GLaDOS Hacks Steam Games With Portal Levels

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
GLaDOS Hacks Steam Games With Portal Levels

Portal-themed levels have been added to Steam's "Potato Sack" games, courtesy of GLaDOS.

After Portal 2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108965-Portals-GlaDOS-Invades-Steam-With-Potato-Related-ARG] has fully hacked her way into Steam's "Potato Sack" bundle of 13 games. Portal-themed levels have mysteriously appeared in these games, and there's a rumor that playing them could get Portal 2 released early.

It's all part of the Portal 2 alternate reality game (ARG) that has involved strange symbols, code breaking, concept art [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109153-Portal-2-ARG-Unleashes-Flood-of-Concept-Art], and more. That ARG is coming to a head with the addition of these new Potato Sack levels.

In Audiosurf, the player becomes Chell riding a surfboard while GLaDOS sings "The Device Has Been Modified."

In Killing Floor, players have to take on waves of specimens in Portal test chambers. Doesn't it look strange to see monsters in a Portal level?

[gallery=198]

In The Ball, players must roll their ball through test chambers and turrets:

In AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! -- A Reckless Disregard for Gravity players are treated to messages from GLaDOS as they hurtle towards the ground:

BIT.TRIP.BEAT features a taunting GLaDOS background:

[vimeo=22308313]

And how about a "Still Alive" level for 1... 2... 3 Kick It!?

*Update* Amnesia: The Dark Descent also received free Portal-inspired DLC called "Justine." The following video is part 1 of a walkthrough, so those wanting to play it without spoilers should not click.

As for the rumor, Gaijin Games, developer of BIT.TRIP.BEAT writes: "Heck, just by playing the games, you might even help to get Portal 2 released early." A phrase extracted from the ARG hinted at a date of April 15, 2011, so we'll see what happens there. Kindly enough, Dejobaan Games was kind enough to post a full explanation of the ARG up to this point here [http://dejobaan.net/dl/helpme/], just so you can get caught up.

Everything is fine.

luckycharms8282

Mar 28, 2009
HAHA I was hoping for a portal easter egg in l4d2, but that may have been too complicated.'

I wasnt going to get this game, but Im having second thoughts

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
luckycharms8282 said:
HAHA I was hoping for a portal easter egg in l4d2, but that may have been too complicated.'

I wasnt going to get this game, but Im having second thoughts
There is, on the first mission from the demo, there's a jukebox, go up to that scroll through the songs and you'll find 'RE: Your Brain' by Jonothan Coultrain and "Still Alive"

And they've done so well in marketing this game, I really hope it lives up to expectations.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Please please please, give me a portal gun in Amnesia! I wanna go to town with one of those damn grunts, curse them and their inconsistent movement speed!

UltraXan

Mar 1, 2011
I wonder if anything was added to Amnesia... Although I certainly had fun with the killing floor map! Also, I REALLY hope it comes out on April 15th.

Dr. Paine

Oct 26, 2009
They're really going all out with this thing, aren't they? ._. I applaud the Valve team and the people who did the Potato Sack games.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
All of this stuff is pretty awesome. But, still probably going to get Portal 2 on PS3 instead, so I get PS3 and PC.

SoloStoffe

Apr 2, 2010
Do you people belive that the european release date will be earlier too if this rumor is true and fulfilled?

ATmatey36

Apr 12, 2011
This is a really nice way to market a game, I've probably never seen such a way in pretty much any product in a medium.

Frozenfeet2

Apr 3, 2010
All this ARG stuff is interesting to read about but tbh I would prefer Valve to spend more time making their games. They could have just done the portal 2 trailers.

Apr 28, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
...and there's a rumor that playing them could get Portal 2 released early.
Valve, releasing a game early?

I...
I don't understand these words...

Dr. Paine

Oct 26, 2009
Irridium said:
Tom Goldman said:

I...
It HAS been delayed twice. We only need to worry if they release a game early and it hasn't been delayed.

Skylants

Mar 10, 2010
You forgot to mention the best one! Amnesia got an expansion called "Justine". You play as a female being guided around horrifying test chambers by a disembodied voice.

I'm too scared to play it right now...

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
I'm glad to see that Valve has the kind of wicked and subversive sense of humor that other developers would love to be part of the joke. So suck it Activision and EA, I bet not one of your developers has the balls or cleverness to come up with a promotion like this. Then again, even if they did, you'd probably forbid it for something inane reason

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Irridium said:
Tom Goldman said:

I...
Stop speaking in tongues....You're a witch!

Played the Audiosurf "map"/track/song now...cool song imo, and KF Portal map was good, I loved those consiousness or however it's spelt as the trader and turrets having a field medic bag over their "shoulder" xD