female friends
I totally agree, I kept wanting them to make out when I watched that movie.

Oct 22, 2011
Sleepy Sol said:
Captain America already has a boyfriend: America.

Shamelessly stolen from some dude on Twitter, probably.
-Cap, they got your wife!
-But i'm not married!!!
-You are now, TO AMERICA.

Shamelessly stolen from a videogame.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Sleepy Sol said:
Captain America already has a boyfriend: America.

Shamelessly stolen from some dude on Twitter, probably.
I wonder if Captain America knows that America is a tramp and has been seeing dudes behind his back.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
immortalfrieza said:
Months if not years? Then do that. Hell, it seems like a better way to spend time with his character than "Do you think the A stands for France" It isn't? Why the hell not? Because you have an issue with Cap liking the dick and not with Bucky being older? I need more reasoning. Then add. Don't take away his attraction to women, make him heteroflexable. People don't WANT to do it, but don't act like they COULD not do it.

Implausible? No. People can do it. They just don't want to.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
axlryder said:
erttheking said:

Yeah, except if I said Supes should go down on Lois doubt I'd get people freaking out the same way that I would if I said Cap should give Bucky head. I guess when it comes to people being hesitant about putting in same-sex relationships, I like to be blunt.

Pretty much anything can work if the writer works hard enough. Well apparently Marvel disagrees with you on that one, considering he's now hitting on the niece of his dead girlfriend in the CU. Seriously Marvel, what the fuck?

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
I'm not a comic-guy and have learned a bit just recently. You're talking about characters or a character that is decades old by now and had frequent reboots, right? Or is it all canon? I don't know but I assume that it bears major contradictions in writing. Aren't comic characters that are decades old and as iconic as Captain America not just icons, anyway?

I get it, it's dumb to shoehorn something into some stuff just to appeal to a specific audience when the topic at hand is just a non-trait (or it should be. For me, sexuality is a non-trait. Deal with it).

What I mean; For example Captain America would get rebooted (again). And he would be gay and not just bi. The dynamics would also change accordingly with his boyfriend (in the "previous dimension" his best friend) and agent Carter or whatever his girlfriend is would become jelly or something or is cool with it. But Cpt. America's attitude wouldn't change in this hypothesis. Would you be okay with that?

Well, it wouldn't make much sense if Cpt. America wouldn't have been rebooted at all. But iirc, Spiderman did several times with differing origin stories and abilities to shoot his webs, I think Superman's stuff has been retold time and time again with variations, etc.

I personally would be okay with that if it wouldn't be the main focus. Just as much as his relationship with Carter was in the first movie (which is the only Marvel movie aside from Spiderman I've watched so far). It seems to me that after so many liberties that the artists took in changing canon, those comic heroes (especially the old ones) are 'just' a symbol. And honestly, if you think that Cpt. America is a symbol for straightness, you're no better than those tumblrettes, imo.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
erttheking said:
Pretty much anything can work if the writer works hard enough. Well apparently Marvel disagrees with you on that one, considering he's now hitting on the niece of his dead girlfriend in the CU. Seriously Marvel, what the fuck?
Hasn't Sharon Carter always been his love interest in the comics?

It's a little awkward, but it's an awkward thing that is apparently Captain America canon. And let's face it - a sixty-year time displacement is going to be an awkward situation all around. Judge not, lest ye be...set up on a date with your ex-girlfriend's niece?

As to the current back-and-forth; it would certainly be possible to do a gay Captain America, but I can't help but think it would alter the character in pretty fundamental ways. Not bad ways, but still fundamentally different. You could do a gay expy of Captain America very well, but with the actual character...it's kind of like making him black. It would retroactively make his entire personal history into that of a persecuted minority who gets co-opted into a patriotic symbol during a bout of wartime desperation, with the implication that his public persona as all-male all-white mostly-hetero Captain America is somehow fradulent. Like I said, it's an interesting spin for an Elseworlds-type deal or for an entirely new character like Isaiah Bradley, but the problem with subverting an archetype is that if you do it to the original archetype, he stops being that archetype.

Like how Frank Miller goes "what if Batman was just a mentally unstable psychopath," and instead of making a Batman-expy who is a mentally unstable psychopath, instead just has Batman burn some hobos in a chemical fire. It's like, sure, you subverted the character archetype, but people are going to read that and just say "that isn't Batman."

(No, I am not equating homosexuality with mental illness. The focus is the alteration to the character, not the moral quality of the alteration.)

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Well, Captain America has always seemed rather camp to me. I could accept him being gay but repressed. TBH, I get the same feeling from Bruce Banner.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
erttheking said:
Yeah, except if I said Supes should go down on Lois doubt I'd get people freaking out the same way that I would if I said Cap should give Bucky head. I guess when it comes to people being hesitant about putting in same-sex relationships, I like to be blunt.
I mean being overt is fine and all, but the needless vulgarity kind of seems to cheapen the prospect of such a development. Makes it sound kind of like a Troma parody. Different strokes.

erttheking said:
Yes, but given some of the poorly executed plots in recent comics, I'd say the odds of said writers working hard enough aren't fantastic. Maybe if they can get Alan Moore or GRRM as a guest writer or something.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
No.

Just... just no.

Officially? No. That'd be dumb.
Fanfic? Go (literally) nuts.

Tharaxis

Mar 18, 2014
I honestly don't get the obsession with having to have every male character either created or recreated to be gay or even bisexual. Just like I don't get the obsession with the idea that every female character from hence forth should be strong, independent and fearless. It sounds like utterly bland homogenisation designed to pander and console a quite frankly vocal minority of people out there who honestly are not interested in any of the characters being spoken of EXCEPT in terms of what their gender or sexual orientation may be - and quite frankly they therefore shouldn't have a say at all in that case in the kinds of characters they are.

I'm absolutely for their being gay, bisexual, male, female, trans, etc. characters in comics,, film, and so on. Hell, I'm even for the traditions (man saving princess) to be turned on its head, if it can be told in a really good way, but create some NEW characters that encompass those traits and have those stories instead of somehow demanding that currently existing characters be "changed" to meet your sensibilities or desires. Do you feel that a new character would be unable to become popular with those traits on their own and therefore you have to somehow latch on to an already popular character so that you can better sell some quite frankly ridiculous and infantile agenda?

Does everything need to be turned into a touchy-feely, feel good, "everyone gets a prize", "everyone's opinion matters"... thing?

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
undeadsuitor said:
Well....Captain America's parents were poor Irish immigrants. In the 20's. Dude's already a persecuted minority, which is what makes him so great as a patriotic symbol. He knows what persecution is, and he knows what America stands for. His parents came to this country with nothing, and now because of that he can do what he does. Freedom is the right of all sentient beings and all that jazz.

Making him gay (or Bi), would simply be updating that persecuted minority background to something readers could connect with today.
That's a pretty good point. I understand that anti-Irish sentiment in America peaked in the 19th century (and is basically non-existent today) but maybe the creators had that in mind way back in the 40s.

I don't know. It could work, it might not work. As a parable against discrimination, a black Captain America would probably have more weight behind it, but that's obviously not something you can retcon in.

But who cares, he's a Nazi now. Or something. I don't understand most editorial decisions about continuity these days.