GlaDOS Gets Screen Time in Pacific Rim Trailer

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
I watched it and I was mostly eh about the whole thing.

The plot basically sounds like its just an excuse to have giant robots fight monsters. Unfortunately for me, those giant robots looked like shit. I'm not a huge fan of the "realistic" lookin robots because they're tryin to be realistic with a premise that is completely ridiculous. Why can't they just let the robots be pretty instead of just giant gray blobs?

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
Two things wrong with that video: unskippable advert that wastes far too much time, and not enough Ellen McClain.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
I also note from this trailer's very quick credits that the film will also star 'Sons of Anarchy' luminaries Charlie Hunnam and Ron Perlman

Kapri

Jul 20, 2011
Any one else think the monster looks like a Dodongo from Legend of Zelda?

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
Loop Stricken said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
What are you... oh, I see. Yes, technically that is the only mecha in the series. However, for the purposes of generalisation, the EVA units count as well, and goddamn do they look sexy. The mecha in this trailer just look like clumsy supersized versions of the Crysis suit.
But that's entirely because the Eva armour is just a suit.
Could it be that the robot in Pacific Rim are similar to the Evangelion Units in that they are also suits of armor built on top of an alien body to control and additionally empower/arm them?

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
ryukage_sama said:
Loop Stricken said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
What are you... oh, I see. Yes, technically that is the only mecha in the series. However, for the purposes of generalisation, the EVA units count as well, and goddamn do they look sexy. The mecha in this trailer just look like clumsy supersized versions of the Crysis suit.
But that's entirely because the Eva armour is just a suit.
Could it be that the robot in Pacific Rim are similar to the Evangelion Units in that they are also suits of armor built on top of an alien body to control and additionally empower/arm them?
Not unless the blueprints are intentionally misleading; besides, all the joints are very mechanicsl - if there were organic parts in PR's bots, they'd only be the torso, I think. Also the monsters in this film would seem to be quite inhumanly shaped, so it'd have to be a plot twist to rival that of Shamalamadingdong's.

Maybe for a sequel.

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
Gordon_4 said:
I also note from this trailer's very quick credits that the film will also star 'Sons of Anarchy' luminaries Charlie Hunnam and Ron Perlman
Well that's Hunnam doing the narration at the opening of the trailer. Didn't know Perlman was in it, though (which is awesome!)

From motorcycles to Mech suits, I guess.

Seems like a natural progession...

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Fighting Giant Monsters with Mechs. For Science. You monster.

Also, so we missed out on him making an At the Mountains of Madness movie, and we get this instead? I'm completely okay with this.

Bazaalmon

Apr 19, 2009
So...much...awesome. Having GLaDOS just makes it even cooler. It almost kinda sorta makes up for "At the Mountains of Madness" was effectively scrapped. Gimme some Cthulhu already!

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
rollerfox88 said:
Treblaine said:
I wonder how Valve feels about this?

It would be so awesome if the AI was actually called GlaDOS

Or even...

... what if it directly reference Half Life/Portal lore with an Aperture Science company? I mean we already have established "inter-dimensional aliens travelling via portals to invade earth" that's already SO HALF LIFE! What if Pacific Rim was riffing on Half Life canon?!?!

*squee*
Thats what Im hoping, and at this point, Im ready to start making wild conclusions based on next to evidence to support the fact that this is now Half Life canon...see the portal under the sea? It was yellow, same as the resonance cascade!!! PROOF!!
Cave Johnson here,
Now you might be asking yourself, "Cave, just how big are these robots?", "What was in that phonebook of a military contract I signed?", "Just, why?". Let me answer those questions with a question: who wants to smash some monsters with a battle mech the size of Lady Liberty?
These unstoppable destroying behemoths are the pinnacle of Aperture Science technological development. While those pantywaists at Black Mesa are jerking around with gravity guns - which will never work by the way - we've taken tried and true technology: killer robots, and scaled them up to the size they were always intended to be.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Reaper sounds, GlaDOS, Mecha with aren't from Japan... what is going on here?
Anyways, it's gonna be a terrible movie and I'm gonna love it.

Some_weirdGuy

Nov 25, 2010
Wow, they didn't get Ellen McClain, they literally just took the GLaDOS voice XD. I'd have thought they'd use atleast a slightly different voice filter, but i guess they were going very directly for the 'awesome, a movie with glados in it! definitely gonna see this' crowd. Especially apparent with the countdown XD

It actually seems out of place when I listen to it, a little too 'cutsey' and light for the hardware it's meant to be attached to.