GlaDOS Gets Screen Time in Pacific Rim Trailer

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
GlaDOS Gets Screen Time in Pacific Rim Trailer

[video=6623]

This time out, Ellen McClain gets to help save the world.

"You're going to see the famous Kaiju overhead throw," Guillermo del Toro promised of his sci-fi epic Pacific Rim back in October, and you'll also be seeing - or rather, hearing - a very familiar AI. We already knew Ellen McClain had been snagged from Valve [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120087-Guillermo-del-Toro-Has-GlaDOS-On-Board-for-Sci-Fi-Movie] for this movie; now we get to see a little screen time, in this latest trailer.

Pacific Rim - or, as del Toro has called it, his "beautiful poem to giant monsters" - takes place in a near-future setting, where immense death-dealing creatures have risen up from beneath the sea to destroy mankind. The mecha used to fight these beings are piloted by two people, using a neural bridge interface to coordinate controls - hence the AI component - with Industrial Light and Magic handling the visuals and Legacy Effects dealing with the practical side of things.

Though the film isn't due until 2013, initial buzz has been so promising that the studio is already talking about a sequel [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/pacific-rim-sequel-works-writer-397646], with del Toro as co-writer. It's far too soon to know who'd be in it, so those hoping for a second dose of GlaDOS will just have to wait patiently. You can do that, right?

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-12-13-glados-voice-in-new-guillermo-del-toro-film]

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
GlaDOS is coordinating some guys piloting a giant death Mech?

Yeah, I see no way this could go wrong at all...

Why not just hand her the world now and save her the trouble of wiping us out...

Requisite sarcasm aside, this movie looks really fun, in a really bad movie sort of way.

nodlimax

Feb 8, 2012
Did I just see big freaking robots controlled by pilots fight huge alien monsters?

*looks to Japan* Ok guys - who sold that stuff to Hollywood?

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
This makes me happy.

I love movies like this, no matter if they turn out terrible or decent. I love Del Toro, too, so hopefully this is good, but I'll still love it no matter what. Anything with giant monsters makes me happy. GlaDOS helps, too.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
Cody Holden said:
This is going to be the most awesome terrible movie I'll have seen in a while.
Yup me too lol, but I'll still watch it. Who knows it might turn out so terrible its decent for a laugh though, like sharktopus.

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
I've been excited about this movie since I found out about its existence during pre-production. I'm glad to see that the trailer continues to look sufficiently awesome.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
I wonder how Valve feels about this?

It would be so awesome if the AI was actually called GlaDOS

Or even...

... what if it directly reference Half Life/Portal lore with an Aperture Science company? I mean we already have established "inter-dimensional aliens travelling via portals to invade earth" that's already SO HALF LIFE! What if Pacific Rim was riffing on Half Life canon?!?!

*squee*

Frontastic

Aug 3, 2010
I actually squealed a little bit when I heard her voice, that was such a wonderful moment. Colour me slightly more interested in this.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
Treblaine said:

They're fine with it. Del Toro got permission from Gabe to use the voice.
I'm very much looking forward to this movie but the disappointment of Robot Jox keeps flashing in my mind.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I like how they put Faith from Mirror's Edge in there too. Any chance of a battle robot free running over sky scrapers?

UltraXan

Mar 1, 2011
"OK, this should be interesting..."
*starts watching video*
"Ok, I see the premise here..."
*Hears GLaDOS*
"MUST WATCH MUST WATCH MUST WATCH!"
*Watches rest of video, doesn't give a single fuck for the rest of the day*

That is my experience with this trailer. Looking forward to it!

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
I just finished Portal 2 for the first time a few days ago. Hearing GlaDOS count down in this movie trailer made me giddy with glee.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Treblaine said:

It would be so awesome if the AI was actually called GlaDOS

Or even...

... what if it directly reference Half Life/Portal lore with an Aperture Science company? I mean we already have established "inter-dimensional aliens travelling via portals to invade earth" that's already SO HALF LIFE! What if Pacific Rim was riffing on Half Life canon?!?!

*squee*
This movie is just the opening cinematic to Half Life 3. Half Life 3 confirmed!

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
FelixG said:
NightHawk21 said:
Cody Holden said:
This is going to be the most awesome terrible movie I'll have seen in a while.
Yup me too lol, but I'll still watch it. Who knows it might turn out so terrible its decent for a laugh though, like sharktopus.
Cant be worse than skyline! Well...I am sure it could... but they would have to work at it!
I actually quite liked Skyline. A nice update to the classic B-movie homage to "ALIENS STEALING OUR BRAINS!"

That said:
I want Pacific Rim inside me. Now.

Alcamonic

Jan 6, 2010
A movie featuring massive robots that do battle, and it has nothing to do with Michael Bay!?

The sci fi geek inside me want this so badly!