GlaDOS Gets Screen Time in Pacific Rim Trailer

Owen Robertson

Jul 26, 2011
nodlimax said:
Did I just see big freaking robots controlled by pilots fight huge alien monsters?

*looks to Japan* Ok guys - who sold that stuff to Hollywood?
When Guillermo Del Toro announced this movie he said it would be: "Giant Fucking Robots fighting Giant Fucking Aliens"

The first thing I thought was "Has he been watching anime?" The second thing I thought was "That sounds fantastic. Here's my money now."

OT: Yeah so Gundams vs C'thulu. We're pretty much fucked. Shut up and take my money. Not sure if Neon Genesis Evangelion or Gundam.
SO MANY MEMES!!!!!

Owen Robertson

Jul 26, 2011
NightHawk21 said:
Cody Holden said:
This is going to be the most awesome terrible movie I'll have seen in a while.
Yup me too lol, but I'll still watch it. Who knows it might turn out so terrible its decent for a laugh though, like sharktopus.
Sharktopus bad? Wrong. It has a Sharktopus. Your argument is invalid.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Hmmm... the impression I get from this trailer is basically Neon Genesis-lite, except with crappier looking mecha.
But... the only mech Evangelion had looked pretty damn crappy, only walked in a straight line, and almost blew everybody up.

Owen Robertson

Jul 26, 2011
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Hmmm... the impression I get from this trailer is basically Neon Genesis-lite, except with crappier looking mecha.

Don't get me wrong, I freaking love Guillermo Del Toro. But this trailer doesn't strike me as being particularly Del Toro-esque in any way. It looks like a bunch of standard action scenes, combined with elements already thoroughly deconstructed by Gundam and Neon Genesis years ago.

I could be mistaken, and it could turn out to be awesome. But the trailer hasn't sold me, and I've already got anime shows and films that provide me with all the 'giant mecha vs kaiju' I need. So yeah... next trailer must try harder...
It's supposed to be a Western-accessible version of "giant fucking robots with pilots". It can't look realistic AND as mobile as the mechas in NGE or Gundam. It's one or the other. Oh also, watching giant fucking robots shoot lasers at aliens? Cool. Watching giant fucking robots sword-fight with aliens? Cooler. Watching giant fucking robots beat the shit out of aliens in bare knuckle brawls? Coolest.

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
If you look at the design specs [http://www.pacificrimmovie.net/gallery] for the mechs, you'll see that they don't all require two people. Japan's only has one pilot, while China's actually requires three.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
GLo Jones said:
If you look at the design specs [http://www.pacificrimmovie.net/gallery] for the mechs, you'll see that they don't all require two people. Japan's only has one pilot, while China's actually requires three.
Well that's because the Japanese have clearly been trained for this, watching all that anime. Giant robots just grok for them, so they don't need two people!

Owen Robertson

Jul 26, 2011
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Owen Robertson said:
It's supposed to be a Western-accessible version of "giant fucking robots with pilots". It can't look realistic AND as mobile as the mechas in NGE or Gundam.
There is nothing realistic about the concept of mecha at all. Realistically, the concept is a technological dead end with no real purpose or strengths. The entire idea of mecha is based around looking cool. With that in mind, I'd rather Del Toro either went for something more non-human and military vehicle-esque, a la Metal Gear Rex, or just went the whole hog and made humanoid mecha that actually look appealing, a la the EVA Units or GUNDAM. The ones in the trailer just look clumsy, badly proportioned and have weird looking heads. Me no likey.

It's one or the other. Oh also, watching giant fucking robots shoot lasers at aliens? Cool. Watching giant fucking robots sword-fight with aliens? Cooler. Watching giant fucking robots beat the shit out of aliens in bare knuckle brawls? Coolest.
You know, it's easy to get jaded with Rule of Cool when it seems to be all Hollywood is interested in presenting people. I've seen about a dozen films over the last few years where robots and mecha beat the crap out of something or other...
I get that. I meant: make them look like they could be real OR make them fly and do backflips. You only have enough in the budget for one when your actually making a good movie.

I think the heads contain the processors and electronics and the rest of it is gears and hydraulics and shit to make it move.

In regards to your other point, why make a movie with giant fucking robots in it if you're not going for the rule of cool. If you put giant fucking robots in it, then make it about humanity and it's all artistic, the frat boys and children who went to see it won't get it and will call it shit (like the knobs in my class who went to see Watchmen). You'd have to advertise it correctly. No studio is particularly interested in making art. It's just about return on their dollar.

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
Yeah... I thought it was a little odd that they not only got Ellen McClain to voice the A.I. but that they treated it so that it sounds exactly like GlaDOS. I mean, what is the point, other then to get fans of Portal to sqee and line up to see the movie?

I'm also not a huge fan of exposition trailers, where the main character drones on and on about the plot. If you feel the need to spell out the story, so that I can understand what's going on, you're not a good cinematic storyteller.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Owen Robertson said:
It's supposed to be a Western-accessible version of "giant fucking robots with pilots". It can't look realistic AND as mobile as the mechas in NGE or Gundam.
There is nothing realistic about the concept of mecha at all. Realistically, the concept is a technological dead end with no real purpose or strengths. The entire idea of mecha is based around looking cool.
At very least, the justification behind the Evas in NGE is that they weren't actually mechas but bionic hybrid clones of the angels that were attacking. Since the angels had those impenetrable A.T. Fields that conventional weaponry can't penetrate, they needed to build those Evas so that they had something that could generate a similar field that would cancel out the one protecting the Angels.

Aaron Foltz

Aug 6, 2012
Guillermo Del Toro makes movie with giant robots fighting giant monsters. At the end of the film Cthulhu rises for the final battle. I want this to happen.

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
Plot seems kinda weak, BUT at least its kind of an original idea to create giant death robots to fight giant death creatures with...so thats a plus.

GLaDOS's voice seems like a strange fit, but its neat to hear it in there, doesn't make me want to see the movie more than if it wasn't there, but its a neat nod to our culture.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
What are you... oh, I see. Yes, technically that is the only mecha in the series. However, for the purposes of generalisation, the EVA units count as well, and goddamn do they look sexy. The mecha in this trailer just look like clumsy supersized versions of the Crysis suit.
But that's entirely because the Eva armour is just a suit.

Call Me Jose

That One Jose
Jul 4, 2012
Cody Holden said:
This is going to be the most awesome terrible movie I'll have seen in a while.
This guy said it best, I was thinking this the whole time watching the trailer as well.

Nicole Maronn

Nov 22, 2012
I know everyone has already said this but yes, I also saw traces of Evangelion in this trailer. Still, pretty cool they got Ellen McClain (aka GLaDOS) involved. I like Guillermo del Toro as a director (Pan's Labyrinth is one of my favorite foreign language movies). I think I might check this out if I'm bored and I'm in desperate need of a movie date night with the BF; other than that, I'll just wait for the DVD and rent it.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Movie not out, fans already discussing sequel. God I love fans. When they're not rabid, that is.