Gizmodo blogger goes all "mean girl" on MtG world champ and the internet EXPLODES WITH RAGE

j0frenzy

Dec 26, 2008
Fun fact for everyone assuming the dude is loaded from being a Magic champ, MtG is not that profitable of a game. Every competitive players has another job. At best, it supplements your income, but can't be used to live off of unless you somehow manage to win just about every big tournament. The best thing 'professional' Magic can do for your living situation is build you a network. A lot of pro Magic players go into game design, either for Magic or other properties.
And yes, she is a horrible person who paints herself in the worst light imaginable. He brings the subject of the game up once and he is suddenly an obsessive nerd. He must be interrogated to protect me from his horrible gamer cooties. I could see not wanting to date him if all he talked about was the game, but that isn't what she says. She just tells us that he is undateable because he plays Magic.
Also, I have provided way too much traffic to Gizmodo over the past 24 hours. I need to go perform some sort of cleansing ritual.

Edit: Another fun fact, from what I can tell, the dude hasn't played in pro Magic since 2008, and that was apparently after a 5 year break, so its not really anything more than a hobby for him anymore.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Hertzey said:
*head desk*

I don't have words for this and how angry I am. As a female geek this drives me mad.
As a male gamer, you know what drives me mad? All the misogyny in the responses.

Seriously, the reaction to this blog is way disproportionately mean spirited. In fact, her article isn't mean spirited at all. It's just "we have different interests" and quips about nondisclosure. Hell, it even goes further than nondisclosure and into lying when he said "I played it when I was younger. Actually, I'm the world champion, and I have a tournament this weekend."

Why isn't there more going on about how the apparent world champion of Magic is seemingly ashamed of it?

Eduku

Sep 11, 2010
I thought this was interesting:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2011/08/30/the-science-of-gawkers-nerd-baiting/

Basically how angry nerdrage can pay her bills.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Generic Gamer said:
This was on /adv/ earlier actually and I agree that it's bloody rude of her.

I especially didn't appreciate her mocking his hobby, but that goes without saying. Frankly there seems to be a misconception that it's not manly to have hobbies and that geeky hobbies are somehow pathetic, but they're no more so than buying hugely expensive face cream that has some bullshit made-up molecule in it, or clothes you'll never wear.
This, exactly. I've got some nerdy hobbies. I read Deadpool comics, collect both genuine warfare fantasy weapons. I can debate Star Wars and Lord of the Rings with the best of them, and yes I've played Yu-Gi-Oh! cards on numerous occasions.

On the flip side, I can have a nice suit and can fit in at a nice social gathering. I can hold my beer, and all that stuff too.

To be honest, if I'd been that guy and detected a reaction to that Magic: The Gathering thing, I'd have just gone "Yeah. Have you got a problem with that?" People like her disgust me. Like the people who thought just because I remembered the way through level one of Doom five minutes after doing it myself was sad.

TurboPanda

Apr 19, 2010
I don't know what's more stupid. The fact that she instantly judged a guy for being a "nerd" or that she posted this horror story on a TECHNOLOGY AND GADGET WEBSITE. That's as idiotic as the Westboro baptist church turning up at a gay pride rally and expecting everyone to agree with them.

Oh and someone tell that guy to move to South Korea.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
So...what part of "insulting" a nerd (and I mean that in a good way, I am a nerd, most of the people here are nerds, nerds are cool now) on the internet seems like a good idea?

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Sober Thal said:
EDIT: The fact that she did list his real name in the unedited original blog is really, REALLY low rent on her part. But what she said isn't half as bad as a lot of peoples response to her.
He's already internet famous, I think it would have been easy for most interested parties to Google "Magic The Gathering Champion" and come up with his name somehow. As she mentioned, he has his own Wikipedia article.

It's a minor gaffe at best.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
I don't understand the argument here,

Wouldn't the retort just be " What are you officially ranked, no contest, best in the world at? Nothing? Then shut up."

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Sober Thal said:
Googles "Magic The Gathering Champion", clicks on first link, it's a wiki....

You mean Guillaume Matignon? That's not who the article is about tho. I don't even see this guys name on this page.... hmmm.

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic:_The_Gathering_World_Championship
He's right there to the right, by the U.S. flag. I think most people would be savvy enough to discount the people from other countries...so it really whittles down to a 50/50 guess as to whether she's talking about Jon Finkle or Brian Selden. And Finkle's page mentions he's a hedge fund manager.

So some quick and easy deductions and some quick and easy Googling and you're at Jon Finkle.

Del-Toro

Aug 6, 2008
He manages a hedge fund and still has time to be world champion in something. She's a journalist. For a niche publication. On the internet, so basically a nobody. Except now the internet hates her. I think he wins.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Nasrin said:
If I was on a blind date and the guy dropped that he was MtG World Champ... I might just skip the dinner part and move right to the dessert hahaha. Look how cute!:

I'd tap that...

*BA DUM TISH!"

Poor Nas, your inbox probably just had a fit.

magnuslion

Jun 16, 2009
I am a gamer. and a bodybuilder. and if a woman has an issue with my being a gamer, she does'nt get to touch my bodybuilt body. screw that chick, MtG world champ, you can do a hell of a lot better.